Getting rid of Windows 11

Shel, why are you being so salty? We're all just trying to help you.

What you're trying to do in Win11 is entirely possible and easy. Relax.

As was mentioned, there is no way to install win 10 without reformatting the drive. So you need to make backups, which you should do anyways, before proceeding. I hardly doubt there will be a driver issue, windows 10 is still being updated not just for security, but also drivers.

I'm riding win10 until the end. Hopefully MS gets win12 correctly.

@vavavroom First of all, thanks for taking the time to post that. It's nothing new for me. In the FWIW Dept, I've been using Photoshop for about 30 years and I understand how to set associations.

When I try to set the association for a jpeg I get the screen directly below. You'll note that it doesn't allow me to change the association, and you can see the difference between this screen and the next one that is referencing a non-jpeg file. That second screen is like the one your post referenced, and like the screen in Windows 10.

JPEG.jpg

Non JPEG.jpg

Further, when I try to set associations another way, JPEG (JPG) files don't even appear as an option.
default.jpg

So there you have it ... am I missing something?

Shel, why are you being so salty? We're all just trying to help you.

What you're trying to do in Win11 is entirely possible and easy. Relax.
I didn't realize I was being salty. That was not my intent, and I apologize to you and anyone else who may feel that way.

@vavavroom First of all, thanks for taking the time to post that. It's nothing new for me. In the FWIW Dept, I've been using Photoshop for about 30 years and I understand how to set associations.

When I try to set the association for a jpeg I get the screen directly below. You'll note that it doesn't allow me to change the association, and you can see the difference between this screen and the next one that is referencing a non-jpeg file. That second screen is like the one your post referenced, and like the screen in Windows 10.

View attachment 177449
View attachment 177450

Further, when I try to set associations another way, JPEG (JPG) files don't even appear as an option.
View attachment 177453

What version of Photoshop are you using? Can you open jpg files in Bridge? Have you tried resetting all file associations to default? Have you repaired and reset Photoshop?

i just surf + read articles, mostly health + mechanical + for ME everything since W-7 was a downgrade!! BUT i must thank members touting SSD's my new dell has its faster even with the slowest economical DSL i have!!

@Shel_B: Open Bridge and under Edit click on Preferences. Click on File Associations. Check if jpg and png are listed. If not, click Reset to Default Associations. Probably should restart after this.

If you have done this already, forget about it.

@Shel_B: Open Bridge and under Edit click on Preferences. Click on File Associations. Check if jpg and png are listed. If not, click Reset to Default Associations. Probably should restart after this.

If you have done this already, forget about it.
@vavavroom Thanks for your suggestions. I have looked into the jpeg situation at length and everything points to the problem being with Win 11. Additionally, there are other aspects of the program that I don't like, so getting rid of 11 is, for me, going to be the most satisfying option.

View attachment 177449
View attachment 177450

View attachment 177453

Looks like you may be in the wrong place in a file - and default has been set.

Win 11 can do anything you want but there is a steep learning curve. I just went from easy peasy win 7 to gen y-ish win 11. Gasp!

Give yourself time to learn.

I would do it this (below) way - but also maybe direct upload photos right into adobe ps?

press magnifying glass icon in task bar, then type default app

setting default.jpg

then -

setting defaultb.jpg

@vavavroom Thanks for your suggestions. I have looked into the jpeg situation at length and everything points to the problem being with Win 11. Additionally, there are other aspects of the program that I don't like, so getting rid of 11 is, for me, going to be the most satisfying option.
I have Photoshop only on my desktop pc (W10 Pro). I do have W11 on one of my laptops but I don't ever use Photoshop on my laptop. In two years when support for W10 ends, I will have to buy a new PC because the processor in my pc from 2018 is not compatible with W11. So I may run into the problems you have now.

I am a bit befuddled, though.

You said
While I've figured out how to get the file to open in the editor I want, it's not seamless and requires going through menus and several clicks to do so.

What steps do you have to use to open a jpg in photoshop?

Can you right-click on a jpg file or select a multitude of jpg files and choose "send too" and choose Photoshop?

As for setting Photoshop as the default app for opening jpg files, I am not sure that's something I'd want. Just because I open a jpg file I may not want to edit it so I may not want to open Photoshop. That's why I use the above-described method of selecting files and then use "send to" the program of my choice.

