Shift knob repair W204

The ring around the top center of the knob is chipping away and leaving tiny metal pieces in the palm of my hand. I shift gently but it makes no difference. Considering some clear nail polish,but not sure if that will degrade the soft plastic/hard rubber knob material. The car is a 2011/12 Mercedes C180. It may seem minor, but the little pieces get stuck in my skin. Thanks for any advice.
IMG20240108135719.jpg

scalpel, thin model masking tape, scrape the old coating off or at least rough up what is still adhered and paint it with something thick to hide the surface imperfections. I use the fiberglass scrapers from the tops of touch up paint sticks for fine prep like this. I did something similar for a long in the tooth Boxster project for a friend. I used rattle can truck bed liner and it came out surprisingly well and has held up.

scalpel, thin model masking tape, scrape the old coating off or at least rough up what is still adhered and paint it with something thick to hide the surface imperfections. I use the fiberglass scrapers from the tops of touch up paint sticks for fine prep like this. I did something similar for a long in the tooth Boxster project for a friend. I used rattle can truck bed liner and it came out surprisingly well and has held up.
OK. That sounds like a plan. Thanks.

If its metal I'd sand it down with very fine sandpaper and make it a non gloss finish.

Paco

Reactions: 555
Back