Help Me Find an Urban Commuter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

The ZF8 is better, but still not up to standard. Id get the lifetime warranty on that item.

?

The 8HP is one of the best regarded transmissions in production and used by numerous marques in very high performance applications. The 9spd has been problematic, particularly in early applications, but the 8spd has been excellent.

We've discussed this gearbox ad nauseam on this site since it first made its appearance.

Yeah...about that...Chrysler/Fiat being the cheap trash they are, bought rights to the zf8hp so they could make their own ghetto version, the Torqueflight 8. They make them in South Carolina. Not made by ZF. Not from Germany. Not used by BMW or anyone else.

So why do you think Chrysler did this? Pride of ownership? Nah. They wanted to make a cheaper transmission so they could continue their tradition of cutting quality to save money to allow them nice interiors and features at lower prices. Wonder where they cut their costs on the trans...

So taking the same design, and manufacturing the version domestically that's designed for lower-output applications (behind the Pentastar) is a problem why? It's the same bloody transmission design, I'd hardly call it "ghetto", Jesus dude, talk about hyperbole. There's been no indication that the 845RE is any less durable, or even different from the 8HP45. The same goes for the 850RE/8HP50. Licensing the ability to produce the transmission themselves, from ZF, would be indeed done for cost savings measures, but that in no way even implies, let alone should leave someone to conclude, that they've "compromised" it somehow. That's seriously reaching.

The 845re/850re is a beefed up version of the 8hp45 and 8hp50, FCA's version has extra friction plates.

Originally Posted by Ws6
https://www.torquenews.com/106/chry...-ram-1500-models-over-transmission-risks

From the article:
Fortunately, the company is unaware of any accidents or injuries stemming from this problem and the output shaft in these Dodge Chargers, Chrysler 300s and Ram 1500 pickups was changed to a single stage forging process shortly after production began. This means that the 5,663 units affected by this new recall were early-run 2013 model year vehicles and those sold later on and into the 2014 model year should not be affected by the same problem.

It's a tiny fraction of units produced, and there were zero accounts of the issue occurring
21.gif
This was likely during the transition from the ZF-sourced units to those produced in-house, or heck, these could be ZF-sourced units, as the 845RE was originally produced by ZF. The 2012MY was the first to feature this transmission and the idea was to transition to domestic production of it once the vehicles were out.

Originally Posted by Ws6
https://www.lemberglaw.com/2017-ram-1500-problems-complaints-lemon/

That says nothing about the transmission?

Originally Posted by Ws6
https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/12/dodge-ram-eight-speed-gear-shifters-under-investigation.html

Again, nothing about the transmission, that's gear-selector programming/BCM logic because people were forgetting to put it in Park.

Originally Posted by Ws6
https://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/seven-shifty-transmissions-to-avoid/amp/

Oh, finally one that mentions the transmission!
Owners of 2014 and 2015 Grand Cherokees have complained about the tranny jerking and hesitating when changing gears, and a number have had to replace the transmission outright. Owners have noted that the units can leak fluid and overheat.

So these issues only affect the Grand Cherokee, despite the same transmission and attached components being fitted to the Durango? What about the 300, Charger, Challenger or RAM 1500? Smells like a programming issue and nothing to do with the unit itself. Though I'd expect programming-wise that the Durango would be close or identical. And this was only for the first two MY's of production of the GC with this unit? And the content of this article is, per the author:

Here are several contemporary transmissions that do not have a great track record, according to the drivers who use them.

Constructed based on what, a poll? A survey? what?

It doesn't strike you as a bit odd to reference "user indicated problems" with 2MY's of a transmission in a very specific vehicle, despite its obvious use in others, and then use that as a basis to construct a pretty flaccid case about avoiding it outright as per the premise of the article?

And of course a TCM update to address any perceived shifting/hesitation issues has likely existed since shortly after any complaints were made
smirk.gif

I've now owned FOUR 8HP's, all in Chrysler vehicles:
- 2016 Durango
- 2016 Grand Cherokee
- 2018 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel
- 2019 RAM 1500 Sport

I'm quite sure that this is a much larger sample size than any of the individual owners that voiced their opinion to construct that disaster you linked to above. If this board had a polling function, I think you'd find that the overwhelming majority has had excellent service and no real critiques of this unit in Chrysler products. In fact, I've heard more complaints about Toyota's 8spd on here by a wide margin, than the ZF unit. Maybe you should start dumping on it next?
smirk.gif

Sounds silly, but new Dodge Journey's have really, really comfortable seats, and have a softer, comfortable ride.

I know, probably not what you are looking for, but it surprises me just how comfortable I find the seats when I drive them.

OK the wife asked about a MIni Cooper Countryman. We were next to one of the newer 2017s in traffic yesterday and I have to admit it was far larger than I had anticipated, and certainly seemed bigger than the older design.

Anyone have insight or experience on the Mini Coopers in terms of reliability and comfort? One of my professor colleagues had one and liked it well enough though recommended the turbo engine over regular, and commuted on a semi-regular basis about an hour each way.

Originally Posted by NewEnglander
OK the wife asked about a MIni Cooper Countryman. We were next to one of the newer 2017s in traffic yesterday and I have to admit it was far larger than I had anticipated, and certainly seemed bigger than the older design.

