Windshield rock chip, replace or repair.

Pew

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I just got a decently sized rock chip on the cx5 from chips flying off a cold-filled pothole and was wondering if this is repairable with off-the-shelf items or if the windshield will need to be replaced. I have used the rainx windshield repair kit from Walmart to good success but those were much smaller chips. The car does have automatic cruise control cameras and auto wiper sensors in the rear view mirror frame thing. The crack is the size of my thumb (small hands.)

Edit: I'll call Progressive after Thanksgiving to see if they cover rock chips of this size with zero deductable in Illinois. My only concern is if they'll replace it with OEM or aftermarket. Safelite replaced the rear glass on the focus with Pilken but the distortion around the defrost lines with tints was noticeable.

PXL_20231123_131859876.jpg

Last edited:
Progressive in Illinois is $100 deductible no fault for windshield glass. Got two in the last two years.

• Love
Reactions: Pew
If you want to try a DIY, use the 3M kit. Fiddly and you have to follow directions closely, but I have had good luck on several of our cars. I'm solidly in the 'keep OEM' camp.

- If your insurance has zero deductible for chip repair, try it (many do).
- If it is not directly in the line of vision AND you can tolerate slight imperfection, try it.

I would keep it in the shade - that chip is begging to spread. Good luck finding an excellent shop, technician, and windshield brand if you have to replace it. It is incredibly difficult. In my area, dealers call in a mobile window guy, so even that is no guarantee.

I had a chip like that and glass shop said wait until it spreads then replace. He said if he tried to inject the filler, those spikes would shoot out instantly. It went 6 months before it started to spread and I had more chips added by then.

I had Progressive coverage in Illinois until I moved away earlier this year. Chip repair for me - used once - was free of charge and did not adversely affect my premium.

Those chips are easily repaired, and, unless in the driver's direct line of sight, will hardly be noticeable. As others have suggested, get it fixed ASAP.

We have gravel mines here and several places that do repair or replace - they stay busy enough where I trust what they recommend and are very good with the claims … I just bring a cup of coffee …

Thanks everyone, I'll give Progressive a call tomorrow then. The chip is eye-level on the passenger side so if they do replace with OEM for $100, I'll go that route. If not, I'll try to fill it as best as possible.

What are your experiences with getting OEM glass for windshields? Especially if you have all the driving sensors mounted up on the glass?

Keep the OEM windshield at all costs unless unrepairable. Most aftermarket windshields aren't of the same quality. Get it fixed asap.
100% Agree!!!!!!~!
Especially since its on passenger side. Seems like a no brainer. Especially if it has "Eyesight"-like options.

Back