Seeking recommendation

Hello
Just bought a one owner Ford Windstar with relatively low miles for its year with meticulous maintenance history. The minvan has over 100000 miles.

My questions are should i stick with the manufacturer 5w20 or change it to 5w30? What are some of the best oils (conventional and synthetic) and oil filters out there? Thanks

Hello
Just bought a one owner Ford Windstar with relatively low miles for its year with meticulous maintenance history. The minvan has over 100000 miles.

My questions are should i stick with the manufacturer 5w20 or change it to 5w30? What are some of the best oils (conventional and synthetic) and oil filters out there? Thanks
It doesn't matter 5w20 or 30, Wal-Mart or local store specials That come with a filter. Fram or super tech filters are decent. For what it costs what you call conventional oil is going to be more of blend I would just buy synthetic. If you could ask the original owner what they did for oil changes, continue their method.

It doesn't matter 5w20 or 30, Wal-Mart or local store specials That come with a filter. Fram or super tech filters are decent. For what it costs what you call conventional oil is going to be more of blend I would just buy synthetic. If you could ask the original owner what they did for oil changes, continue their method.
What I was going to say. If it had a meticulous maintenance history, why deviate from that?

I’ve used just about every oil brand on earth, they’re all “good”. I’ve used house brand synthetics (Napa, Carquest, ST Walmart). I’ve used lesser known brands (Amalie, etc). I’ve also used every major brand (Mobil1-Valvoline), along with a boutique brand (Amsoil). They all seem to do the job.

I think the key is price - getting them on sale or rebate - and buying a decent filter at a good price. I certainly wouldn’t be afraid to bump it up to a 5W30 either. Check for the rebates that come out once in a while, this site is an excellent resource for THAT. And watch the prices on Amazon or Walmart, because once in a while they’ll have sales. I’m currently running Amsoil, but my ”goal” is to find the Best off the shelf reasonably priced oil...that used to be Mobil1 EP for me, now I’m not sure. Might try Pennzoil Ultra next. Oil is fun. Have fun with it.

What’s the best oil and should I use a 20-grade. Myriad of topics and posts on this one. Can’t hardly maneuver on the site without hitting one.

NEwest model is like 2007? Really doesn't matter at all. Cheapest oil you can find, probably thicker 30 or 40 weight.

Hope you don't have the model that takes an act of congress to get all the spark plugs out. No personal experience but had a friend back in the 90's that had a heck of a time.....

That's strange.

Just checked the oil cap and it does not say anything about the viscosity. Not sure if the cap is still original or replaced at some point. Did speak with the dealer where the vehicle has been serviced for 20 years and they told me they were using 5w-20. But the owners manual is recommending 5w-30.

I'd be more concerned with the transmission grenading than what oil was in the crankcase.
Transmission has been flushed twice in the vehicle history and the van has like 110,000. It was being driven by an older gentleman and his wife.

Engines are damaged by an oil with too low an HT/HS, not by one with a somewhat higher HT/HS. Film thickness protects, not the other way around. If you wish to use an oil with a higher grade then there is zero technical reason not to do so.

The other way an engine can be damaged by the oil is using one with an inappropriate winter rating. As long as your expected starting temperature is above -30 or so then an oil with a 5W rating is acceptable.

Back