Harbor Freight tools that are good

Status
Not open for further replies.
What tools do you recommend from harbor freight? I am starting to buy more and more tools from them. I am curious if anyone out there uses strictly harbor freight tools?

I bought their ball joint removal tool after obliterating a large C clamp trying to remove some 40 year old universal joints. The tool is very heavy and pushed the u joints out with the greatest of ease. Comes with cups to facilitate ball joint removal and I have no doubt it’ll get them too.

Hercules angle grinder for $35 is great. The black plastic coated 3/8” ratchet wrench is great. The orange dead blow hammer for a few bucks is as good as anything. The steel 3-1/2 ton jacks last for years. The compressed air brad driver is very useful had it for years. The 1/2 breaker bar is great

The Earthquake impact wrenches are fantastic. People use them in commercial shops and report just as good as Snap On or Ingersoll rand in use, for 1/6th the price

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The Earthquake impact wrenches are fantastic. People use them in commercial shops and report just as good as Snap On or Ingersoll rand in use, for 1/6th the price
I've read thay that do not maintain their power levels as long. Last long enough for a YouTuber to claim their superiority, but not enough for extended professional use.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I like their jacks and jack stands. The toolboxes are decent.

I dont have their tool box but yes their jack stands are good

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've read thay that do not maintain their power levels as long. Last long enough for a YouTuber to claim their superiority, but not enough for extended professional use.

The YouTube channel southmainauto has been using this impact from last year ~Nov 17 in a commercial daily use and abuse atmosphere and on several occasions really endorsed and pleasantly surprised by this wrench and longevity on several episodes. I don't think he was getting free stuff from Earthquake to pump them up either. Honest to goodness review.

The breaker bar bends an unnerving amount. I put a longer pipe over it to stiffen it... I like that just fine.

The 3/4 drive sockets are rugged if ugly.

Their hammers and jack stands are fine.

The oiled air compressor has a harder time starting in the cold than my previous "Big lots" model.

The Earthquake impact works great but it too is cold blooded-- condensation or something clogs it up in the cold. It does get oiled.

I've found better deals on stuff like scan tools on ebay/ amazon. They just rebadge a generic chinese thing you can get cheaper elsewhere.

Their inductive battery tester was the first on the market. Its wiring insulation was cheap and fell apart though.

The NiMH AAs are tolerable but no Eneloops.

Ten pack of #2 phillips bits for $2 are surviving for years. Same with the 100 pack of razor blades. Love the gloves. Generally good for consumables. The sandpaper is trash but it's also cheap.

The $89 flux core 120V welder works great, albeit on Home Depot Lincoln welding wire.

Their manual tire machine has literally saved me over a thousand bucks, just in mounting fees. Plus I use used tires vs new on beaters I drag home and do other shenanigans like separating unwanted tires from rims I want.

I have their yellow Daytona three ton floor jack. Excellent jack. I bought a step stool for cleaning the windshield and roof on my Suburban. Solid value at 19.99 and I bought deep metric impact sockets. So far, so good.

Yeah their jacks and jack stands are pretty good. I have the 3 ton low profile one but it does leak down. A buddy of mine is a professional mechanic. He uses his every single day for years and years, it's a 2-1/2 ton low profile. He used it to hold up the front of a 26' former Uhaul box truck for 3 days once. No jack stands. It didn't even flinch.

He thinks it's defective since it's lasted so long.

I like their plastic ratchets, the new pro ones are great especially in cold weather. The pro 24" breaker bar and Snap On clone ratchet are also good.
9 mil Nitrile gloves and moving blankets are great. These are what I go in to buy, the blankets are great for protecting other body parts when blasting

I’ve had excellent luck with the impact sockets from HF. The ones I have are 1/2 drive shallow, made in Taiwan and look identical to some of the Taiwan made Matco ADV impact sockets I have. I also have their screw in style brake caliper compressor, inner tie rod tool and a digital caliper that have held up well over the years.

The set that has surprised me most was some 1/2 drive swivel sockets. Most of the original set I’ve had for 3 years are still intact. A few have broken and been replaced with Snap On. The 3/8 set I got from HF was complete junk and I broke every commonly used size.

I buy their floor jacks. I bought several moving blankets for moving my sons furniture. For diy use, their roloc 2" discs work pretty well. Gasket scraper blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back