Gonna replace my '07 Accord already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audi..question for you. If you have had a bad experience with the paint why on earth would you buy another Honda? The dealer/mfg wont take care of you, you'll lose money on depreciation, and you want to reward them? Why? Just curious?!

My 2005 Toyota Corolla has HUNDREDS of chips all over the car. I'd bet at least 200-300 on the hood alone.

I've got chips on the roof and sides. My windshield is cracked in a few places so my commute has tons of rocks from these #@$^%^&$ semi trucks that are allowed to spew rocks and such on the freeway with no law enforcement concern.

Of course the "professional"
smirk2.gif
trucking companies could care less, even if you catch their plate number, take photos and contact them, its not their fault.

Then you go to court and the judge says that it could have come off the road and that is not their fault. (even though you see the rocks coming off their truck)

I'm not bitter...
grin2.gif

Cheap thin EPA paint is part the problem.

Sadly, a clear bra will protect part of the car. But as long as we have idiots like the truckers and their companies you will have these issues.

The days of trying to keep a nice car are ending. Between the illegals breaking into every car in a parking lot to stuff like this it is an lost cause.

(and before anyone gets into my face about the illegal comment, I was SITTING in my car as one BROKE the rear window to grab my go bag (which has a lot of stuff that is worth $$ in it) and noticed that I was there once I had him on the ground. (Rule #1, if you are going to break into a car, make sure it is empty) He was arrested and released within a few hours. This is happening at least here by the hundreds per week)

Back on subject, I'd stay away from a new Accord (never buy a new model for the first few years IMO) and the paint is going to be the same.

I'd look into something that will get you down the road with best MPG (2k miles per month is a lot of miles when gas is $4 a gallon which it will be ALL the time soon) and put a clear bra on it.

The MFG will do nothing. They will point to the part of your manual that states the warranty is void if the car is damaged due to a accident they have nothing to do with you. (they consider rock chips an accident so the body panel is out of warranty for rust too)

I know when you bought the car, you were not too happy with the way it went down, sounds like maybe selling it and cutting your losses would be the best thing?

And take your time for the next purchase.
It is always easier to buy then sell.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
There's an easy answer. It's a bad paint job (too thin, too hard,ect).

My mother in law has an '04 Camry that's black. My wife has an '06 G6 that's black. In no way does the quality of the G6 approach the Camry except in one area. The Camry has a horrible paint job.

The Camry's paint is thin. It chips too easily. It won't polish or buff out. A professional at a body shop made it very shiny from a distance but when you get close it looks like [censored]. It's a one owner car, and it's never had paint or body work. It's just a sorry paint job and should have never got past quality control for retail delivery.

Its not a quality control problem.

It is the EPA stepping in to protect us.
20.gif

I have seen the same paint problems in late model Ford Crown Vics, Dodge cars/vans/trucks, GM products and Toyota trucks and SUVs (Our new Highlander Hybrids have dozens of chips in the month we have had them).

The clear bra people have a good product, but it will not protect enough of the car/truck and still will allow some damage even on its surface.

Take care, bill

So I guess the EPA protected us less on my wife's G6?

I've been privvy to some of Detroit's famous winners such as the Chevette, the Pinto, The J car Cadillac. So I know a winner when I see it.

I see too many complaints about paint chips on imports. It's just a fact. Scion owners, Nissan Owners, Honda and Toyota lead the pack. Go to their forums if you don't believe me.

The Camry doesn't have a problem with paint sticking. It's too thin, baked at too high a temp, I don't know. The fact that it's black makes it show all the more.

Quote:
I see too many complaints about paint chips on imports. It's just a fact. Scion owners, Nissan Owners, Honda and Toyota lead the pack. Go to their forums if you don't believe me.

I don't need to go to another forum to see the paint chips on a crown vic with less than 10k miles. (or a fleet of them)

It is all of our fleet (many makes) that are having problems.

They all are white and you see the chips real easy.

We don't use a G6 so I can not comment. (not a big fleet model or on the state contract.
grin2.gif
)

But I can tell you what I SEE. And I'll believe my eyes over any forum.

10 years ago we had a few chips, but NOTHING like today. What has changed? The EPA stepped in with a "few" rules to protect all of us. (Maybe it was the paint lobby that made the EPA put in the new rules to make us have thin paint so they could sell more paint!!
27.gif
)

Take care, bill

AJ,

Ever look into an Altima Coupe? There's a 1250 rebate on the sedans right now I think and many dealers are willing to go 500-1500 below invoice. You can get a coupe or a sedan for about 20k.

This is interesting. I have seen 2-3 year old cars around here of various brands that have the whole front chipped up or peeling. See many of the same models with no problems.

I just figured it was a crash repair done poorly, but guess not.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
Audi..question for you. If you have had a bad experience with the paint why on earth would you buy another Honda? The dealer/mfg wont take care of you, you'll lose money on depreciation, and you want to reward them? Why? Just curious?!

I was wondering the same thing.

If this was a Chevy or some other domestic make they'd be cursing GM, the dealer, customer service, and vowing never to buy an American made car again.
12.gif

This is nothing new with toyota so far as Im concerned. My 01 corolla has hood chips, the first after only 2wks of driving and that includes a chip in the windshield just my luck. I can see the uneven paint spray in several areas also. Should not have passed inspection, shouldve been repainted.

