Gonna replace my '07 Accord already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not actually happy about it. The one and only problem is that the paint is totally horrible. The car was delivered with a ton of swirls and scratchs. I'm over that, but the road blast on the front has been nothing short of profound. I don't even know how to qualify or quantify it, but it totally sucks. Let's say I have 17,000 miles and 17,000 chips in the front. Let's say a rock chip is normally a certian size, because it take a certian mass of stone to affect it. A chip is normally the size of a pin head to a match head, with a corresponding size rock impact to achieve it, maybe a pea. Well, I have chips that are the size of the TIP of a pin. Barely even a ball point pen head sized chip. So that means what, a freaking grain of sand is chipping the paint?

In the space of a quarter, I have about 5-10 chips, for 3 feet across the hood, times like 5 inches. Now, the hood bends down in the front, unlike many cars. That makes a bad situation worse, but I have glancing chips 3 feet up the hood! My body guy looked at it and said, yep Honda changed their paint formula again. I say even worse, it's DEFFECTIVE. I looked at other cars, the exact same model, older ones, nope no chips. I've had other cars, inc the '06 RSX, chips are minimal, maybe 4-5 total in 40k. I look at 10 year old cars, like Mom's Passat and nephews Volvo after 85k... again , like 4-5 chips MAX. My friend has an 07 Audi, same age with the same miles, ZERO chips, driving the SAME roads.
I really like the car. I owe about what trade is, $17k. For $20k I could replace it with a new Accord (sedan, I'm thinking). All I'd give up there is the leather and heated seats if I got a base model. I'd pick up stability control, somthing I'd like. I also kind of want rear windows that go down. I have my dogs in the car a lot and they really need that. I'm also considering a CRV, even though we have a 98 already. We live in the country and have minimal plowing and bad roads. I look at the CRV front and it's basicly blast-proof. The plastic seems to repel chips and the CRV is higher off the ground, with the plastic. The new Accord has plastic coming above the grill and the hood is not angled steeply. I can handle a lil hit on mpg, since I won't need to travel all the way to the city constantly to deal with my house there that I'm selling.

I know people will say, "you are nuts dood". I would rather not have this problem, but I like my car to look pretty decent. It is unacceptable. If I painted the hood, that would be ok. The shop told me their paint will not chip like it is now and I believe them, my paint is like powder. I have $200 credit at the shop as well. The problem there is that the rest of the car has [censored] paint and there is already a good amount of blast on the fenders and such. I already called Honda about it and they did not call back. I'm expecting to get blown off anyway. I'd love it if at trade apprasial they said something to me about the blast. I would run with that right to Honda Customer Service. Frankly, I expect to get "serviced" by them anyway.

I dunno if I like any other cars. I'm selling a house at a huge profit in a few weeks, but am not looking for a lifestyle change, just the same thing I was looking for before: a car I could keep for a few years and it look and perform ok.

btw- I like the TSX and it's probally discounted a lot due to the model change. but I don't want to spend $25k.

Any ideas?

I have a 2004 Accord with a similar hood chip problem, but the paint on the rest of the car seems to be OK. I had the misfortune to be in an accident, but as part of the repair, the hood was repainted. I then put one of those black acrylic deflectors on the front of the hood. It seems to have solved the chip problem. I like the look of the car better without the deflector, but it is OK and I like the rest of the car enough put up with it. I got mine from WeatherTech.

How about repainting the entire front end (hood, bumper and fenders) and then spending $1000 on a 3M Clear Bra?

Nah, it's the oem paint. Paper thin and like powder. Flat red, fwiw. I know that makes it worse. Sitting at home it's easy to say it's in my head or whatever, but I guarantee 10/10 guys here would flip-out of they saw it in person.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Nah, it's the oem paint. Paper thin and like powder. Flat red, fwiw. I know that makes it worse. Sitting at home it's easy to say it's in my head or whatever, but I guarantee 10/10 guys here would flip-out of they saw it in person.

Can you post some pictures?

Clear bras are not something I like and $1000 is just insane. I considered a carbon fibre hood that I could store for winter and put the original hood back on for blast season. $450. Body guy liked the idea, ironicly. btw- it gets worse EVERY DAY!!!

I don't have a digi camera any more.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Have a "clear bra" installed on your next car.

