Getting rid of Windows 11

Yes you'll have to reformat your SSD. Drivers should be covered - as generic drivers have normally always worked except for some special things like HP EliteBook touchpads - but then you can just use a generic mouse until you run a Windows update.

A reformat alone would do wonders like getting rid of OEM programs and specific drivers - which are usually borked during random Window updates.

Win 10 Support ends Oct 2025 if that matters. Might as well get used to it. You can change the menu to look like win 10 in settings.

You can only go back if you upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 and haven't run Disk Cleanup that gets rid of all the OS files. Since you bought it new with Windows 11 on it you don't have that option.

It's entirely possible a newer laptop was designed with only Windows 11 in mind and may no have proper Windows 10 drivers available for certain components anyway. And your Windows license probably wouldn't work so that's an issue.

Windows 11 is the 'current future' so I'd say don't fight it and just get used to it. I'm not a fan either to be honest.
Never said I bought the computer new.
OK just my opinion.

How stinky is Win 11?
As you know, photography is one of my hobbies. Win 11 will not allow me to set a file association to my photo editors. When I click on a jpeg, I want the file to open in my choice of software. Win will only allow the file to open in their week-kneed, toy-like photo editor. While I've figured out how to get the file to open in the editor I want, it's not seamless and requires going through menus and several clicks to do so. The program doesn't even show jpegs on their file association list.

In addition, with Win 10 I could pin any file I wanted to the taskbar, and that made working with frequently used files very easy. Now I have to either go through menus to access the file or put the file or a shortcut on the desktop which clutters up the screen and interferes wth the placement of other files and folders on the desktop.

Sometimes even shutting the computer down requires several clicks and swipes. Yes, there's a way around that multi-step process but that means I am confined to work in the way the program wants me to work, taking away my options and hindering a smooth workflow.

If I want to copy, cut, or paste a file I have to navigate through a couple of menus, and with Win 10 it was much, much simpler.

I could go on, but I believe you've got the picture. Win 11 wants to take control of how I work rather than allow me the control that I desire and to which, over many years, I have become accustomed. While it may be possible to effect some tweaks and use auxiliary programs to accomplish what I want, I just don't want to f with it. Win 10 allows me more freedom with less hassle.

As you know, photography is one of my hobbies. Win 11 will not allow me to set a file association to my photo editors. When I click on a jpeg, I want the file to open in my choice of software. Win will only allow the file to open in their week-kneed, toy-like photo editor. While I've figured out how to get the file to open in the editor I want, it's not seamless and requires going through menus and several clicks to do so. The program doesn't even show jpegs on their file association list.

In addition, with Win 10 I could pin any file I wanted to the taskbar, and that made working with frequently used files very easy. Now I have to either go through menus to access the file or put the file or a shortcut on the desktop which clutters up the screen and interferes wth the placement of other files and folders on the desktop.

Sometimes even shutting the computer down requires several clicks and swipes. Yes, there's a way around that multi-step process but that means I am confined to work in the way the program wants me to work, taking away my options and hindering a smooth workflow.

If I want to copy, cut, or paste a file I have to navigate through a couple of menus, and with Win 10 it was much, much simpler.

I could go on, but I believe you've got the picture. Win 11 wants to take control of how I work rather than allow me the control that I desire and to which, over many years, I have become accustomed. While it may be possible to effect some tweaks and use auxiliary programs to accomplish what I want, I just don't want to f with it. Win 10 allows me more freedom with less hassle.
OH wow, that is sucky!

Product key is covered.
Alright well there is plenty of youtube videos on how to perform a fresh install of Windows 10 using a USB flash drive, you can still get the Windows 10 installation media free from Microsofts website, it will format your SSD for you by following the on screen instructions.

Hopefully everything all works out for you.

Recently, I purchased a laptop that has Win 11 installed. I hate the program and would like to replace it with Win 10. Does the SSD drive have to be reformatted in order to do this? Is it possible to just replace the O/S without destroying or damaging other files? Is it even possible to go "backward" with the O/S?
I'd install Ubuntu or Mint Linux. If you're stuck on the Microsoft layout then install Mint Zorin OS or Linux FX have a Similar layout to windows 10

The way to get around in W11 is to search. Want to run a program? Search. Find a file? Search.
That’s probably the most dramatic shift in using it.
The controls of sound are much better than W10. Phone calls, media, streaming.

You could probably install a virtual W10 inside W11 and live off that for a year.

Right click > Open With > Choose another app.
1694137282648.jpg

Well, just now I figured out how to cut, paste, and copy easily and simply. That's a big help and timesaver.

Ctrl C to copy
Ctrl V to paste
Ctrl X to cut

PrtScn now allows adjustable snips instead of the entire desktop.

Right click > Open With > Choose another app.
View attachment 177408
Yes, I know that. What I said is that I cannot associate a JPEG with my editing software, so instead of one click on the image I now have to make multiple clicks and move my cursor. That is a PITA when I'm trying to maintain a smooth work flow. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but when I'm working and may need to access multiple images, or an image multiple times, it's effin annoying. I'll say it again: I cannot associate my editing software with JPEGs and Win 11 doesn't even show a JPEG on the association list.

Yes, I know that. What I said is that I cannot associate a JPEG with my editing software, so instead of one click on the image I now have to make multiple clicks and move my cursor. That is a PITA when I'm trying to maintain a smooth work flow. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but when I'm working and may need to access multiple images, or an image multiple times, it's effin annoying. I'll say it again: I cannot associate my editing software with JPEGs and Win 11 doesn't even show a JPEG on the association list.

Have you tried going into Default Apps > Type in .jpeg in the top search box > Click photos > Search from the list or scroll down to manually find the .exe of your program via file explorer.

1694138564232.png

Back