Where are you getting 1000 for a clear bra from? I have had them on three vehicles, installed at 3 different places and it came to about 250 bucks and that was the hood and the driver/passenger mirrors. 1K seems really high.

weak paint is a concern on most new vehicles isnt it? I think it has to do with new all-in-one coat, VOC reduced painting processes. I'd double check the "colourfastness" of the paint of the new car you decide to buy, in an inconspicuous area of course :)

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: c502cid

I was wondering the same thing.

If this was a Chevy or some other domestic make they'd be cursing GM, the dealer, customer service, and vowing never to buy an American made car again.
12.gif

Ditto! That is not the type of dealer attitude I would want to positively reinforce.

I seem to recall you were selling yourself pretty hard when shopping for this Accord. I dunno, it just came across as something you really had to convince yourself you wanted, and sorta used this forum as leverage in the decision.

It's pretty clear this is the wrong car for you. Just get rid of it. It's just a car, nothing more, nothing less. When your real estate deal finalizes you will have enough cash to buy yourself out of whatever hole you are in. It's no big deal. Get the car you need and will do what you want, which is probably the CRV.

You are not blowing money. Satisfaction is not free. There is no way you will get resolution to this problem without spending some cash. So, do you want to spend money to paint a car you don't really like, or do you want to spend money to get a car you will be happy with for the next few years?

It's just a car...... deal with the issue and move on. Save for the Boxster if that will make you happy. In the meantime, drive something that works for you and doesn't raise your blood pressure.

Thank you very much, everyone, for the input.
I went to the Honda dealer today. 1st stop was the used cars. I checked the hoods on a 05 CRV, TSX and Accord. Basicly, they all looked like mine, just not as bad. I noticed the 05 Accord (blue) in particlular has the micro chips. I checked out some of the new cars more closely. 1st, the Accord Coupe. Man that thing was a real land yacht. Funny to say that about an Accord, but yeah...unnecessarily big. The Sedan being big made more sense, but overall, I just could not see myself in one of these cars, I dunno why. The interiors on the Accords were just ok. Nothing special and the dash, while "interesting" looking just seemed too contrived. Fwiw, there was a difference in the grille/bumper cover in the two cars, iirc only the Coupe had the plastic section go above the grille nearer to the hood. Hopefully reducing blast.

Moving along to the CRV, I did like the dash, I did like the interior. I tried to see if the rear seats come completely out after folding, not sure there. However, if I took out the 60% pass side, that would both leave a pocket seat for a rear passenger and create a vast dog-land in the back for my signifigant others. Looks like $24k, minus a $1000 discount (because it's ~me~) Even if my current car nets the $17k I owe, that's a $6k hit. I could live with that, but am NOT going to do it.

The better solution seems to be a delux paint job from my guy. I'll ask for the best paint or process he can muster. I sort of need to do do the fenders too. Ugh. Unless he can assure me satisfaction, I'll maybe opt for the CF hood instead, $450. Hopefully, that will get me what I want, a decent looking car. Definately keeping in mind tht a new car might definately suffer the same fate, although the CRV seems more resistant. (btw- I liked the Tea Green)

I'd just feel like a [censored] buying another new car, kept the RSX for 18 months and this car only 6 months. Even if I could "afford" another car, its' just not smart vs sticking it out with this one. Bottom line is I DO like it.

One other option is an A3, nice lil car w/a good discount. TSX is due for a big discount too.

What problem do/did you have with the Accord anyways besides the paint?

BTW, the bumper on my Civic is starting to look crummy. Been driving more on the highway lately and the rock chips are showing.

You would think that paint would be getting BETTER, not worse. Obviously it has in some ways, since it seems that cars don't start to rust nearly as soon as they used to.

However, I know what you're talking about with paint being thin. On these new cars if you just look at them wrong they scratch.

You would think somebody would be able to come up with an environmentally friendly durable paint that was cheap enough that OEM's would use it.

The car was delivered new with a bad prep as far as paint swirls go. Not too bad in hindsight. I'm used to it looking less-than-perfect now. Anyway, I actually do like the car, a lot. I need to relax. If i could get an A3 or a CRV for $24, I'd have a hard time deciding. I see used A3s for $16-18k.

Audi Junkie,

Before you pull the trigger on another purchase, I urge you to keep hammering away at Honda Corporate. You need to play hardball with them and see where it might go. As much as I dispise using the "lawyer" word as a threat, if you must use it! See if you can rattle any cages. Working in the corporate world all my life, the one thing I have learned is, the person who complains the most and the loudest usually ends up with a favorable outcome. You never know, they might just(fingers crossed) bend if not break and decide to pay for atleast 1/2 the cost of a paint job if not all. Just my 0.02.

Take care, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Half would be a good settlement, that's what I was thinking. They would probally send me to their shop and charge me full price though. Considering I have a $200 credit at a really good shop, I dunno how awesome a deal that would be for me. Now, if I could get a strait $200-$250 out of them...yeah, that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back