Anyone have insight or experience on the Mini Coopers in terms of reliability and comfort? One of my professor colleagues had one and liked it well enough though recommended the turbo engine over regular, and commuted on a semi-regular basis about an hour each way.

The newer Minis with the BMW modular turbo engines have proven to be pretty reliable. That said, my daily commuter is a 2009 Clubman with 116k miles on it. The naturally aspirated N12 motor is no powerhouse(0-60 in 9.0 seconds) but it returns outstanding fuel economy- 43-47 mpg most days. It's also entertaining to drive- a fundamental requirement for me, as I refuse to drive boring cars.
The newer Minis are a tad bigger and softer, but they are still an involving drive. I

Originally Posted by MCompact

The newer Minis with the BMW modular turbo engines have proven to be pretty reliable. That said, my daily commuter is a 2009 Clubman with 116k miles on it. The naturally aspirated N12 motor is no powerhouse(0-60 in 9.0 seconds) but it returns outstanding fuel economy- 43-47 mpg most days. It's also entertaining to drive- a fundamental requirement for me, as I refuse to drive boring cars.
The newer Minis are a tad bigger and softer, but they are still an involving drive. I

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to avoid another boring drive if I can!

The newer engines. Are you referring to 2015+ or was there a specific year you had in mind? Also if you wouldn't mind, how do you see the regular Mini, Clubman, Paceman, and Countryman in terms of drive, comfort, and utility? I know these are not utilitarian vehicles by any means but is one model better than the rest? Etc.

OP it seems to me with your wife's surgery you'll have to make your decision a LOT based on how easily she can enter/exit a vehicle, not just how comfy the ride is.

I'm quite sure that this is a much larger sample size than any of the individual owners that voiced their opinion to construct that disaster you linked to above. If this board had a polling function, I think you'd find that the overwhelming majority has had excellent service and no real critiques of this unit in Chrysler products. In fact, I've heard more complaints about Toyota's 8spd on here by a wide margin, than the ZF unit. Maybe you should start dumping on it next?
smirk.gif

You should know better than to argue with a read tester by now. Like you I'm not qualified to comment on the 8HP, as I've owned two vehicles with that transmission as well.

The newer engines. Are you referring to 2015+ or was there a specific year you had in mind? Also if you wouldn't mind, how do you see the regular Mini, Clubman, Paceman, and Countryman in terms of drive, comfort, and utility? I know these are not utilitarian vehicles by any means but is one model better than the rest? Etc.

I'm referring to the 2015+ cars. I like the regular 3 door Mini as I prefer smaller and lighter cars. My wife's favorite is the Clubman- both the 1st and 2nd generation cars The Paceman is an oddball- in essence a 3 door Countryman, and no longer produced. The Countryman is the biggest Mini and probably the most practical from a people and cargo carrying standpoint. From a comfort standpoint, a base suspension with non-runflat tires will provide the best ride and still handle quite well- that's the setup I have on he Clubman. Low aspect ratio runflats and the Sport suspension provide tighter handling but also serve up a somewhat more brittle ride quality. That said, you really need to drive them and see what you prefer. I'd definitely recommend sport seats regardless.

Originally Posted by MCompact

I'm referring to the 2015+ cars. I like the regular 3 door Mini as I prefer smaller and lighter cars. My wife's favorite is the Clubman- both the 1st and 2nd generation cars The Paceman is an oddball- in essence a 3 door Countryman, and no longer produced. The Countryman is the biggest Mini and probably the most practical from a people and cargo carrying standpoint. From a comfort standpoint, a base suspension with non-runflat tires will provide the best ride and still handle quite well- that's the setup I have on he Clubman. Low aspect ratio runflats and the Sport suspension provide tighter handling but also serve up a somewhat more brittle ride quality. That said, you really need to drive them and see what you prefer. I'd definitely recommend sport seats regardless.

Thanks for the details! I talked to my colleague about Minis last night and had not realized they were on #3 as the family are a huge fan. According to him always been reliable and a good balance between small city driving, fun, and practicality. He convinced me worth giving a test drive at a minimum, though I have a hard time seeing anything other than the Countryman on spec - but we'll see.

Here's another option- a BMW i3; you can pick up a CPO 2015-2016 for around $21k all day long. My wife and I leased a 2016 for two years and we really liked it. Drive it less than 30-40 miles per day and you will be able to charge it overnight with the included 110 volt charger.

So quick update. Going to test drive a Toyota Corolla and Yaris on Monday.

There is both an LE and SE Corolla on the lot. Some differences in the front though most is the same. Biggest differences I can see are the wheels in 17 steelies versus 17 alloy.

Question: would there be a discernible ride difference between the two? Anyone with experience in a 2017-2018 Corolla in general?

Looking forward to trying them out.

The alloy in theory will ride better due to less unsprung weight.

They don't put 16" or smaller wheels on newer corollas? That's what I'd want for my pothole ridden urban assault vehicle.

There is both an LE and SE Corolla on the lot. Some differences in the front though most is the same. Biggest differences I can see are the wheels in 17 steelies versus 17 alloy.

According to Toyota.com, the LE comes with 16" steelies.

Typo on my part - they are 16 inch steelies on the LE.

All else being mostly equal I'd lean that way for the minefields that are Boston roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back