Highest VI 0W oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like, in general, the higher the VI, the better. But, is there a certain minimum that is "good enough?" I have been using Mazda's 221 VI 0W-20, but I plan to use M1 AFE 0W-20 next to experiment with the Microgreen filters I bought. M1's VI is "only" 173.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
What are some of the highest Viscosity Index 0W oils for 0W-20, 0W-30, and 0W-40?

ENEOS Sustina 0W-20 has a Viscosity Index of 229! Ding, Ding, Ding - I think we have a winner!

Depends on whether or not you believe their datasheet. The 0w50 I tested came back about 10-15% under the published spec, and IIRC the 0w20 was off by quite a bit too.

Their PDS KV100 spec' is 7.94cSt.
The Blackstone VOA came in at 7.60cSt. That's only a 4% difference which I don't consider a lot.
I have run both oils and can confirm Sustina is a lighter oil therefore it's VI must be higher than TGMO.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Seems like, in general, the higher the VI, the better. But, is there a certain minimum that is "good enough?" I have been using Mazda's 221 VI 0W-20, but I plan to use M1 AFE 0W-20 next to experiment with the Microgreen filters I bought. M1's VI is "only" 173.

M1 0W-20 is really intended to be used in heavier 5W-20 applications. Not only is it's VI much lower but it's 2.7cP HTHSV is higher as well which both contribute to it being a very much heavier oil than the Mazda 0W-20.
How much heavier? IIRC about 30% at room temperature and over 40% at 32F. I'd recommend sticking with a very high VI 0W-20 since you have 5 brands to choose from.
If you use M1 0W-20 anyway, the only real disadvantage is that you may notice slight loss of performance and slight reduction in fuel economy.

Trade you guys some G-Oil 0w20 for Delvac 1 ESP 0w40.

I could get lots of the 0w-40 for you, but I have no use for the 0w-20. I'm sure CATERHAM would try to convince me to mix it in with something else to lighten things up!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: richport29
^ Never even seen the 0w30.

Neither have I. It's not even listed as an oil for sale on there site. However it is included in the MSDS, so it must exist..

http://www.getg.com/docs/MSDS/MSDS_G-Oil_Ultimate_Biodegradable_Full_Synthetic_Motor_OIls.pdf

But these 0W grades may not be actually produced yet.

Cross Oil's SynGard 0W-30 has a 228 VI but as of a year or so ago it wasn't in production yet:

http://www.crossoil.com/lib/docs/pds/PDSFullSyntheticPCMOSNSynGard.pdf

The only thing I don't much like about the Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 has a significantly lower TBN than the 5w-40 version. The 5w-40 is much closer in that regard to LL-01 and similar specifications.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The only thing I don't much like about the Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 has a significantly lower TBN than the 5w-40 version. The 5w-40 is much closer in that regard to LL-01 and similar specifications.

Actually that's one of the things I like about it.
Less competition with the AW additives. I have no interest in extremely long drains.

Well, I certainly know that a high TBN isn't as necessary as it once was. It's not like the regular PCMOs I've been using as of late were even as high as an A1/B1 A5/B5 synthetic. But, I've got to have something to grouse about. And, I'd prefer to extend. I have a heated garage, but changing oil in the winter can still be unpleasant if it's messy enough under there.

Delvac 0W-40 should easily be good for 10,000 miles.
How many miles would you put on the car in winter months?
Change in the late fall then again in the spring.
And yes it would be better to cut it 50/50 with the bargain priced TGMO to make a mid-grade 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.2cP) with a magic 200 VI.

I knew you'd suggest mixing. The car might not care, but I'd have a heart attack, I'm sure. I do enough driving in the winter with it, believe it or not. In any case, once I'm out of Delvac 1, I need to use up my Petro-Points. I've got enough racked up for over 40 litres of their synthetic 5w-30. And it's TBN of 7.9 doesn't frighten me.
wink.gif

I'd just use the Delvac 1 ESP straight, Garak. The VQ37 likes something a tad heavier if you really drive it like it was meant to be driven.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Delvac 0W-40 should easily be good for 10,000 miles.
How many miles would you put on the car in winter months?
Change in the late fall then again in the spring.
And yes it would be better to cut it 50/50 with the bargain priced TGMO to make a mid-grade 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.2cP) with a magic 200 VI.

So that would create an overall better oil, for his application, than Delvac 0W-40? Do you promise?

Don't worry, dparm, I'm not mixing anything.
wink.gif
We all have our quirks and phobias here, and mine is mixing. I don't exactly drive it hard, but the Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 will work fine straight. So did the QS I used for the first fill and the PYB 5w-30 for the vast majority of its life.

@JAG: Caterham does have a point, and I appreciate his advice. I'm just not likely to mix, even though it would make a decent blend, from a viscometric perspective. If I want an ultra-high VI oil in a 30 grade or 40 grade, there are a decent number of options. Heck, there are a couple 30 grade HDEOs up here with very high VIs. In a lot of respects, they're hard to beat: High VI, 0w-XX for extreme cold, HTHS of 3.5 or higher (for those that want that), and attractive pricing.

Garak, yeah you Canadians get some excellent 0W-X HDEO oils and I'm envious of that. I'm not envious of the oil prices there though! With such options, mixing D1 and TGMO would be a big no, for me. Nice viscometrics but unknown performance from additive standpoint. My questioning was inspired by seeing, yet again, opinion couched as fact and of course the VI obsession.

viscosity indexes, i always wonder when this is figured, prolly after the fragile viscosity index improvers are added! top quality synthetics group IV + V are said to need very little and you see lower #'s at times. more GRAY areas in oil formulation!!!

Well, if the TGMO is an Imperial Oil product up here (our XOM), it would "probably" make a reasonable blend; in fact, I'd wager it would be a reasonable blend. But, it would be a no no for me, too.

I'll let Caterham mix me up a batch of Delvac 1 ESP 0w-40 and TGMO in a 5 gallon pail and I'll send him 5 gallons of Mobil Delvac 1340 (with a wonderful VI of 102) in return. The sad thing is we'd both store it in our garages and be afraid to use them.
wink.gif
He'd get the short end of the stick on pricing, though.

For reference, at least from the 30 grade perspective, here are the VIs of the unique 0w-30 Canadian oils:

Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 CJ-4/SM - 176
Petro-Canada Duron Synthetic 0w-30 CH-4/SM - 176
Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 0w-30 SN/GF-5 - 177

And oil prices aren't half bad if you stay the heck away from Walmart and Canadian Tire - unless it's a special and you're an early bird. However, Supertech is always a bargain, and extremely hard to ignore when it goes down to $6 per gallon.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Cross Oil's SynGard 0W-30 has a 228 VI but as of a year or so ago it wasn't in production yet

Yet another one you northlanders can get (or eventually will get), along with the Syngard 0W-20, which we below the border are denied.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back