Home prices jump for seventh straight month in August

It’s almost as if the less one borrowed, the less we feel it when paid off. I guess we felt the benefit over 15-20 years. My payment was $1105 and my wife’s aunt said, “That’s nothing!” It’s something to me. It’s as if to her, it’s a badge of honor to have a $5000+ monthly, and a disgrace to have a payment that small 😂
Having a property paid off was an impossible dream. Even buying and making payments was beyond my imagination.
Keep making those payments. One day you will live there free and clear. It's an incredible feeling!

We are living in interesting economic times.

Our home payment was $1,200/mo and to me that was a lot but now that’s just a car payment today. Once you pay off your home you’ll never want another mortgage. We have a 1,500sqft home and a growing family but have decided to stay put and enjoy what we have. It’s too difficult of a thing to swallow to give up your smaller paid for home for an upgrade and a payment at high interest. The idea of losing your home during a recession and job loss is too scary - especially with children. Security is peace of mind. I try to remember that 50 years ago a family of 4 or 5 in a 1,200 sqft 3BR, 1BA was the normal. If they did it we can too. I try and remind myself that a larger home is a want and not a need.
My college roommate (he was 12 years older) grew up on Long Island. Neither of his parents finished HS. His dad worked from 20-55 for Con Edison as a lineman. He was able to buy a 3 bed 1700 sq ft home in Baldwin NY, and raise 5 kids. Those homes are $740k today with $17k property taxes.

My other buddy is a been there done that with me. He strongly discourages me from getting a McMansion nor a new car. He tells me to enjoy my life and don’t borrow to get things at this stage of one’s life. I probably won’t listen and burn my hand on the stove. It’s what I’ve always done.

My college roommate (he was 12 years older) grew up on Long Island. Neither of his parents finished HS. His dad worked from 20-55 for Con Edison as a lineman. He was able to buy a 3 bed 1700 sq ft home in Baldwin NY, and raise 5 kids. Those homes are $740k today with $17k property taxes.

My other buddy is a been there done that with me. He strongly discourages me from getting a McMansion nor a new car. He tells me to enjoy my life and don’t borrow to get things at this stage of one’s life. I probably won’t listen and burn my hand on the stove. It’s what I’ve always done.

I mean it’s a trade off. Life is short. Some people buy what they want and don’t mind large payments. Others view security as more important. It’s all a trade off. Just follow your risk tolerances and do whats right for you and your family to the best of your ability 👍🏻. At the end of the day it’s shelter and if it meets your needs and make you happy that’s all that matters!

My rate of 2.6% has made it more difficult to consider relocating for a different job as even purchasing the "equivalent" house to my current one (assuming the new market is priced the same) means a considerable hike in salary to keep the take-home the same after the mortgage payment. I'm sure I'm not alone in being swayed to stay put as long as I can.

We bought when rates were low and prices were just starting to creep up. Now our home is worth more than 1.5x what we paid for it a few years ago. As much as I'd love a new place, I'd feel like I was throwing away all that equity for not much of an upgrade. We will probably stay put and just remodel to our liking.

17k property taxes for Baldwin is nuts

People with generational low mortgage rates will be very reluctant to move. That in turn exacerbates the housing shortage, further driving up prices. I will never let go of my 2.9%.

People with generational low mortgage rates will be very reluctant to move. That in turn exacerbates the housing shortage, further driving up prices. I will never let go of my 2.9%.
I actually thought 3.37 was bad but I was in the home stretch so I lived with it. Plus it was a home equity not a mortgage. My buddy said he currently has a heloc prime minus 0.75 and it’s at 7.75%. Factor in the interest isn’t deductible and that’s a bad situation (he got it when interest was deductible I mean even I remember a time where you have a pulse of at least 40 and you’re approved for $100k so why not if no fees and no minimum draw)

When you say generational think of this. I’m of the generation where stocks don’t go down. This dates all the way back to 1994. Until 1994 and from my birth? Stocks were pretty much hit or miss.

@dogememe Think about this, in 1980 the average 30 yr fixed mortgage rate was 13.74% and never went below 10% through the 80s. We managed to buy and sell several houses through those years. You're a working man in California, how you will ever own property will be a miracle.

Our property value has climbed back to the high point of June 2022 after losing 10%. Not selling but it's good to keep track.
Yes, MANY decades ago, newly married, we bought a home at high prices and no inventory on Long Island.
I remember our sales agent saying she felt bad for young people including her kids because things are so tough. LOL
Yet everyone I knew, all our friends bought homes. Those homes what the agent thought was high at the time are many times their value now. Todays homes will be too one day.
We paid many points, 20% down and 10.25% rate. BTW we all worked both husband and wife full time jobs. We made it happen, failure or living with a parent was not even a thought.

A sibling bought before us, waterfront home on the Great South Bay of Long Island at a great price and 16% mortgage rate.

Today’s rates are still historically reasonable.
Home prices are what people can afford and if you can’t you found a home in a state and job somewhere you could.

Mass media, social media, 24 hour so called “news” on everyone’s personal devices and TV is turning many people young and old into drones of mass despair (for media profits) because they lean on it like a crutch and blame someone else when they say they can’t do something.

