New Truck - Go with Diesel or....Gas model? Ford 3.5 Turbo took a dump.

Well... I'm sure I'm going to open-up a can of worms here. In a nutshell, I am trying to help-out a buddy that owns a 2019 Ford 150 with the 3.5L Twin Turbo and 59k miles.

Last week, he called me for help and pulled-over on the highway because of a high temperature reading. Checked coolant level and there was practically zero coolant left in the recovery tank. We added a full gallon of new coolant and temps got back to normal. He caught it just in time. Not only that, every time he started the truck, he heard a 'knocking sound" (Which was determined today to be cam phasers and timing chain "slap".)

Anyhow... the truck is very well maintained and only has 59k miles. He just came back from a reputable shop and got an estimate of almost $6k to replace and fix the water pump, timing chain and more... He's not happy and asked me what I would do. (I told him I would never have purchased a F150 with the Coyote V-8. Turbos and that boosted engine are a joke for long term.)

Sooooo.... He's looking at another Ford or GMC with two options - V8 or Diesel powered. No interest in any "Turbo" BS... Any suggestions?

I told him I didn't know much about the Diesel choices and was unsure if Ford offered a V-8 in any of their models (2022/2023)?

What stands-out for reliability these days? He tows less than 9,000lbs and needs to know what his best option is. NO TURBO's for him anymore.

Thanks!

Well... I'm sure I'm going to open-up a can of worms here. In a nutshell, I am trying to help-out a buddy that owns a 2019 Ford 150 with the 3.5L Twin Turbo and 59k miles.

Last week, he called me for help and pulled-over on the highway because of a high temperature reading. Checked coolant level and there was practically zero coolant left in the recovery tank. We added a full gallon of new coolant and temps got back to normal. He caught it just in time. Not only that, every time he started the truck, he heard a 'knocking sound" (Which was determined today to be cam phasers and timing chain "slap".)

Anyhow... the truck is very well maintained and only has 59k miles. He just came back from a reputable shop and got an estimate of almost $6k to replace and fix the water pump, timing chain and more... He's not happy and asked me what I would do. (I told him I would never have purchased a F150 with the Coyote V-8. Turbos and that boosted engine are a joke for long term.)

Sooooo.... He's looking at another Ford or GMC with two options - V8 or Diesel powered. No interest in any "Turbo" BS... Any suggestions?

I told him I didn't know much about the Diesel choices and was unsure if Ford offered a V-8 in any of their models (2022/2023)?

What stands-out for reliability these days? He tows less than 9,000lbs and needs to know what his best option is. NO TURBO's for him anymore.

Thanks!
You do know diesels are turbo?

Also, what problem exactly was caused by the turbo?

The shop is stacking labor.....That's the ONLY way they could get $6,000 for this job!

Guess they're doing 1 bank, Putting it all back together, Then tearing in down again to do the other bank to justify the double labor??

My opinion is.....If you don't like to (Or can't do) engine work, Then don't quote engine work.....Send them elsewhere!

I'll do that job for $2,500 Labor with customer supplied parts (OE Ford ONLY!)

I can see why he would be sour on the Ford. With that being said-the 3.5 Eco-boost out performs the 5.3 to a LARGE DEGREE. I came out of a 2018 Silverado with the 5.3 in to the Ford F150 and it's night and day. I tow 5,000 pounds all over the Rocky Mountains.

He will not be happy with the 5.3. Your advice about engine choices are ill advised.

So-unlike some of the comments above-I have OWNED BOTH.

He needs to fix his truck. AND get a second estimate as stated.
You can tell the mechanic to stop or not start the work. Pickup all the parts and have it towed elsewhere. I have known others who have done exactly that.

Last edited:
Hey Ya'll.. I appreciate the advice. A few things...

He's been doing some research and admitted he does not want the complexity of a "Turbo-____anything" (Yes, I know the Diesels can have turbocharging.)

So, Diesel's are out (Along with costs etc.) It's down to two options with him leaning towards a GMC product. (I think his Ford problems have made him rethink his GM options...) He's heard some stories about GM 6.2L "lifter issues" and is now wondering etc.... Sooo... I supposed it's going to be a relatively "lesser of two evils" type of decision.

Me thinks there are problems with every manufacturer and certain engines... Anyhom... I really appreicate everyone's thoughts. Thank you.

