had to put my dog down this morning.

The best love money can buy ...... and the end of life scenario is the price we have to pay to have it. Been there numerous times in my life and I have learned the fastest way to heal the heart is get another..

That's rough. Our pets are family, and it seems likewise for you. I've had to put down a few over the years, and end up an emotional wreck each time. The worst isn't when it happens. I've sat there at the vet, weeping of course, but remaining composed enough to hold my buddy and give him/her comfort and security during those last breaths. Then, after they go, I find solace in knowing their suffering is gone, and a blissful transference of anguish upon myself. Their time is done, and yet they live on in the reveries of my mind. The hard part is coming home, no happy scratching at the door, no barks or wimpers... only silence. The most agonizing silence I've ever incurred.

RIP to your buddy. He may be physically gone, but his influence will remain, for as long there are memories in your mind, he is never truly gone.

The hardest experience is putting your ailing animal in the car for the final ride to the vet, especially if there is no other person along with you.

For me, its cats. I have put down two cats. Two died of old age or ailments without being put down.

One, after it was put down, I worried that I acted prematurely. Two, that I did not put down, I worried that by not putting them down, I unnecessarily extended their suffering.

The last one, I think I got just right. He was 19 years old, wobbled into the room, and cried. I knew it was his time. But that did not make it any easier.

i still haven’t come to terms with it but it was in his best interest. all the lights were on but his body gave up. still knew and recited every command from boarding school this morning. he had concert on every square inch of him.

Very sorry to hear this news. We had to put our 6 year old Akita down unexpectedly a couple years ago and we adopted another Akita from a rescue in New Jersey. Was a great way to honor him and save another wonderful dog and fill the void in our family.

My sympathies. Absolutely love Boxers. After my 1st one passed, I felt empty & decided to bring home another not too long after. Unfortunately his life was cut short at only 6yrs due to leukemia. I was blessed to have their unconditional love on a daily basis for 17yrs of my life between the 2 of them, & wouldn't trade it for anything. May your memories bring you peace.

Back