Help Me Find an Urban Commuter

Status
Not open for further replies.
If comfort is a priority, speaking as someone who owns one of each, I would recommend the Camry over the Corolla. At least drive one, if it's not your cup of tea then that's OK. Of course the same goes for Avalon over Camry. The cost differential is not so extreme in used as when new, but generally you pay more for each step up in size.

For urban driving, no matter what model car you get, I would recommend the base model steel wheels which run 1" or 2" smaller diameter than styled alloy wheels, for multiple reasons. They have taller tires which will give your wife a more comfortable ride. Taller tires are less likely to be pinched and flattened by potholes (they may still sustain damage that can be dealt with later). Smaller rim/taller tires are usually cheaper than low profile tires. The rims are less likely to be damaged by potholes, and if they are, are cheaper to replace. Also steelies are less likely to be stolen.

You can avoid the CVT, if you wish, by finding a low mileage older model year.

A newer Chrysler 300 with the v6 and 8 speed transmission is like driving a couch down the road. Super comfortable seats, nice quiet ride, decent fuel economy, Uconnect is awesome... just avoid the S trim, as those come with sport tuned suspension... firmer than regular but still pretty soft. Also available in AWD, which sits about an inch higher IIRC and has smaller wheels with a bit more tire.

Last edited:
If you need AWD for winter then a Subaru. We have two.

Toyota Camry or Corolla for good all around car with high reliability.

I would be looking into some kind of electric or hybrid.

Look at an 2019 Avalon Hybrid. I purchased one in Nov 2018, and the Hybrid was only $1000 over the gas engine cost which is very low for the Toyota cars. I got a XSE/Hybrid model which is a sport/spirited version with a Hybrid. It has a lot of the Lexus ES350 F-Sport components. It rides slightly more solid then the XLS or Limited versions which some people considered driving a couch, Do not let the CVT transmission be a concern, since this is a very special CVT which a additions gear and it handles just like a conventional transmission.
I suggest you compare a nicely set up Camry Hybrid to a Avalon Hybrid. in ride and cost. I suspect you would buy the Avalon /Hybrid with 43 mpg and Lexus features

Are we talking new cars?

I haven't driven a new one, but I would certainly not consider G2 or G3 Prius to have a good ride.

Generally a larger heavier car has a more comfortable ride, but I would think a larger heavier car would be counter to an urban enviroment.

Lotta comments form the motomedia that the MK VII Jetta is softened up.

Looked an any Hondas?

Originally Posted by NewEnglander
I'm looking around trying to find a second comfortable car for the wife and I for commuting purposes. Initially thinking something with utilitarian purpose but we're now more focused on comfort for an urban environment, say a couple hours of driving per day. We're re-opening the search to all brands and styles as nothing has really stood out to us quite yet.

Some notes and thoughts from the search thus far:

-I had always ruled out VW in the past as my father was VW mechanic growing up and swore he'd never set foot in one again. I've been reading up on the 1.4T engine and what appears to be much improved reliability over the last few years. Color me intrigued and interested in folks experience with the base Jetta and Golf. Maybe a Passat?

-Subaru Legacy was on the top of the list but the one I had my eye on was sold, but could revisit. Same with the Outback. Seeing some compelling pricing options on VW and Toyota versus Subaru so made me think twice from my initial leaning.

-Toyota Corolla and Avalon have struck me as interesting options. I noticed some stuff online about the CVT in the Corolla and not sure if to take seriously or not. On the Avalon, I hear wonderfully comfortable - but is it too big and too thirsty? I suppose the Camry fits in the middle but always struck me as a car that does everything well enough though nothing well in particular. If I should rethink, say so.

Any and all feedback welcome. I will stay on top of questions as best I can - and thank you in advance.

My advice is to stick with brands/models actually made in Japan, unless reliability comes second to other things.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
If you're going for a VW get a Golf over a Jetta. I've owned both in MK4 flavour and am a city slicker. The Golf's minor size difference and better visibility will be more pronounced in a city car.