Nissan Titan! Yes, they still make them :D

Toyota stopped using the V8 and went to turbo V6, but Toyota makes great cars and trucks so a turbo Toyota is much less scary than a turbo Ford.

The Titan is better than any Detroit-name truck yet less expensive than a Toyota.
He's never going to consider the Titan at this point for reasons I won't go into here... But... BUT!! I LOVE the Titan and it's V-8 Very highly underrated IMHO.

He's been doing some research and admitted he does not want the complexity of a "Turbo-____anything" (Yes, I know the Diesels can have turbocharging.)

So, Diesel's are out (Along with costs etc.) It's down to two options with him leaning towards a GMC product. (I think his Ford problems have made him rethink his GM options...) He's heard some stories about GM 6.2L "lifter issues" and is now wondering etc.... Sooo... I supposed it's going to be a relatively "lesser of two evils" type of decision.

Me thinks there are problems with every manufacturer and certain engines... Anyhom... I really appreicate everyone's thoughts. Thank you.
Google 5.3 lifter issues......
I will start

He needs to table his emotions.

The shop is stacking labor.....That's the ONLY way they could get $6,000 for this job!

Guess they're doing 1 bank, Putting it all back together, Then tearing in down again to do the other bank to justify the double labor??

My opinion is.....If you don't like to (Or can't do) engine work, Then don't quote engine work.....Send them elsewhere!

I'll do that job for $2,500 Labor with customer supplied parts (OE Ford ONLY!)
The shop told him tonight they cannot even locate a timing chain "Kit/part" due to availability. ??? From what I understand, the 3.5L has a bunch of non-conventional engineering going on which means digging-in and removing quite a bit of stuff to get at everything. $1,900+ in Timing chain parts alone. Labor is like $3,200.

Water pump and thermostat is around $520 (parts) (No labor charge applied as they will be there anyway..) This and a couple other things.. Just shy of $6k...

Every vehicle has issues! There is no such vehicle without a problem.
I would listen to advice from above and consult another shop.

I’m not understanding how problems with timing chains and cam phasers have anything to do with whether the engine is turbocharged or not?

A diesel F250 is going to be like 20k more than an F150 to begin with and like 100% more for maintenance costs.
It really doesn't. He's saying you cannot "divorce" the turbos from the 3.5L and not pleased with having a 59k truck engine going bad on him. (I tend to agree)

So yeah, complexity, whether it be "cylinder deactivation, turbos, DI, AFM etc... He's looking for less maintenance costs period with an emphasis on reliability.

With all the new CAFE reqirements and technology advances.... Is there a V-8 out there without all this crap??

It really doesn't. He's saying you cannot "divorce" the turbos from the 3.5L and not pleased with having a 59k truck engine going bad on him. (I tend to agree)

So yeah, complexity, whether it be "cylinder deactivation, turbos, DI, AFM etc... He's looking for less maintenance costs period with an emphasis on reliability.

With all the new CAFE reqirements and technology advances.... Is there a V-8 out there without all this crap??
Just the Nissan Titan which he doesn't want and will in all likelihood be discontinued after 2024.

They all break. The Chevy/GMC will too. I'd shop around for another price quote and fix what he has. All he would likely be doing is trading one set of problems for another. A $6k problem sucks but I don't know that spending tens of thousands on a replacement truck is the best solution to that problem.

"Tows less than 9000lbs."

How often does he tow?
2021 and older Toyota Tundra with MPFI 5.7L V8. Towing capacity iirc about 10200lbs. Newer models are twin turbo V6.
Same reason I bought my Tundra. Didn't want a Eco, DI and/or Turbo.

If I was towing 9000lbs regularly or daily, I would buy a diesel. Otherwise Tundra will do the job if you don't run into payload issues.

Last edited:
The shop told him tonight they cannot even locate a timing chain "Kit/part" due to availability. ??? From what I understand, the 3.5L has a bunch of non-conventional engineering going on which means digging-in and removing quite a bit of stuff to get at everything. $1,900+ in Timing chain parts alone. Labor is like $3,200.

Water pump and thermostat is around $520 (parts) (No labor charge applied as they will be there anyway..) This and a couple other things.. Just shy of $6k...

Without a VIN....I have no idea what's available?

Thanks!
Power Train Warranty. 5 years and 60,000 miles?

Back