How to get rid of fleas in the house

Was hoping someone on the forum has a proven, readily available solution to getting rid of fleas inside the house. We've been in our home for the last eight years and have never had an issue with fleas. This year they have hit with a vengeance. Our dogs are old and we don't want to use any type of aggressive chemicals. My wife has been trying to battle them with treatments that contain natural ingredients to no avail. And she spends a good twenty to thirty minutes a day spraying, bathing, washing their bedding, misting the flooring (with natural ingredients), etc... Was hoping there is some type of effective concentrate I can put in my garden sprayer and mist the flooring that won't harm the dogs. If I can't find a DIY solution I'll have to break down and call the local exterminator.

Sorry to hear that. I had a problem years ago when we let the house get warm and the eggs hatched. What we did was keep the house a bit cooler to slow down their life cycle, treat the animals with a collar or the drops, use a powder on the carpet and dog bedding and vacuum it all up. You have to keep doing it to kill the adults and kill the eggs.

Myriad of products out there for flea control including food grade diatomaceous earth (not the type used in pools). My best advice is to vacuum your floors and furniture often and then throw out the vacuum bag immediately meaning take it outside and do not leave it in your inside trash can. If you have a bag less vacuum empty it outside in a bag and then put it in the outside trash can.

Flea eggs will hatch inside a trash bag making your efforts futile unless you take the secured bags outside.

Floggers are the only sure fire way. Set them and stay out of the house all day. Come home and dust and vacuum.
Might want to bomb a room at a time - monitor progress with one of these - lights out

Not much good at prevention but a good way to see how bad an infestation you have is to take a large white porcelain baking dish and fill it with water and a couple drops of dish soap, to relive the surface tension. Leave this out all the time and especially at night. Lightly blowing air across it with a fan will catch a lot of very tiny flying bugs you never knew you had.

I would treat the animals with Frontline plus, and spray with this.

You can suffer with the natural solutions not working, or get rid of the problem. You need an IGR product to stop this.

You can't treat just the house or just the animals , you must treat both, especially if there is carpet.

Once you have it under control, you have to keep the animals treated or the problem will just return as before. I have had dogs and cats , live to ages of 15 years , while treated with Frontline Plus.

Also you may have to treat the yard.
I'm not a fan of poisoning the whole yard, but in your case, you might need to at least once as a 3 pronged approach done simultaneously

Last edited:
Not much good at prevention but a good way to see how bad an infestation you have is to take a large white porcelain baking dish and fill it with water and a couple drops of dish soap, to relive the surface tension. Leave this out all the time and especially at night. Lightly blowing air across it with a fan will catch a lot of very tiny flying bugs you never knew you had.
Those work best with a desk lamp shining into the water …
the crack of Dawn 😷

When I lived in So Cal we had a flea issue that was horrendous. A local pet store showed me two things that (with reapplication of course) stopped them forever. Boric Acid powder inside, Nematodes outside.

You need to start with the yard , then bomb the house and put down some kind of treatment to kill the flea and stop the eggs from hatching. Steam clean the carpets and mop the floors often. Use flea stuff on the animals.

Fleas are nasty little bugs. I wouldn't mess around too much and go straight to the whole house foggers you can buy at the store.

If you want a more natural option you can try Permethrin. I know it works very well for us on sliders and other bugs. Can't comment on it about fleas specifically though

Last cat we brought in had fleas. Used one pill (Capstar) and it killed them all, at least the fleas that were on the cat. Had the cat in a basement (no carpet) and had a single flea trap there. Seemed like a weak approach, but it did work. Normally you would have to burn your house down to get rid of fleas.

Trap style was the type with a small light bulb and sticky paper on the bottom:

81U9JxV5KuL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Not exact brand used, but essentially the same. Having spare bulbs is a good thing. The sticky paper catches a lot of other bugs too. It may have helped that before I brought the cat in I used to go outside and use a flea comb on him.

As mentioned, food grade diatomaceous earth. Dust it onto everything the fleas get to. I used this in my unfinished basement, which had a constant supply of pill bugs, centipedes, millipedes, spiders, etc. There used to be new webs across the floor joists weekly.

This year, I've seen *nothing* but one, dead wasp. I dusted the sill plates, and around the windows and electric panel inlet from outside.

As mentioned, food grade diatomaceous earth. Dust it onto everything the fleas get to. I used this in my unfinished basement, which had a constant supply of pill bugs, centipedes, millipedes, spiders, etc. There used to be new webs across the floor joists weekly.

This year, I've seen *nothing* but one, dead wasp. I dusted the sill plates, and around the windows and electric panel inlet from outside.
And it’s safe for kids and pets. I use it on my tomato plants too.

I have three of the night light/sticky traps around the house. One advantage is that you can monitor the population by checking the sticky paper. I currently don't have any indoor pets, but there are many critters around the neighborhood. I get a few fleas that hitchhike in, but they quickly find the traps. It catches spiders and other bugs too. Only downside is having to replace the stickys when dust accumulation makes them not sticky anymore.

Back