Welders: Lincoln/Century better than HF?

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I am seeking more or less the same. I am looking for a machine that has ability to (and I think the OP has similar wants/needs):

1. Separate the wire feed from the amps (as @spasm3 noted)
2. Use gas in addition to flux core
3. 240v is fine as I am not going to be using it outside of my shop

I have a small Tooliom TL-135A multi-process welder, and for the $100 I paid for it a few years ago. It works great, but is very limited when you need to weld thicker materials because the wire speed is not adjustable and it is too fast when needing to run a slower bead + not enough amperage.

I have been looking at a few and would like this to be my "last" MIG machine so these are on my short list and would like some input if anyone has an experience with them.

For the money, the HF Vulcan seems to be a sweet spot, but at the same time long term viability and parts availability could be an issue (time will tell, but it is Harbor Freight).

$1900 - Miller Millermatic 211 MIG
$1300 - Lincoln PowerMIG 211i
$1100 - Hobart Handler 210MVP
$950 - HF Vulcan MIG Max215

The Lincoln is the leader of the three at the moment. The Hobart looks nice too.

Thoughts welcome!

Last edited:
Under the heading of “buy once, cry once” I’m now seriously considering doubling my budget and buying this Eastwood. I suspect being able to weld aluminum would open up all sort of interesting project opportunities.

Under the heading of “buy once, cry once” I’m now seriously considering doubling my budget and buying this Eastwood. I suspect being able to weld aluminum would open up all sort of interesting project opportunities.

I have the smaller Eastwood MIG 140 setup and I really like it. The whole setup, welder, cart, and new gas bottle set me back around $800 in late '21.

iziFIhn.jpg

I handled an Eastwood 135 around 2015 and the the drive assembly is basically what an EZ-bake (lightbulb) oven is to a commercial range. Garbage. Drive rolls were proprietary and only available thru Eastwood.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I am seeking more or less the same. I am looking for a machine that has ability to (and I think the OP has similar wants/needs):

1. Separate the wire feed from the amps (as @spasm3 noted)
2. Use gas in addition to flux core
3. 240v is fine as I am not going to be using it outside of my shop

I have a small Tooliom TL-135A multi-process welder, and for the $100 I paid for it a few years ago. It works great, but is very limited when you need to weld thicker materials because the wire speed is not adjustable and it is too fast when needing to run a slower bead + not enough amperage.

I have been looking at a few and would like this to be my "last" MIG machine so these are on my short list and would like some input if anyone has an experience with them.

For the money, the HF Vulcan seems to be a sweet spot, but at the same time long term viability and parts availability could be an issue (time will tell, but it is Harbor Freight).

$1900 - Miller Millermatic 211 MIG
$1300 - Lincoln PowerMIG 211i
$1100 - Hobart Handler 210MVP
$950 - HF Vulcan MIG Max215

The Lincoln is the leader of the three at the moment. The Hobart looks nice too.

Thoughts welcome!
I've had the 210MVP for a long time. It's ridiculously heavy and the fan is loud enough you think you're on a runway at takeoff. THAT SAID, it's been a fantastic machine and arc quality is very good. Even my buddy who's an incredibly accomplished welder one day looked at the machine, looked at his bead, and remarked it welded way better than he'd expect.

Also, it comes with an M10 gun which is terrible but -- I must admit -- still working.

I've run it 99.9% on 220 so I have very little experience on 110 with it.

I've had the 210MVP for a long time. It's ridiculously heavy and the fan is loud enough you think you're on a runway at takeoff. THAT SAID, it's been a fantastic machine and arc quality is very good. Even my buddy who's an incredibly accomplished welder one day looked at the machine, looked at his bead, and remarked it welded way better than he'd expect.

Also, it comes with an M10 gun which is terrible but -- I must admit -- still working.

I've run it 99.9% on 220 so I have very little experience on 110 with it.
It has to be a transformer unit and not an inverter (think I read that about the Hobart). One thing that I say based upon what I have read is that Hobart is 100% USA made versus some of the others being imported (I am certain the Vulcan is).

The more reviews I see on the Lincoln 211i the harder I am leaning that way. It seems to be a very nice machine with quality internals and welds very well.