The home building in the Carolinas is massive, reasonable, jobs plentiful if you make the effort. Oh taxes and utilities cheap. STUPID CHEAP, like $10,000+ less a year than Long Island and utilities like electricity a full 50% less.
In the last year we sold our larger 16 yr old 5 br SC home in two days and purchased a new fair size 3br plus home office for just my wife and I plus any possible company near the NC coast in a large well established “resort” community.
The continuing building here of nice reasonably priced homes, dirt cheap taxes, utilities and fuel amazes me.
Seems like every 6 months another block of 20 foundations and homes are going up.

Not saying it isn’t tough in some areas, but then those have to go someplace else. Because even the job market, there are jobs everywhere.

I do look back at the area we used to live on Long Island and think to myself why would anyone want to live there anymore?
Insane prices on old homes, highest taxes in the nation, traffic and people congestion everywhere. The answer to that question is people have to have the guts to move and make it happen elsewhere.

Last edited:
Yes, MANY decades ago, newly married, we bought a home at high prices and no inventory. I remember our sales agent saying she felt bad for young people including her kids because things are so tough. LOL
Yet everyone I knew, all our friends bought homes. Those homes what the agent thought was high at the times are many times their value now. Todays homes will be too one day.
We paid many points, 20% down and 10.25% rate. BTW we all worked both husband and wife full time jobs. We made it happen, failure or living with a parent was not even a thought.

A sibling bought before us, waterfront home on the Great South Bay of Long Island at a great price and 16% mortgage rate.

Today’s rates are still historically reasonable.
Home prices are what people can afford and if you can’t you found a home in a state and job somewhere you could.

Mass media, social media, 24 hour so called “news” on everyone’s personal devices and TV is turning many people young and old into drones of mass despair (for media profits) because they lean on it like a crutch and blame someone else when they say they can’t do something.
My bro hires out of college. He says he notices a few things. One, no one is remotely interested in home ownership, cars, nor working. They appear to all have a bilt Mastercard and earn points when they charge their rent. $3000/mo is not at a threshold where they would consider roomies. Parents still help them out.

I wish I were making up the above

What’s interesting to me many females are former division 1 college athletes. They competed all their lives I woulda thought that gives them a leg up. They competed from age 5-22, why stop? Lacrosse and soccer are big, and that says something about their demographics

I actually thought 3.37 was bad but I was in the home stretch so I lived with it. Plus it was a home equity not a mortgage. My buddy said he currently has a heloc prime minus 0.75 and it’s at 7.75%. Factor in the interest isn’t deductible and that’s a bad situation (he got it when interest was deductible I mean even I remember a time where you have a pulse of at least 40 and you’re approved for $100k so why not if no fees and no minimum draw)

When you say generational think of this. I’m of the generation where stocks don’t go down. This dates all the way back to 1994. Until 1994 and from my birth? Stocks were pretty much hit or miss.
Even 3.5-4.0 is pretty good!!

As a young adult I bought our first home in 1986, and I had good credit, but my rate was 11.5%. Now, with excellent credit I have a 2.9% from 2 years ago. I can easily pay the house off but why would I? A T bill pays 5% and I would lose the mortgage deduction too. I'll never let the 2.9% go.

Yes, todays 8% is still below the 1978 to 1992 rates. 8% is actually pretty "normal".

As a young adult I bought our first home in 1986, and I had good credit, but my rate was 11.5%. Now, with excellent credit I have a 2.9% from 2 years ago. I can easily pay the house off but why would I? A T bill pays 5% and I would lose the mortgage deduction too. I'll never let the 2.9% go.

Yes, todays 8% is still below the 1978 to 1992 rates. 8% is actually pretty "normal".

but when you also look at how much inflation has gone up too over the past two years...not good...

It just means you’re weird in a good way. I’ve got about 5 years left to get there. I’ve been told the grass feels better when the payment is gone.

Being debt free is an amazing feeling! I'm one of the lucky ones that I ended up in really good financial shape after splitting up with my second wife, as we are still best friends, so we split the profit of our house equally, got divorced without using any lawyers (so it only cost us $600!) and I kept both of my cars. So as I mentioned earlier, I now have a one bedroom apartment but I have no mortgage and no other debt of any kind, and the living expenses for the apartment are very low (for example I have no water bill and my hydro bill is usually $60 a month in the summer and $100 in the winter). That is especially good for me right now because back in May I lost my job, so I decided to take at least a year off work and have a sort of "temporary retirement" at age 53. Moving forward I never intend on taking on any more debt.

I see Las Vegas is #7 on that list. The reality is that prices are still going up (too much!) here. Buyers are lined up and sellers are reluctant. It doesn't really matter if 1 out of 5 houses falls out of escrow when there are still so many buyers out there. House falls out, next guy in line takes it.
Lot of California money still coming in and paying cash. I suspect that many of the fall outs are locals that don't qualify for the loans with their (under)reported income.

I see Las Vegas is #7 on that list. The reality is that prices are still going up (too much!) here. Buyers are lined up and sellers are reluctant. It doesn't really matter if 1 out of 5 houses falls out of escrow when there are still so many buyers out there. House falls out, next guy in line takes it.
Lot of California money still coming in and paying cash. I suspect that many of the fall outs are locals that don't qualify for the loans with their (under)reported income.
When the buyers of our home backed out of the sales contract, the new buyers paid 20k more, As you implied- in todays market a buyer backing out of the contract might actually be a win for the seller.

Back