Thanks for the view. My hesitation here comes from that I already have a small hatchback...which comes to think of it, was designed by the same guy who designed the MK4...but more seriously 1) Don't overly duplicate a function I already have 2) How does it ride? Is it truly a comfortable car that rides "bigger" than it is?

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by Rolla07
Corolla and Avalon are two very different vehicles. Econobox to luxury. I would have no issue driving my old 07 Corolla 2hrs per day plus and im 6ft6 over 300lbs. Avalon would def be more comfortable but depends on your needs etc. Test drive your choices and further narrow down your list. Whats your budget?

I like to aim for 3-4 year old potentially off lease type cars. This time around 1-2 years is fine and older OK if lower mileage with a good track record.

Pretty open on budget though most of what I'm looking at falls in that 11-16K range.

On the Corolla any idea how the CVT has been holding up? There are 17's and 18's all over Hertz lots up this way at a superb rate.

CR hasn't reported any problems with the CVT worth worrying about. Toyota was ahead of the curve on that tech and I think they've got the bugs worked out.

That was my impression but I am wont to borrow worry when it comes to what the wife is driving these days. Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
For city driving, stick with a hatchback, crossover, wagon, or small SUV. Sedans lack a rear wiper which makes it nearly impossible to see out your back window when it is raining or snowing. Sedans clear their back windows easily at highway speeds but when you are stuck in stop and go traffic, a wiper is a very nice feature to have.

Can't go wrong with a Forester or Outback. Get a newer one with Eyesight, the system handles city traffic nicely.

You're not wrong. I love my little hatchback for that exact reason, and Subaru was my initial gut instinct before I decided to have a little more fun and expand the search. If it does end up being a Subaru it will definitely have the 2nd generation Eyesight.

But now that I notice your signature...how do you like the C-Max?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
A newer Chrysler 300 with the v6 and 8 speed transmission is like driving a couch down the road. Super comfortable seats, nice quiet ride, decent fuel economy, Uconnect is awesome... just avoid the S trim, as those come with sport tuned suspension... firmer than regular but still pretty soft. Also available in AWD, which sits about an inch higher IIRC and has smaller wheels with a bit more tire.

This is one of the many reasons I love BITOG. This is something that I would never have considered unless someone pointed me in this direction. It sounds like a fascinating proposition and worth reading up on a bit more. Gracias mi amigo.

This is one of the many reasons I love BITOG. This is something that I would never have considered unless someone pointed me in this direction. It sounds like a fascinating proposition and worth reading up on a bit more. Gracias mi amigo.

Keep in mind that it's a Chrysler/Fiat product, though, and plan accordingly. MSRP also goes for close to $50K if you option that particular vehicle out, as described above. I considered something like a Charger AWD with one of their lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranties to offset their typical ownership experience, but went with my CX5 instead. It's a better performer in the speed and handling department, and gets far better mpg, while offering much higher quality, higher ground clearance, and more storage utility with the "hatch"/CUV configuration. If you're looking at a Chrysler 300 AWD, I'd recommend checking out the CX5 Signature or GTR like I got. It's better in literally every way I can come up with to compare. I have slowly transitioned from cars to smaller SUV's, and the added utility has been very worth it for me.

*I owned a Chrysler once, against my friends recommendations and Consumer Reports and every other bit of data out there. Yes, they are just as poorly made out of just as low quality raw materials as the rumors suggest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
I'm looking around trying to find a second comfortable car for the wife and I for commuting purposes. Initially thinking something with utilitarian purpose but we're now more focused on comfort for an urban environment, say a couple hours of driving per day. We're re-opening the search to all brands and styles as nothing has really stood out to us quite yet.

-I had always ruled out VW in the past as my father was VW mechanic growing up and swore he'd never set foot in one again. I've been reading up on the 1.4T engine and what appears to be much improved reliability over the last few years. Color me intrigued and interested in folks experience with the base Jetta and Golf. Maybe a Passat?

-Subaru Legacy was on the top of the list but the one I had my eye on was sold, but could revisit. Same with the Outback. Seeing some compelling pricing options on VW and Toyota versus Subaru so made me think twice from my initial leaning.

