Has Ford switched back to 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
DI + Turbos = 5w30. Dilution and shear are likely the issue. I am finding that a lot of the DI users (not just Ford) are keeping to 5w30. Hyundai did that with some of their GDi.

We just got a new fusion in our fleet (first time we were willing to go with a Ford Sedan in about 12 years). Reading/finding the specs in the owners manual was awkward. I forget how many engine options they had (from the 1.5T and up). The Turbos were 5w30 and the NA were 5w20.

So Ford has not switched back at all...

+1

Unfortunately, it'll be portrayed on here as Ford going back to 5w-30 because of towing requirements in Death Valley and "protection" versus what it actually is...using 10w-60 doesn't give me additional "protection", it just makes my car run like [censored]. With the advent of DI, "protection" can be thought of as a multi-edged sword where the oil grade recommendation and other specs are related to the DI component and not free reign to run 20w-50 in it because "Ford got it wrong". Then again, this is the only board I'm aware of where people who buy DI cars are called "early adopters"...that's with currently over 40% of the new car market being DI vehicles and DI cars being sold in numbers for the last decade...that's beyond hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of recall debates - some jump Toyota or whoever for having them - others praised the call for action.
[censored] if you do - [censored] if you don't ...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's the reason that I personally sought out Motorcraft 5W20 syn blend before crossing the Valley in my rental Maxima when it was a quart low, as it was the only oil that would ensure that I made it.

How many broken down cars did you pass when you crossed ? Must have been nice having no other cars on the road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
DI + Turbos = 5w30. Dilution and shear are likely the issue. I am finding that a lot of the DI users (not just Ford) are keeping to 5w30. Hyundai did that with some of their GDi.

We just got a new fusion in our fleet (first time we were willing to go with a Ford Sedan in about 12 years). Reading/finding the specs in the owners manual was awkward. I forget how many engine options they had (from the 1.5T and up). The Turbos were 5w30 and the NA were 5w20.

So Ford has not switched back at all...

+1

Unfortunately, it'll be portrayed on here as Ford going back to 5w-30 because of towing requirements in Death Valley and "protection" versus what it actually is...using 10w-60 doesn't give me additional "protection", it just makes my car run like [censored]. With the advent of DI, "protection" can be thought of as a multi-edged sword where the oil grade recommendation and other specs are related to the DI component and not free reign to run 20w-50 in it because "Ford got it wrong". Then again, this is the only board I'm aware of where people who buy DI cars are called "early adopters"...that's with currently over 40% of the new car market being DI vehicles and DI cars being sold in numbers for the last decade...that's beyond hilarious.

When DI first came out in gas engines people who bought cars with DI were early adopters. In fact anyone who buys the first or second year of any new technology are considered early adopters, and it has nothing to do with DI. It took a few years for DI to get sorted out, and it's still a work in progress. I bet some of the early adopters who got burnt wished they would have waited, or bought something with fuel injection instead.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
It's the reason that I personally sought out Motorcraft 5W20 syn blend before crossing the Valley in my rental Maxima when it was a quart low, as it was the only oil that would ensure that I made it.

How many broken down cars did you pass when you crossed ? Must have been nice having no other cars on the road.

Is this a common thing? I just crossed death valley on my way from utah to cali about a month ago and it seemed like there were like 50+ cars that were having trouble.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken

Is this a common thing? I just crossed death valley on my way from utah to cali about a month ago and it seemed like there were like 50+ cars that were having trouble.

A true Bitog'er would have pulled over and asked what oil they were running. Grade, brand, dino, or synthetic, and got extra credit for the filter info.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: TheKracken

I have to wonder if those having car trouble were people who didn't take care of obvious problems before hitting the road, or if it actually was due to problems caused by too thin of oil (though I highly doubt it).

Were the majority of cars having trouble US brands or foreign brands? I'd have a hard time believing there were many Ford or Chevrolet vehicles having problems caused by overheating.

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

+1

Unfortunately, it'll be portrayed on here as Ford going back to 5w-30 because of towing requirements in Death Valley and "protection" versus what it actually is...

What ???

They are installing thicker oils to provide more "protection" against adverse operating conditions, which includes the fuel dilution caused by THEIR programming.

Clearly..."increased protection"...

Didn't know that. Looks like it's a strictly Australian thing. Part of the Sky initiative or SkyActiv as most know it was to eliminate all vestiges of Ford. Engines, transmissions, body etc. Perhaps they sell well down under?

To my eye, the Ford Ranger always looked beter than the Mazda BT-50 ute (pickup). I always saw more Fords on the road than the equivalent Mazda.

That was true in the States as well. Mazda trucks tended to be less rugged looking. Never mind that the rest of the truck was the same exact thing.

Disclosure; in my research for crossovers, Mazda CX-5 is at the top of the list.

The Ranger I have seen in Oz, SA, Namibia, etc - would sell decent in the USA - would not take much market from F150 or Super Duty crowd - but would pick off some Taco, Mazda & Canyon sales ... when fuel prices come back up - the small diesel could be poised to get a foothold...

Originally Posted By: gfh77665

The "crock" was when Ford was praised to the skies (to the point it was nauseating) by some here when they went to 5w-20. Those that did this willfully ignored that Fords move was due to CAFE.

^This

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Instead, lets all parrot that Ford was wrong and they have now admitted they were wrong. What a crock...

The "crock" was when Ford was praised to the skies (to the point it was nauseating) by some here when they went to 5w-20. Those that did this willfully ignored that Fords move was due to CAFE.

^This

+1 to Trav and gfh77665

I have chosen to use 0-20 in my Fords(combined mileage of around 400+K) for the last three engines calling for 5-20. Results: Outstanding oil performance at 10K OCIs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I have chosen to use 0-20 in my Fords(combined mileage of around 400+K) for the last three engines calling for 5-20. Results: Outstanding oil performance at 10K OCIs.

No doubt using a high quality like M1 has a lot to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back