2012 Toyota Avalon

I've a number of Avalon fans around me. I've been told that, if you are into "old man" cars like you mention, this is the most recent generation that offers those traditional characteristics.

The later generations are lower, stiffer, get big wheels, and thus get a little more harsh, edgy, sporty.

For what that's worth.

I own one. Car has 89,000 trouble free miles so far. They are known for the fake leather covers on the door hand rests and the console begin to flake and come apart. Mine is showing on the driver side door.

You can purchase new covers for the arm rest and the console on Amazon. It is not leather but seems to be better than the factory oem. I changed the one on the driver side. Not so hard to do if you have the talent but I would have been better off getting an upholstery shop to do it.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing our Crown Vic in the near future and noticed these. I must have a thing for old man cars 😁

Anyways, from what I've read the 2010-12 models are good vehicles. Anything to know specific to these cars- good or bad?

Here is one very clean example with low mileage. Price seems a bit high to me but maybe not?
It’s a poor man’s Lexus with that being said you can’t go wrong they’re beautiful cars

A decade old midsize sedan six cylinder is now an old mans car? My have times changed. I'd drive that Toyota any day over the boat you have.

A decade old midsize sedan six cylinder is now an old mans car? My have times changed. I'd drive that Toyota any day over the boat you have.
Not old man so much in age but supple ride, comfortable, quiet, not particularly sporty. And I can't complain about the Crown Vic she's been good to me.

Here is what I know about 2010-12 Avalons.

I once had to rent cars and travel extensively for work. That year range of Avalon was a terrific car for long rides. The Crown Vic and Grand Marquis were fine too, but I liked the Avalon better for handling and easier parking.

Last edited:
Good cars. But that one specifically has a sketchy maintenance history. I’d pass on it but that is me.

The only thing I saw was the minor accident reported, otherwise seems like it was serviced regularly. Did you see something else?

Love the Avalon.

In Arizona, you have some advantages others don't have. Lots of older folks love the Avalon, and its kissing cousin the Lexus ES.

It is about patience, and maybe friendship. I would wait for a estate selling their Avalon or ES, along with a new car trade in at Bell Lexus or like Toyota dealership. Bring the used car sales manager lunch every few weeks. Let him know exactly what you are looking for "retired persons low mileage AZ owner trade in". Patience is key, if you get it right you can hit a grand slam.

I know the Avalon is discontinued, but if I had to buy a brand-new sedan immediately - the Avalon would be, without reservation #1 on my list.

Back