I handled an Eastwood 135 around 2015 and the the drive assembly is basically what an EZ-bake (lightbulb) oven is to a commercial range. Garbage. Drive rolls were proprietary and only available thru Eastwood.
I have not read many good things about Eastwood which is why it was not on my list (no slight to the OP's choices). A few of the YT comparisons between other machines comment on how many times the Eastwood has broken and that parts can be problematic to obtain. I suspect longer term the same would apply to the Vulcan.

Reactions: D60
I’m not a HF fan but I saw a guy using one of these to replace our car wash tracks. They wear out where the unit rides back and forth.

Seemed to work just fine honestly. I was impressed with it seeing it in action

I have a small Hobart that works for most things I need. Body shop has a nice miller if I need more

I am told even the Lincoln you buy at a Home Depot is cheaper made than one from a welding supply. More plastic. I assume different model numbers.
Yeah, they are. The typical HD Lincoln (in the 180amp range) is advertised as a 180 amp Weld-Pak whereas the welding supply version is a 180c. Appears to be a fairly large difference between the two in price/durability, etc.

Reactions: D60
I am told even the Lincoln you buy at a Home Depot is cheaper made than one from a welding supply. More plastic. I assume different model numbers.
That is true, they are or were made in Italy and low quality. It is a shame Lincoln uses their own name on these it drags the brand name down. Millers less expensive line the Hobart are not bad but not really a comparison to their own branded models.

That is true, they are or were made in Italy and low quality. It is a shame Lincoln uses their own name on these it drags the brand name down. Millers less expensive line the Hobart are not bad but not really a comparison to their own branded models.
If I owned a company and was going to manufacturer a big box store model and one sold at a dealer (or similar store for professionals) I would make it obvious between the lines.

If I owned a company and was going to manufacturer a big box store model and one sold at a dealer (or similar store for professionals) I would make it obvious between the lines.
That would be honorable but foolish. People are willing to pay a premium for a name, thinking it is an indicator of higher quality.

In the case of these Lincoln welders, they are a decent middle ground. They have all metallic drive mechanisms where your HF welders are a lot of plastic, but it isn’t quite the same metal quality as their higher end units.

They also go a little cheaper on the circuit board, a 4-position voltage selector rather than infinite, compatibility with a spot weld timer accessory, etc.

Doesn’t make them bad, just not quite as good and the price reflects that. But you’re undoubtedly paying something extra for the name.

Last edited:
That would be honorable but foolish. People are willing to pay a premium for a name, thinking it is an indicator of higher quality.

In the case of these Lincoln welders, they are a decent middle ground. They have all metallic drive mechanisms where your HF welders are a lot of plastic, but it isn’t quite the same metal quality as their higher end units.

They also go a little cheaper on the circuit board, a 4-position voltage selector rather than infinite, compatibility with a spot weld toner accessory, etc.

Doesn’t make them bad, just not quite as good and the price reflects that. But you’re undoubtedly paying something extra for the name.
But you average Joe wanting a 180amp Lincoln MIG welder will just look at the one at Home Depot vs a welding supply. Home Depot will be cheaper and he will probably go for that one. Who is out there pointing out the difference?

But you average Joe wanting a 180amp Lincoln MIG welder will just look at the one at Home Depot vs a welding supply. Home Depot will be cheaper and he will probably go for that one. Who is out there pointing out the difference?
It could be argued that if the consumer doesn't know the difference, then they probably wouldn't know the difference. Know what I'm saying?

No one, but an experienced welder (person) would know, but given they do, they would likely not buy an HD machine anyway unless it was going to be a thrown-down or home machine that would not see much use. It may not make a lot of sense to do otherwise...

If you go to Airgas they carry a lot of Miller and Lincoln welders that have nothing in common except the name with HD models, they will let you try them (at least the one here does) and show you all the different features.
Edit: The other difference is parts for their regular retail models are readily available, parts for the Italian made ones are not.

Friend No. 1 was looking for a welder to repair some rusted metal fencing around the perimeter of his property. His friend No. 2 who is a fabricator told him to avoid DIY/HD Miller and Hobart. Affordable yes, but when they break the cost of repair makes them essentially disposable.

No. 2 recommended Fronius. No. 1 finds a distributor and buys a Fronius Transteel 2200 120v. Holy wallet Batman!

No. 1 takes his new welder and sees No. 2 for guidance. No. 2 helps No. 1 developing a schedule and remarks how well the welder performs for a 120v.

Back