Do I need primer when using touch up paint?

I have some paint that flaked off on the inside of my door and want to touch it up with some doctor color chip touch up paint that I have. Since rust has formed, I abraded the area down to bare metal that measures about 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch. Do I need some sort of primer or am I good to just paint over the bare metal with this touch up paint?
FD6D37BD-718B-42A5-A13A-FE4947E689DB.jpeg

I'll tell you that's rusted way more than you think that whole seem is bubbled up its got the cancer
Yup it was pretty bad but fortunately I was as able to get rid of all the rust. I’m just wondering that since I have a small section of bare metal exposed, do I need to use any sort of self etching primer?

That rust is just the tip of the iceberg. Applying touch up paint to it is the least of your worries.

I have some paint that flaked off on the inside of my door and want to touch it up with some doctor color chip touch up paint that I have. Since rust has formed, I abraded the area down to bare metal that measures about 1/4 inch by 1/2 inch. Do I need some sort of primer or am I good to just paint over the bare metal with this touch up paint?
View attachment 202865
I'd start with naval jelly. It will kill any remaining rust and create a barrier to stop rust from forming in the future. Then paint over that.

Back