Windows 10 extremely slow HP Z230 i5-4590 16gb ram 500gb hd

Because I don’t have full sized display port?

I have HDMI, VGA, DVI and mini DisplayPort available. I got rid of my last regular DisplayPort screen after a thunderstorm .

My 2048x1536 CRT screen and 19” LCD is good enough for now.

Found it very strange that a pc even in 2014 had DVI as a primary option with a DisplayPort

It's just a joke. 😁

I never used it when it had windows 7, shall I get a cpucool app and see if anything is overheating?

I too find it strange that with a formatted drive and a vanilla Win10 installation that things are as glacial as they are, my core2duo ran 10 faster with 4gb of ram, not 16 that is in here.

Hoping it’s just spinning rust causing issues and not a tweaked board/ram/cpu
It depends on how long ago you were running Windows 10 on a Core2 Duo, Windows 10 isn't really one OS, it's like a dozen different versions of an OS and at some point I think it got a lot more bloated to the point where it's pretty terrible to use on spinning rust. The cooling system on HP and Dell systems of that era tends to be pretty good, they used something similar to the intel radial bifurcated 65W heatsink but twice as tall which should be more than sufficient for a Haswell CPU.

I think your first few words pretty much sums it up. " I have an old HP Z230", I would replace the PC while taking advantage of the holiday deals instead of dumping any money into your old computer.
Most of those Black Friday deals have mediocre proprietary power supplies and expansion, oddly enough this antique is easier to swap PSUs and mainboards than the new stuff . If I get into “build my own” I will be set back a rather large amount of bank even after deals just to have standardized components and an adequate PSU for a future gpu.

Most of those Black Friday deals have mediocre proprietary power supplies and expansion, oddly enough this antique is easier to swap PSUs and mainboards than the new stuff . If I get into “build my own” I will be set back a rather large amount of bank even after deals just to have standardized components and an adequate PSU for a future gpu.
If I were getting a new PC, I definitely want to build one, so you get a standard PSU and good cooling, most of these systems now are using what amounts to a pathetic stock heatsink, which is not what you want on these modern CPUs, you want a big honking tower cooler or a CLC so that you can make the most out of turbo boosting.

everything as a life cycle so unless you are very tec savy a decent midrange setup in your price range might be the best. i was looking into a SSD for my older 17" HP lappy BUT the installation + transfer of saving what i want is costly if not a DIY, so now enjoy a fast new dell inspiron 16 + love the backlit keys!! i just surf + shop + enjoy You Tubes, especially the music stuff playing thru my new audio engine powered speakers!! sometimes we just gotta open our wallets + that can be cheeper in the long run, so get the options you want from the get go, NOT afterwards IMO

Depends. What type of RAM? You may want a system "refresh" if some stuff is OK.

My 2016 i7 processor croaked for reasons unknown. Other than it was a crapp MS MB. I bought a new MB, good i5, new SSD, PS and a new video card. And the price total was amazing.

PS Edit. I was able to sell my old 32GB RAM and 2G video card for decent money on eBay

Last edited:
Strangely enough, I’ve seen some more folks than normal have issues with 10, even with more current hardware…..

SSD will be a huge help for sure…….

Strangely enough, I’ve seen some more folks than normal have issues with 10, even with more current hardware…..

SSD will be a huge help for sure…….
Interesting. You think because 11??

My new system screams with Win 10. Nothing slows it down. I do run clean and have 64 GB RAM

Side note even with a new SSD start fresh. You probably have bunch of useless crud built up

Also highly recommend two SSDs for backup

Interesting. You think because 11??

My new system screams with Win 10. Nothing slows it down. I do run clean and have 64 GB RAM

Side note even with a new SSD start fresh. You probably have bunch of useless crud built up

Also highly recommend two SSDs for backup
Mostly with friends computers.

My son and I are going to update his mom’s old desktop and keep 10 on it- but my son plans on dropping at least one SSD to keep in going.

I’ve been playing with it the last couple of days, and ours seems to be decent even on an old school drive. Granted, my son is going to update it anyways…. :)

Slow is a very loose term. Take a screenshot of your windows task manager (in more details mode) performance page at the time when this machine slows down.

See whats limiting you to induce this "slow" and upgrade that part only.

Avoid the generalizations of dumping ram, cpu, hdd, ssd, OS, etc

Slow is a very loose term. Take a screenshot of your windows task manager (in more details mode) performance page at the time when this machine slows down.

See whats limiting you to induce this "slow" and upgrade that part only.

Avoid the generalizations of dumping ram, cpu, hdd, ssd, OS, etc

Yup, totally agree. What exactly is slow? The boot up time? Opening a browser window?

Some viruses or malware ping the CPU at 100% or very close, so the computer becomes very slow even at pretty much everything, like even right clocking on desktop, etc.

Once it boots up, click on Task Manager to see what's eating up your computing power and RAM.

Back