Getting rid of Windows 11

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Recently, I purchased a laptop that has Win 11 installed. I hate the program and would like to replace it with Win 10. Does the SSD drive have to be reformatted in order to do this? Is it possible to just replace the O/S without destroying or damaging other files? Is it even possible to go "backward" with the O/S?

You can only go back if you upgraded from Windows 10 to 11 and haven't run Disk Cleanup that gets rid of all the OS files. Since you bought it new with Windows 11 on it you don't have that option.

It's entirely possible a newer laptop was designed with only Windows 11 in mind and may no have proper Windows 10 drivers available for certain components anyway. And your Windows license probably wouldn't work so that's an issue.

Windows 11 is the 'current future' so I'd say don't fight it and just get used to it. I'm not a fan either to be honest.

It's pretty easy and i did it myself and im no computer guy. Download windows media creation tool on the windows website and it's pretty straightforward to put it on a usb. I assume you're logged in with a Microsoft account of some sort so the windows activation shouldn't be an issue. There is an easy way to get the windows key from the computer just google search it. it involved using command i think if you're not logged in. But i had no issues and didn't need to do anything with the key since it did it automatically. But after that figuring out how to boot into the usb is the next thing that needs to be done but i watched a YouTube vid on my phone and figured it out in a few minutes and booted into the windows installer and deleted all the partitions and did a fresh install. End result was a clean low storage using windows 10 instillation. Before over half my ram was always used up and it took up over 80gb. After that my ram usage was a only a quarter and the storage after updates and such was i think 24gb. It also booted up and ran a lot faster without all the pre installed viruses all computer manufactures shoe horn into them. It is absolutely worth doing. Doing the "restart" within the OS did nothing to remove any pre installed garbage that slowed everything down, just about all of it is useless anyway. i only re installed the dell update program and that was it. Made my new laptop so great, i almost returned it.

Last edited:
Windows 10 end of support is not too far away so you might as well get used to Windows 11 there is actually no more windows 10 version updates only security updates.

Windows 12 is in the making. But if you are really wanting to downgrade you will have to perform a fresh install and you may need to purchase a product key.

I don't know how long the OP wants to keep this computer, but MS says they will support W10 with security updates through Oct 2025:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

2 years doesn't sound like much time for that to me.

Windows 10 end of support is not too far away so you might as well get used to Windows 11 there is actually no more windows 10 version updates only security updates.

Windows 12 is in the making. But if you are really wanting to downgrade you will have to perform a fresh install and you may need to purchase a product key.

Technically OP its only possible if there are complimentary Windows 10 drivers available for your laptop. You did not include the brand or model number so none of us can check for you. If they are available, download them and install Windows 10. Good luck.

Recently, I purchased a laptop that has Win 11 installed. I hate the program and would like to replace it with Win 10. Does the SSD drive have to be reformatted in order to do this? Is it possible to just replace the O/S without destroying or damaging other files? Is it even possible to go "backward" with the O/S?

I mean if you have to ask on a forum about how to do it... It would probably be easier to just learn to live with W11,
Look up some tweaks for it.

Product key is covered.

Back