HM oil in low miilage vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Quote:

I did the same thing except mine was Pennzoil Platinum. Didn't notice it was high mileage oil until I had the old oil drained out. (I don't like Pennzoil's bottles all looking pretty much alike. Us old people get confused easily!
smile.gif
) I went ahead and used it. The only difference is the engine FEELS a little sluggish on cold starts, after about 5 minutes feels absolutely normal.

I'll admit this could be all in my head. This is in my 2013 Impala which I've had for 3+ years.

That's strange because PPHM is thinner for grade than regular PP PUP.

In the 10W-30? If I am reading the numbers right the high mileage is slightly "thicker" but not that much.

PPHM 10W-30 is 65.1 @ 40 degrees C. while the PP 10W-30 is 63.3 That seems like a very small difference to me (not saying I'm an expert on the subject). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/f...eage-10w-30.pdf

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_ca/products/f...c-Motor-Oil.pdf

Oh, I just thought of something else. I did clean the throttle body while draining the oil. It wasn't too dirty but did have a little bit of brown build up. But like I said the difference is very small - barely noticeable. Like I said previously, I'll admit it could all be in my head. It just feels like I need to push the throttle a little further to get going after a cold start. But nothing to lose sleep over!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If regular oil works fine whats the point? If it aint broke dont fix it! Thats my opinion on the matter. I have some PP HM that Im delaying on using since my car is not burning/using any oil.

I agree but I accidentally picked up a 5-quart jug of M1-HM 5w20 and it's been sitting on my shelf too long to return it.

I just wondered if using it would be opening a can o' worms by exposing my seals to the various conditioners when they display no current HM issue.

This has been a very informative thread. Thanks

Use the oil - it won't hurt the engine. Your engine will not become 'dependent' on the HM oil and start to 'dry out' or prematurely age if you go back to non-HM oil.

OK but to be specific, I was not worried about the entire engine, I was worried about the seals.

My experience was several years ago the seal conditioners used to "expand" the rubber and the process did result in degradation of the material in the proces.

Ofcourse, I have great trust in M1 but I wonder how this HM formula differs from my regular synthetic M1 and how the seal conditioners actually work.

Thanks

OK but to be specific, I was not worried about the entire engine, I was worried about the seals.

Do you know what year, make and model the vehicle is?

My experience was several years ago the seal conditioners used to "expand" the rubber and the process did result in degradation of the material in the process.

You had an experience where a high mileage oil resulted in the degradation of a seal?

As far as I know all synthetic oils (and maybe all non-synthetic oils) have seal swellers in them.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

My experience was several years ago the seal conditioners used to "expand" the rubber and the process did result in degradation of the material in the process.

You had an experience where a high mileage oil resulted in the degradation of a seal?

As far as I know all synthetic oils (and maybe all non-synthetic oils) have seal swellers in them.

Thanks, this appears to be a hotbed topic which I don't wish to enter by stating an a position.

My question is what happens to a normally functioning seal if it is exposed to a product which swells it?

I'll let you know! I've got a 5qt jug of PPHM 5W-20 that'll be going into my Odyssey shortly. I'm at 99.5k miles and I've been running bulk oil 5W20 syn blend with no leaks or anything. I just feel like there's a piece of mind that's probably coming from the marketing. I'm interested to see how it goes!

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Thanks, this appears to be a hotbed topic which I don't wish to enter by stating an a position.

My question is what happens to a normally functioning seal if it is exposed to a product which swells it?

ZERO

I agree but I accidentally picked up a 5-quart jug of M1-HM 5w20 and it's been sitting on my shelf too long to return it.

I just wondered if using it would be opening a can o' worms by exposing my seals to the various conditioners when they display no current HM issue.

I wonder if Walmart would let you exchange it for a different oil? If it's fairly old,they'd probably treat it like an exchange with no receipt,which I think they just give you the exchange value of the past 30 days' lowest price. Heck,I'd give it a try and see what happens.
thumbsup2.gif

I will leave you with this thought. I started using M1HM a few years back in my Nissan. I went back to regular M1 and suddenly my lower valve cover gaskets (these engines have four valve covers) started weeping a tiny bit of oil. Coincidence? I'll never know,but I'd never gamble with that again given the choice.

