Has Ford switched back to 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: merconvvv
Bitog > CAFE oil recommendations

Fixed it for ya.
thumbsup2.gif

Once upon a time, this board did have some good discussion and actual science behind some of these discussions. Lately, its more like an echo chamber...

Has Ford stated using more 5w30 in more recent engine models? Yes. Have they gone back and switched a whole bunch of engines that were 5w20 back to 5w30 retroactively? No.

Look at the actual application charts, like here:

http://machenry.com/documents/2016_Oil_Capacity_Chart.pdf

See anything in common? Such as most of the 5w30 engines are Direct Injection Turbocharged engines? Ie: Newer engine platforms with higher power densities and often large fuel dilution issues?

It couldn't be that they actually select an oil that performs in the engine package they have designed, could it?

Instead, lets all parrot that Ford was wrong and they have now admitted they were wrong. What a crock...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
It couldn't be that they actually select an oil that performs in the engine package they have designed, could it?

Instead, lets all parrot that Ford was wrong and they have now admitted they were wrong. What a crock...

Buuuttt....Ford tested everything before releasing it to the public, in Death Valley, up hills (both ways)...has been the "parrots" chattering on BITOG for a decade.

It's the reason that I personally sought out Motorcraft 5W20 syn blend before crossing the Valley in my rental Maxima when it was a quart low, as it was the only oil that would ensure that I made it.

But now they are saying that they need more of a safety margin, in the engines that they designed, and tested (presumably) through death valley

Originally Posted By: NH73
If Ford would of had some sort of standard, maybe they would of fared better. But you could put the cheapest 5w20 and it was OK. It seems other auto manufacturers just specified 0w20 to have better oil.

Ford has multiple oil standards, see their WSS list.

None of my Ford's going back to 1961 have ever seen a 20 anything except maybe lock lube ...

I've had a mess of them. As a young punk, I totaled 7 of them before I was 21 street/road racing in the Santa Cruz Mnts
laugh.gif

That was before we had the population we do now ....

They all got 10W-30 or 40, up to about 100,000 miles and then Delo 400 (or equal) from there on to the end ... For a few years I worked at a Phillips 66, so they got Trop-Artic or Sta-Lube. The real race motors got Phillips 66 SAE 50 Racing oil.

Got a couple in the driveway now on HDEO
smile.gif

Last edited:
Once upon a time, this board did have some good discussion and actual science behind some of these discussions. Lately, its more like an echo chamber...

Has Ford stated using more 5w30 in more recent engine models? Yes. Have they gone back and switched a whole bunch of engines that were 5w20 back to 5w30 retroactively? No.

Look at the actual application charts, like here:

http://machenry.com/documents/2016_Oil_Capacity_Chart.pdf

See anything in common? Such as most of the 5w30 engines are Direct Injection Turbocharged engines? Ie: Newer engine platforms with higher power densities and often large fuel dilution issues?

Ford was wrong. But they're definitely not going to admit it by retroactively re-specing. Imagine the fallout from that, lawsuits and warranty claims would be endless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: igs

2018 Honda J35Y6 | Walmart SuperTech 20W50 Summer | Chevron Supreme 5W30 Winter | 6 Month OCI

For real? Why 20W-50 in your 2018?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Buuuttt....Ford tested everything before releasing it to the public, in Death Valley, up hills (both ways)...has been the "parrots" chattering on BITOG for a decade.

It's the reason that I personally sought out Motorcraft 5W20 syn blend before crossing the Valley in my rental Maxima when it was a quart low, as it was the only oil that would ensure that I made it.

But now they are saying that they need more of a safety margin, in the engines that they designed, and tested (presumably) through death valley

LOL I remember those discussions. Maybe they did their initial testing during a cool spell, and did some additional testing [a few years later] during a hot spell and had an oh [censored] moment...........
wink.gif
Oh well, at least they caught it. I made the change too.

DI + Turbos = 5w30. Dilution and shear are likely the issue. I am finding that a lot of the DI users (not just Ford) are keeping to 5w30. Hyundai did that with some of their GDi.

We just got a new fusion in our fleet (first time we were willing to go with a Ford Sedan in about 12 years). Reading/finding the specs in the owners manual was awkward. I forget how many engine options they had (from the 1.5T and up). The Turbos were 5w30 and the NA were 5w20.

So Ford has not switched back at all...

The "crock" was when Ford was praised to the skies (to the point it was nauseating) by some here when they went to 5w-20. Those that did this willfully ignored that Fords move was due to CAFE.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
Ford : The foreign car company :

ya.. mazda
. I was referring to their manufacturing. By 2019 most of the ford passenger cars on the road will NOT be built in the good ol USA. 1. Fiesta - Mexico : 2. Focus - China : 3. Fusion approx. 70% Mexico : 4. Taurus - All signs point to it being discontinued. Ford wants to sell cars at 1st world pricing & pay 3rd world Labor. This is the Globalist shuffle that has hollowed out America's manufacting base.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back