Honda Battery

We have a ‘17 accord with the 2.4l 4cyl. The battery is now 5.5 years old and is starting to show its age. I was going to buy another OE Honda battery, but was wondering if any of you could recommend something other than OE? The car takes a 51R battery. Who makes the Honda branded battery?
The 51R battery was undersized for all Honda applications just as a cost cutting and weight reduction decision by the designers. You should do the simple upgrade to the 24F battery as shown in this video:

51R to 24F Upgrade for '17 Accord

The basic upgrade takes 5 minutes to flatten the metal tab on the hold down bracket. You can also go full tilt and replace the plastic battery tray and hold down bracket with the OEM Honda pieces from the V6 Accord for a factory appearance. As noted in the video, your engine will crank quicker with the more stout 24F battery, especially during the frigid Wisconsin winters.

I have 51R size in my both Honda originally;

I've replaced after 3years in CRV with that bigger AGM battery for $200; next time ill use the OEM battery again; this bigger battery weights about the double i'd say that OEM 51R

on the other hand, the previous owner changed battery on the Accord in January 2019 under the warranty for some reason; but this new dated '18 OEM works just fine up to this point in 2022

If they had the $55 battery I'd say yes but all I see is

a0de53f5-c79b-4b1b-bb6d-598c72077382.b651c03c008ec24bdde30b72067a74b3.jpeg

for $121. Might as well get a Honda battery cheaper with better warranty.
and that is the one I got for my Honda with no issues. Had 4 years on it before I traded it in....

If you want to do the upgrade for it...College Hills Honda sells a kit to upgrade to a larger battery...include a new tray and a few other parts....

If it's a baby battery like the one my Accord had, do like I did and replace it with the biggest baddest battery that'll fit!(y)
I did the battery upgrade to my 2017 Accord Sport. The change over tray and battery cover is the one for a V6 model for your year (About $55 on line from just about any Honda dealer, no need to change the cables). The parts drop right in and a 24F battery is way less expensive than the 51R, with much more capacity.

Last edited:
I love Hondas but those tiny batteries are stupid. They blew it. I just replaced one in a 2019 CR-V EX-L. And numerous in the 3 TSXs I service.
In comparison, the original battery in my 1993 Toyletta 4wd strippie PU 4 banger lasted well over 10 years. Maybe 15?

The 51r to 24f seems like a good idea. If the dealership has the v6 part in stock I’ll go that route. If the Honda battery is a JC, which sounds like a good manufacturer, does it make sense to buy it or is there another brand? The way I see it the original battery has been though many below zero night and is short tripped. We have gotten good use of the OE brand. The battery has been depleted 2 or 3 time from done lights being left on as well.
The dealer will definitely be your most expensive route for a battery. I bought mine at Costco for around $90 and Walmart has the size for about $10 or $15 higher, but far less than any dealer or chain auto parts store. There aren't that many battery manufacturers so most you are buying a label and not necessarily a better product. Buy the lowest price battery with the best warranty.

Rural King often has a cheap 51R. I have an old Civic and there is no space to fit anything larger.

For the OP with an Accord, a 35 will drop in since that's what the V6 used. The 24 is larger than a 35 and will require additional work.

Just went through the "size catalogue" for 2010 Hondas -THANKS EVERYBODY- I grew no love for the smaller battery.
Folding a tab or altering a tray isn't really "Frankensteining"; I'd want "the fullest compliment" of juice but get what you're comfortable with.

Now if this was possible on Civics, I'd be all in. I've Googled this in the past and it doesn't seem to be easily accomplished (going from a 51R to a 24 or 35 battery).

I wasn’t able to get to the dealership yesterday we got busy exploring the woods. Like some have said engineers designed the car to work with the 51r. I still like the idea of the larger battery but the 51r has served us well. The car has always started strong. I have noticed the headlights will dim a little if I turn the steering wheel in the garage or move the seat back. It’s not much just a quick slight dim then back to normal.

This was a cost cutting measure, just like how hood struts were only available on V6 models. *head scratch* Sure the 51r battery will “work” but it’s not ideal. All Honda models should have had the 35 group size battery, mind you the 35 group
battery isn’t even a “big” battery, just bigger and more sufficient (don’t get me started on the Fit). Honda finally started upping their battery size game in 2018. The 2018 Accord finally comes with a decent sized battery as standard and magically the 2018+ Accord forums aren’t littered with dead battery discussions like the older model years…

I’ll also add that those who make short trips with several engine starts will have the shortest battery life with 2-3 years life expectancy from one of these 51r batteries. The ones who squeeze out maybe 5 years are the one who mostly drive longer distances with few engine starts.

Like some have said engineers designed the car to work with the 51r.
Cars aren’t really designed around the battery size. The battery just needs the correct CCA to start the engine and the proper reserve capacity to keep systems properly juiced when the engine is shut off.

Bought a new 2012 Civic and the OEM battery lasted less than two years. Now my 2015 LS tractor is still working with the original battery. Seems hit or miss these days.

I have a 2011 Acura TSX 4cyl wagon that came with a 51R. The factory battery lasted five years. Replaced it with a Costo/Interstate battery that died in just three years. I converted to group 24 three years ago and bought a Walmart Value battery for $50. Just tested it and CCA measured 50 amps more than the battery rating. Looking awfully good compared to the Interstate 51R.

The best battery in the OP's situation is an EFB group 51R.

Quote from Japanese battery maker Yuasa which makes traditional flooded, AGM and EFB:
"EFB batteries will provide 270,000 engine starts, compared to 30,000 starts from standard flooded product."

EFB batteries are now being factory installed on some new vehicles in the USA.

They are hard to find, but Rural King does sell them.

Back