-Toyota Corolla and Avalon have struck me as interesting options. I noticed some stuff online about the CVT in the Corolla and not sure if to take seriously or not. On the Avalon, I hear wonderfully comfortable - but is it too big and too thirsty? I suppose the Camry fits in the middle but always struck me as a car that does everything well enough though nothing well in particular. If I should rethink, say so.

Any and all feedback welcome. I will stay on top of questions as best I can - and thank you in advance.

My advice is to stick with brands/models actually made in Japan, unless reliability comes second to other things.

I'm not disagreeing but what cars are still made in Japan that are sold in the US? Prius, sure, but I assume you are leaning toward the luxury brands as I'm under the impression the vast majority of Japanese engineered autos sold here are now made somewhere in North America. Did you have any particular recommendations?

Originally Posted by Ws6

I'm not disagreeing but what cars are still made in Japan that are sold in the US? Prius, sure, but I assume you are leaning toward the luxury brands as I'm under the impression the vast majority of Japanese engineered autos sold here are now made somewhere in North America. Did you have any particular recommendations?

Yes, my CX5 GTR is 100% JDM (or probably like 99% or something). It fits the bill:

-AWD
-Tons of safety and tech features
-87-93 octane supported, with max power using 93.
-0-60 in 6.2 seconds
-22 city, 27 highway, but I am averaging 25mpg for my life time ownership so far in daily commute
-CX5 and CX9 drivetrain (which this one uses) have consistently been VERY reliable and high quality
-Very quiet ride, around 67-68dB according to Mazda, 65dB according to one of the auto magazines that tested the 2017 model CX5 at 70mph.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Keep in mind that it's a Chrysler/Fiat product, though, and plan accordingly. MSRP also goes for close to $50K if you option that particular vehicle out, as described above. I considered something like a Charger AWD with one of their lifetime bumper-to-bumper warranties to offset their typical ownership experience, but went with my CX5 instead. It's a better performer in the speed and handling department, and gets far better mpg, while offering much higher quality, higher ground clearance, and more storage utility with the "hatch"/CUV configuration. If you're looking at a Chrysler 300 AWD, I'd recommend checking out the CX5 Signature or GTR like I got. It's better in literally every way I can come up with to compare. I have slowly transitioned from cars to smaller SUV's, and the added utility has been very worth it for me.

*I owned a Chrysler once, against my friends recommendations and Consumer Reports and every other bit of data out there. Yes, they are just as poorly made out of just as low quality raw materials as the rumors suggest.

Thanks. That was my initial read but having not heard otherwise or read up on them I found it refreshing to hear an alternative view and learn about a car I knew little about! To me half the fun of a new car is the research process.

Last edited:
Avalon/Camry are luxury car compared to a Corolla. I would not bother with Corolla. I believe the only advantage of Corolla is price new and slight MPG improvements.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Thanks. That was my initial read but having not heard otherwise or read up on them I found it refreshing to hear an alternative view and learn about a car I knew little about! To me half the fun of a new car is the research process.

Roger that. I just hate Chrysler because of all the apologists and feeling "duped" into buying one, and the dealership being all "Bro, you're gonna love it after we finish fixing this one last expensive thing..." time after time after time after...

Originally Posted by madRiver
Avalon/Camry are luxury car compared to a Corolla. I would not bother with Corolla. I believe the only advantage of Corolla is price new and slight MPG improvements.

That's been my assessment. My bigger question is how tricky is the Avalon to navigate around a city? It may seem an odd question but my Rio is 159 inches or thereabouts in length versus the 190+ on an Avalon. A difference to be sure but probably a challenge more theoretical than practical.

Originally Posted by madRiver

That's been my assessment. My bigger question is how tricky is the Avalon to navigate around a city? It may seem an odd question but my Rio is 159 inches or thereabouts in length versus the 190+ on an Avalon. A difference to be sure but probably a challenge more theoretical than practical.

We took a 20+ passenger van through Boston with no issues when I was a kid...?
CX5 is 179.1". Chrysler 300 is 198.6".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back