Harbor Freight tools that are good

Status
Not open for further replies.
They used to sell a pneumatic/Hydraulic strut spring compressor.It works great.Just doesn't do the larger diameter springs.DONT GET their grinder stand.Its cheap exhaust tubing and falls over.

they have a LOT of junk tools but some are ok for rare usage. i just returned a useless pipe cutter, it just kept "walking" + would not bite into the pipe + cut, useless long needle nose pliers that twisted if trying to put any real stress on them, cheap but useless making them overpriced!!!

Disposable gloves.

I do like their small Al jack.

Their low end impact sockets are Cr-V instead of Cr-Mo.

Ive generally bought US made wherever possible so avoid most of their stuff, but it’s a fun place to walk around if nothing else.

I forgot about their disposable gloves. I go through a lot of them and they are a great value for the money.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I forgot about their disposable gloves. I go through a lot of them and they are a great value for the money.

I can't get behind this. They were weak and tore on me all the time.

Ammex 8 mil are what you want.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I use the 5 mil 68496, and now the black 7 mil 68505 gloves. Which were you using? The 3 mil or vinyl gloves are not good.

Are the thicker ones reusable? As in, take off for break time, put back on and keep going? The blue ones seem one-use, which is fine for quick oil jobs but there are times where I haven't worn the glove out but need to remove it.

Tools I like for home use:

Rotor ratchets
1/2 breaker bar
1/2 electric impact
Torque wrench
Impact sockets
Socket trays
Security 1/4” bit set
Angle grinder
Imperial size long wrench set
Square handle screwdrivers
Locking pliers
Rubber tire chucks
The expensive load tester

Red toolboxes are supposed to be good
Other tools i buy from amazon or home depot

Tool boxes. Very well built . A real sleeper is the small 5 drawer model with the tray on the bottom. Put on the separate fold down side table and it will hold most of your daily use common tools. I absolutely love mine and it only cost $100 on sale.
Pry bars are good
Sandpaper by the roll of self stick disks works fine, cheap.
Sandpaper roll fit long board air sanders
Purple paint gun paints as good as I do.
Gloves (red ones $2) actually fit. No gorilla pinky . Hold up. Pretty well.

Their impact screw driver for brake rotor screws is good and cheap, worked like a charm
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

For the money they're good. Thick gloves cost more. If I'm doing anything rough they'll tear too. So Ive not found thicker gloves to be a good value. Maybe I'm just not looking at the best deals though...

Originally Posted By: supton
Are the thicker ones reusable? As in, take off for break time, put back on and keep going? The blue ones seem one-use, which is fine for quick oil jobs but there are times where I haven't worn the glove out but need to remove it.

Dunno about you, but when I put gloves on in anything but the coldest conditions, I get a little sweaty in the glove. That's a recipe for not wanting to go back on about 50% of the time....

Originally Posted By: supton

I find if my hands aren't sweating I can take them off and put them back on again. I match the gloves to the job, if I'm doing an oil change I'll use the thinner gloves. If I have to stop for some reason I'll toss them if my hands are sweating, if not they go right back on again. Even if my hands were sweating, if I toss them aside they can be reused at a later date. I usually pitch them to cut down on the mess, for the cost of them it doesn't matter to me to toss them. If I'm doing work that will tear them I use the thicker gloves. I found I can reuse them a few times, again depending. I was paying twice the cost for "better" gloves and found the HF gloves to be a better deal, for me.

Yesterday I did some touch up rustproofing, between setup, doing the job, taking breaks and clean up it took a few hours. I was able to get through the job with 2 pair of gloves, and I stopped several times to make calls etc. I used the 5 mil blue gloves.

Those Ammex gloves look interesting, thanks. I might give them a shot next time I place an AMZN order.

The blue nitrile gloves have gone down in quality over the past 10 years. (I think they are 5 mil.)

They would NEVER tear when I began using them. Today, they tear all the time with just a bit of contact. I may have to go with the 7 mil now.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
The blue nitrile gloves have gone down in quality over the past 10 years. (I think they are 5 mil.)

They would NEVER tear when I began using them. Today, they tear all the time with just a bit of contact. I may have to go with the 7 mil now.

I haven't used those gloves 10 years ago, back then I was grabbing Permatex gloves cheap from Auto Barn. They were good, but got pricey. For oil changes, or painting where I'm not stressing the gloves the HF 5 mil gloves work great. If I'm turning a wrench I've torn them, which is why I opted for the 7 mil. But even turning wrenches if I tore one I just grab another. For under $5 a box with a coupon I'm a happy camper. I do plan on trying the 8 mil gloves linked above, they might end up being a better deal than the HF 7 mil gloves.

The last time I was in a HF store I noted that the various Pittsburgh branded tools looked pretty comparable to Kobalt, Husky, and Klutch. Not bad for the money at all.

Yeah, I sweat a bit and then the blue 5mil ones won't go back on. Maybe I need to go up a size next time. They're cheap enough to not care, but sometimes I marvel at how fast the pile grows when I'm working on a job.

Originally Posted by supton
Yeah, I sweat a bit and then the blue 5mil ones won't go back on. Maybe I need to go up a size next time. They're cheap enough to not care, but sometimes I marvel at how fast the pile grows when I'm working on a job.

I keep a container of corn starch body powder in my garage. If I tear a glove and have to put on new ones I dry my hands with a rag and then rub them with a little powder. It makes glove changes possible for me because I sweat profusely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back