Yeah, a 3M clear bra is the answer for your next brand new car since all cars have environmentally safe paint which is susceptible to chips. Its about 600-700 bucks but its worth it.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Clear bras are not something I like

Why? It's difficult to notice if properly installed. If you shop around you can definitely find it for less than $1000.

That's karma from getting rid of your Integra!
LOL.gif
Jokes aside, sorry to hear about your paint troubles. Perhaps you could work something out with the dealership to get it repainted? In regards to the TSX, I think they're great cars. If I could afford a new Acura right now, that would be the one I'd get.

Last edited:
Chips that prevalent sure seems to be a paint issue. I know I've gotten BLASTED countless times in my 2007 Cobalt at ~13Kmi and I have one match head sized chip that was there when it was basically brand-new. They use a dirt/sand/grit/salt mix on the roads in winter time WNY.
frown.gif
Hondas never appeared to be top-notch with respect to body/paint integrity in my area.

Joel

Last edited:
Dogs, snow, performance, leather, heated seats, reliability? Sounds like it's time for a Saabaru! (SAAB 9-2X Aero) They're cheap and fun. Whaddayathink, AJ?

Sounds like a warranty problem to me. Get a tent and move-in to the service department at your dealer until they set it right.

My 2006 Monte Carlo has maybe 1 or 2 paint chips with 32K miles, a car with 17K should have maybe 1. If it had hundreds I'd be at the dealer making a huge stink.

Hondas have really soft paint. Detailing forums I hit talk about how you can mar the paint with a microfiber cloth in some cases. Not sure if soft paint makes it easier to chip or not though.

Chips mainly arise due to heavy salt/sanding if your in a wintery area or wrong place/wrong time which is behind that construction vehicle that has peppered the highway.

My current cars(Subaru WRX/Legacy) are known to have paint prone to chipping but they are no better or worse than previous Civic, Audi, VW or other makes.

Cars are consumable disposable goods.

Did you buy the car new from a dealership?

If yes, I would say you need to do some serious and legitimate complaining. Start with the local dealership and if they don't respond well, start a letter writing campaign (the paper letters like in the old days, not email) all the while threatening to never buy a Honda again or recommend one to a friend. Convince them that this paint job will cost them less than your future buying preferences.

Clark

Audi-

Maybe getting rid of it is the best idea. If I recall correctly, you haven't been happy with this car since the day you got it, and it seems that your frustration with the paint is only getting worse.

Get what you can for it, get something you really like, and move on. Your mental health is worth it.

I'm gonna spill the beans and say that I might be coming into some money. That in itself is not changing how I feel about this issue. Somthing is dreadfully wrong with a 6 mo old car with 1000s of paint chips. When I look at what a new (nicer) car really costs, I am really put off. The last thing I want to do is blow money.
My choices are:

0)See if the oem will do something to help (doubtfull)

1)Paint the car front on my own, $100s of dollars.

2)Buy a base Accord Sedan, $20k no s/r try a manual again, get stability.

3) Buy a mid line CRV and choke on the extra $5k I will spend to replace my car, especially if my RE deal does not go through. Stability control is standard, I'll pay get 4WD (obviously) and I pretty much will want a sunroof $$$23k. The CRV is much more blast resistant and the mpg is not an issue, I'll probally drive
4) Maybe look at a cheap uused Boxter that I kind of want, $20k...not vary smart or practical, but I ~could~ afford it and should compare that decision to bying some higher-end car new, like a nice Audi or BMW.

Bottom line is that the way we think here, getting the most for the least could be keeping my car or buying the stripper Accord sedan for $3k out of pocket. I'm really lost until i know about my RE deal. Myabe the middle of the road choice of a replacement Honda, but with the options I NEED to make me want to keep it longer, like SR and 4WD.

Usually I know what I want to do, and DO IT. This situation makes me a lil uneasy.

There's an easy answer. It's a bad paint job (too thin, too hard,ect).

My mother in law has an '04 Camry that's black. My wife has an '06 G6 that's black. In no way does the quality of the G6 approach the Camry except in one area. The Camry has a horrible paint job.

The Camry's paint is thin. It chips too easily. It won't polish or buff out. A professional at a body shop made it very shiny from a distance but when you get close it looks like [censored]. It's a one owner car, and it's never had paint or body work. It's just a sorry paint job and should have never got past quality control for retail delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back