self propelled walk behind mower

looked at every brand in area,as toro 21472 all wheel drive,troybuilt,cub cadet,honda etc,,needed one with a slow walk pace and dealer support,very interisting how various brands/modles are built and claimed results,toro and airens self propelled seems very good,did not want electric due to not only price and the cost of batterys when they fail later down the road,,the gas still out performes seemingly better still per cost of unit,got the toro as the best value ,build quality and performance, b

I have a Toro Super Recycler which uses Toro's "Personal Pace" drive system. I think it works great, you can walk however slow or fast with it, simply gently press the handle forward to go slow or press harder to go faster.

I’d look at a Toro Recycler we had three of them over the years. Very good mowers. We would still have the last one but one of us ran over a board when we were mowing and the self propel stopped working so we bought a Yard Machine one at Sam’s Club it’s good at mowing but moves fast so if you aren’t careful it will take you off your feet haha. We have a Honda mower too that was free. Never really liked it so it’s in our mower junkyard at home.

My 13 year old Honda lawn mower (no clutch) is chugging along just fine. I just changed the oil today after nearly 3 years and filled her up with Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 "Triple Action+". Zero oil consumption. Will do this again in another 3 years.

I've been very happy with our Honda (which uses one handle for the clutch and another to enable the self-propelled feature, which itself has a lever controlling its speed). We have the HRX217HYA and have gotten about 10 years of good service out of it so far. (Be warned - these are going for over a thousand bucks, so they're not a cheap option.)

I've used a few different Personal Pace and didn't mind them, but I do prefer locking in the speed via a lever (as on our Honda) to pushing on the Personal Pace handlebar. The Honda seems as though you are walking behind it, while the Personal Pace needs some pressure on the handlebar (not much, just a bit) to propel itself, and thus seems a bit less effortless.

My neighbor who would lose a race with a turtle has an Ego electric mower. I'm not on the electric thing yet but was impressed with his mower. It could be set at a very slow pace, it was quiet and could cut some pretty thick grass.

We have the most basic Toro as the area is flat and it pushes easily enough and does a good job. $480 a couple years ago.

The Toro 21" aluminum deck Super Recycler is the best lawnmower on the market IMO, and an outstanding mulcher. I have one with a Briggs Quantum that is approaching 30 years old and it has been used weekly nearly the year around (because of where I live). It might be the last mower you will ever purchase if you take care of it. The 22" steel deck Recyclers are cheaper but not nearly as good and won't last nearly as long, furthermore, they are not even manufactured by Toro.
Toro has the largest dealer network and best parts availability. Try to purchase one from an authorized dealer.
Honda is getting out of the lawnmower business. This coming September they will manufacture their last lawnmower. You can expect that there will be parts and service issues going forward.

Last edited:
I started a thread on a Lawn-Boy a few weeks ago. My dad just got a Toro Super Recycler with the 190 CC engine. He wanted the bigger engine which is the electric start model.

I have a Toro Super Recycler which uses Toro's "Personal Pace" drive system. I think it works great, you can walk however slow or fast with it, simply gently press the handle forward to go slow or press harder to go faster.
I agree. It's amazing how such a simple system works so well.

The Toro Personal Pace is the best. At the time I needed a new mower there were none to be found (pandemic). I found the Honda. It has the stupid thumb drive. I find that I’m either pushing the mower or chasing it. Poor design. It also has hard plastic wheels like a toy. Don’t even think about mowing in places that might be slightly wet. No traction. Lastly the discharge is on the rear of the mower. You walk through the clippings as they are discharged onto your shoes. Poor design. I’m sure this mower will last a lifetime…
My review. Avoid Honda.

I have the Toro - Personal Pace with aluminum deck.
Using it is like a walk in the Park.
After 12 years, still going strong .... last year I regrooved the tires (using Dremel grinder)
Great for mulching leaves in the Fall.

another Toro Personal Pace fan, here. Going into my 18th mowing season with mine. The drive system has been flawless. The deck is starting to show some rust bubbles and I've replaced all 4 wheels in the past few years due to them wallowing out. Still starts on 1st pull. When the day comes, I'll replace it with another Toro.

I seem to be the rebel when it comes to lawnmowers. I don't want a fancy, heavy, self propelled luxury mower.

I want about 3.5HP, lightweight (as long as the deck isn't ridiculously thin to the point where it rusts out prematurely), where I can just sort of lean into the handlebar and it goes forward. I'm not that heavy or tall either, it's just that a light mower is not hard to push. On hills I mow sideways instead of up and down. Well truth told I hardly ever use the push mower after I got a riding mower, but in my youth I mowed neighborhood lawns for pocket money so have done it quite a bit in my lifetime.

The Toro 21" aluminum deck Super Recycler is the best lawnmower on the market IMO, and an outstanding mulcher. I have one with a Briggs Quantum that is approaching 30 years old and it has been used weekly nearly the year around (because of where I live). It might be the last mower you will ever purchase if you take care of it. The 22" steel deck Recyclers are cheaper but not nearly as good and won't last nearly as long, furthermore, they are not even manufactured by Toro.
Toro has the largest dealer network and best parts availability. Try to purchase one from an authorized dealer.
Honda is getting out of the lawnmower business. This coming September they will manufacture their last lawnmower. You can expect that there will be parts and service issues going forward.

I have the same Toro mower not as but not old as yours, its only 14 years. The only real problem was the drive belt broke 3 years ago. The Toro dealer did the work and the mower is still doing its job. Change the oil with a vacuum fluid extractor, install a new blade once a year and mow worry free for years.

I have the Super Recycler, as well, and the pacing drive is amazing. There are two other things I love about it. First, the cutting and mulching leaves the lawn looking immaculate. It mulches exceptionally well, even in tall grass. It also folds up vertically and takes up very little space in the garage. I absolutely love this mower.

We have 2 Toro Super Recycler self propelled mowers, one is Personal Pace and the other is a standard 3 speed. First one was purchased in 1996, and the Personal Pace one was purchased in 2007. Sort of his and hers. My wife prefers the standard 3 speed and I prefer the Personal Pace.

Both have worked flawlessly, although I did overhaul the carburetor on the 1996 model about 10 years ago due to some bad gas that I purchased, and then I replaced the primer bulb around the same time.

I do change the oil on them a couple of times per season, and neither burns any oil, so I am sold on Toro mowers (at least the push type self propelled). By the way, both have B&S engines - also zero trouble.

I've been very happy with our Honda (which uses one handle for the clutch and another to enable the self-propelled feature, which itself has a lever controlling its speed). We have the HRX217HYA and have gotten about 10 years of good service out of it so far. (Be warned - these are going for over a thousand bucks, so they're not a cheap option.)

I've used a few different Personal Pace and didn't mind them, but I do prefer locking in the speed via a lever (as on our Honda) to pushing on the Personal Pace handlebar. The Honda seems as though you are walking behind it, while the Personal Pace needs some pressure on the handlebar (not much, just a bit) to propel itself, and thus seems a bit less effortless.
And Honda will stop making mowers this year. Repair parts will be available though.they make good mowers and am sorry they are exiting the market.

Back