If Photoshop upon right-clicking on a file is not listed as an available app for 'open with' or 'send to' that is because only some standard programs are listed by default. You can easily add Photoshop to the list of available apps.

type: Windows + R
type: shell:SendTo
and press enter

Right-click where all the shortcuts are in File Explore and choose: New → shortcut. Then browse to the location of Photoshop in the Program folder on your drive and add Photoshop to the 'Send To' menu with the file browser on that page, find the program .exe, and click ok. You may rename the shortcut. You will now see Photoshop as an available app when right-clicking an image file and choosing 'open with' or 'send to.'

You also said
The program doesn't even show jpegs on their file association list.

Where do you see the file association list for Photoshop? As far as I can tell, it's visible/accessible only in Bridge but not in Photoshop itself.

Last edited:
My PC is not adequate for Windows 11. Didn't think it was that old...
Quick look shows mine came arounnd 2010? poking aorund it says bios version of 2011, so it's a bit old. Quick look says TPM 2.0 came out in 2014, so anything made prior to that is automatically out of the running.

I wonder if I should dual boot this and use Linux Mint. Runs good. But keyboard is missing the F button, no HDMI nor BT, and the battery is good for about 3 minutes. Getting random freezes lately too... might just be time.

Quick look shows mine came arounnd 2010? poking aorund it says bios version of 2011, so it's a bit old. Quick look says TPM 2.0 came out in 2014, so anything made prior to that is automatically out of the running.

I wonder if I should dual boot this and use Linux Mint. Runs good. But keyboard is missing the F button, no HDMI nor BT, and the battery is good for about 3 minutes. Getting random freezes lately too... might just be time.
My PC is 4 years old. I built it at the end of 2019.

I have Photoshop only on my desktop pc (W10 Pro). I do have W11 on one of my laptops but I don't ever use Photoshop on my laptop. In two years when support for W10 ends, I will have to buy a new PC because the processor in my pc from 2018 is not compatible with W11.

Not at all. Do not listen to newb geeks who try to tell you that the sky is falling when *support* for an OS ends. These are the people who don't know much at all about security and so they just cross their fingers and hope MS and timely updates will save them, without any real security or backup plan.

Instead, if they were true professionals, they would tell you to look at the exploit list and see whether any of those affect your use. Facts instead of hand waving, or overgeneralizing hearsay. The truth is, for home users, there are very few things (if any) that weren't already patched during the regular support cycle for an OS so that by the time the support ends, you aren't vulnerable except to user mistakes, for example opening some nefarious email attachment, or some rogue website pops up a message that you're infected and you fall for that and do as it instructs and end up installing malware even though your OS tries to stop you by asking but you allow it (!) because of that social engineering aspect of tricking people.

What is the greatest risk to a home user behind a router? It is not the OS version. It is the entry points, the browser, or opening email attachments.

Many times I have issued a challenge to people who pretend they know we all need to update to the latest OS. Provide me with a situation, that is plausible in my home use, that puts me at risk. They never can. Instead, it's about how modern/current a browser you can run on the OS of choice. Malware has to have a way in, and your browser is the primary (if not exclusive) way that happens unless you are running dodgy things from warez/pirate sites, or CDs included with some generic Chinese product from a non-reputable source.

The better reason to update the OS is because you want new hardware with driver(s) that does not support the OS you already have, or there is a specific feature of the newer OS that is of benefit to you. That is not uncommon, that you know of a feature that would be of benefit, but it's not so much a case of needing to update OS because of end of support. That is a huge mythical lie.

*I've worked in IT over 25 years. The last time I was exploited was accessing ebooks off a Russian FTP server ~20 years ago, using Internet Explorer 6. I booted a Powerquest Driveimage 6 floppy to restore a partition backup which nuked it from orbit.* I did get a lot of ebooks, would call it a win. :) Just sayin', there is reasonable caution and then there is getting to the point of uninformed paranoid, like wearing a tin foil hat, never driving a motor vehicle, never riding in a plane, never eating food (who knows what happend to it??) living in a bubble, never crossing a black cat's path, or being too far away from a lightning pole, etc.

Most of my several systems online, run Win7. They have never been exploited. When I replace them, they will get a newer OS because of the required drivers, and the eventual browser support ending. It is a moving target but not so much based on MS' support cycle as the 3rd party support cycles.

[/rant] ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Y_K

I bet it's missing just the TPM. I noticed only customers or higher grade computers having them until Win11 really took off sometime around 2020/1.

Ouch. I saw links stating to check bios, make sure it's not disabled. But otherwise... yeah I'd be miffed too. I get it, 4 years is geezer land for tech, but still. Makes me think more about going back to Linux for home, or at least dual boot in the short term. Cutting edge I don't need. Just robust and secure.

Back