Gonna replace my '07 Accord already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet you can pick up a base model Passat with a manual tranny for $20K. Passat sales are not strong and VW dealers aren't having great luck unloading manuals. I got mine for $19K (stickered at $24). A base Passat with the 2.0T has the same performance as the V6 Accord Sedan. It will eat the base Accord alive and then spit it out. As for reliability, well, you've owned Audis before so I assume that won't be a problem for you
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Is a body shop paint job going to be any better than the factory one?

It can be, if the sprayer is really seasoned and the paint is top caliber.

If I were the OP, I'd find a shop spraying Glasurit or Sikkens and by someone with more than a few years holding the gun. Spend the big dough on the clearcoat if you want chip resistance.

And nothing was worse than the Chrysler factory paint of the late '80s-early '90s. You could peel the finish off with your fingers after a few years.

I've only read the first post but I have the EXACT same problem with my TL. The paint is so fragile I'm afraid to use the duster on it. My front end is starting to look grey (black car)from all of the chips. They're not big chips (most of them anyway) but millions of tiny chips. The bumper is practically destroyed, hood is not far behind, and where the front fenders flare out, they're very damaged too. Where some of the bigger chips are, the paint is trying to peel back. My car literally needs to be repainted in the front. Very disappointed in the paint quality and very frustrated every month that $700 bill comes in the mail.

Be careful buying the TSX, you might run into the same problems.

Boy, it really sounds like Ventureshield paint protection film is going to be a must on these cars. $800, sounds like it's going to be worth every penny.

Just called the highly recommended Ventureshield installer.

$595 for a pre-cut Ventureshield kit that covers the high impact areas on the front. Not bad at all, I think I'm definitely getting this.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I've only read the first post but I have the EXACT same problem with my TL. . . . Very disappointed in the paint quality and very frustrated every month that $700 bill comes in the mail.

$700/mo for a TL? Yikes!!!
The paint should outlive you at that price.
I'd be hopping mad, too.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Be careful buying the TSX, you might run into the same problems.

Agree and, at this point, that's what I'd say to anyone who asked.

No call-back from Honda CS now at the one week mark.

Maybe you should get an Altima. They have a kick [censored] dark red color. The best red color I've seen on the car! Goes well with black wheels.

I find it ridiculous that we're talking about having to spend a grand to protect the paint on a new car. Sounds like we need to look at cars with better paint jobs.

When I bought, I considered the "bro", but figured I could repaint the hood at LEAST once for that money. That's where i am now. Anything over $50-$100 for a bit of plastic film is insane, by my account.

For our black car owners (or other dark colours), a good black marker will dye the primer black, fading to grey over time, but it works for door edges and some chips pretty well. Any over-application comes off with waxing.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
When I bought, I considered the "bro", but figured I could repaint the hood at LEAST once for that money. That's where i am now. Anything over $50-$100 for a bit of plastic film is insane, by my account.

I came to the same conclusion when I got my Corvette. It helps that it's black and chips are easy to fill.

The bras also have finite life so they eventually need to be replaced.

Originally Posted By: XS650

I came to the same conclusion when I got my Corvette. It helps that it's black and chips are easy to fill.

The bras also have finite life so they eventually need to be replaced.

Yes, but there's a lifetime warranty against yellowing and bubbling from the manufacturer and the installer.

For our black car owners (or other dark colours), a good black marker will dye the primer black, fading to grey over time, but it works for door edges and some chips pretty well. Any over-application comes off with waxing.

You can buy the DIY kit for the clear bra for under $100.

Ok, here's the poop. Body shop said $400 to paint the hood, as expected. He also said that he has a LOT of customers with the exact same compalint, inc his daughter with an '08 Coupe. Apparently, it's a known problem and Honda is paying out for repaints. I have an appt with the local rep...when he calls me. The shop said Honda is cutting checks for this. I bought that 06 RSX and had no complaints with the paint. So, maybe 2 new Hondas in 2 years will count for me in getting paid. I really don't have the money now to throw $1000 at the problem, so if Honda pays $400, I have a $200 credit at the shop, maybe I can get away with $300-$400 out of pocket to spray the front. I will do the clear bra too. $60 for the 3M. btw- the shop said the Honda paint is 1 mil and his paint will be 4 mil on top of the Honda paint, so it will be better.

I'm impressed with what I hear about honda customer service. they step up. e.g trans failures and with the paint situation your having. Nissan, good luck getting anything fixed under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back