I find this an interesting post.

I highly recommend using HM oils at the beginning of a car's life. Their additive and detergent packs are far more robust. Better dispersants as well. If I buying an off the shelf oil, I'd only buy a HM version, in essence the marketing is simple. They put better oil in HM bottles because they know your more likely to need it and are more likely to buy it. See oil has little to do with how it performs. It's about $$$ and whether or not they can get you to spend them. Since they know people won't pay anything more than they have to, they created HM versions and disguise them as oil's for HM engines. Here's the thing, an engine at 75,000 miles, in my opinion, is just being broken in.

Any (even anecdotal) evidence to back up what Goss is saying in the video? I’ve not heard any. I’ve run mobil 1 10w-30 HM a number of times (and switched back to non hm oils) with no issue. Same goes for maxlife.

C
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I wonder if Walmart would let you exchange it for a different oil? If it's fairly old,they'd probably treat it like an exchange with no receipt,which I think they just give you the exchange value of the past 30 days' lowest price. Heck,I'd give it a try and see what happens.
thumbsup2.gif

I will leave you with this thought. I started using M1HM a few years back in my Nissan. I went back to regular M1 and suddenly my lower valve cover gaskets (these engines have four valve covers) started weeping a tiny bit of oil. Coincidence? I'll never know,but I'd never gamble with that again given the choice.

I will take that advice.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
So I personally would not use a HM oil unless it was to run a car with seal problems long enough to trade it in. Its not clear if the seals are being swelled, nourished, rejuvenated, or whatever other marketing terms are used by different brands of HM oil. Modern oils are far superior to a few years ago, I would just use that.

Note that M1 HM isn't quite like what's seen in various other HM formulas. Several HM oils (including Mobil Super 2000 up here in Canada) are SN/GF-5, making them perfectly suitable for use in new vehicles. MaxLife is even dexos1, so GM obviously approved its use in new GM vehicles.

Originally Posted By: danielLD

I highly recommend using HM oils at the beginning of a car's life. Their additive and detergent packs are far more robust. Better dispersants as well. If I buying an off the shelf oil, I'd only buy a HM version, in essence the marketing is simple. They put better oil in HM bottles because they know your more likely to need it and are more likely to buy it. See oil has little to do with how it performs. It's about $$$ and whether or not they can get you to spend them. Since they know people won't pay anything more than they have to, they created HM versions and disguise them as oil's for HM engines. Here's the thing, an engine at 75,000 miles, in my opinion, is just being broken in.

So this is the economics of Oil according to Dan or is it actually another well known fact I am oblivious too?
grin.gif

So this is the economics of Oil according to Dan or is it actually another well known fact I am oblivious too?
grin.gif

I'm not sure what that comment means.

grin.gif

I'm not sure what that comment means.

I just meant what evidence do you have to support that "they put better oil in HM bottles" and that HM "additive & detergent packs are far more robust"?

Thanks

I have a 2014 Sienna with 35K miles just put in a 6qt fill of Mobil 1 HM 0W20. Figured its the same price as regular M1 0w20 with more cleaning additives. This engine has never burned oil and I want to keep it that way. Only noticeable change I've noticed is a quieter,smoother engine, which is probably just a placebo. I've used M1HM in my other cars in other flavors but first time using the 0W20 in the Sienna. Pretty sure it will do a fine job keeping this engine clean as any similar 0w20 synthetic oil will do. In the end, don't deviate too far from whatever the manufacture says to use, and you'll do just fine.

Last edited:
Great, now my car is going to explode... I knew I should have gone with non-HM. ('08 civic, 155,000 miles. No leaks/burning)

Originally Posted By: dbeau
Great, now my car is going to explode... I knew I should have gone with non-HM. ('08 civic, 155,000 miles. No leaks/burning)

What gave you that impression?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back