Fram Ultra restict flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
This title is misleading. Should be Hyundai engine oil flow problems.
How is that? I've got 88k miles on the motor and this pops up out of the blue?

The flow was good on the filter for the first 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Like said before, go swap out only the filter with a new Ultra and see if the pressure readings under the same driving conditions has changed.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Like said before, go swap out only the filter with a new Ultra and see if the pressure readings under the same driving conditions has changed.
And like I said I will when the weather improves.

And like I said I will when the weather improves.

Need to run the pressure test at the same cold driving conditions for a valid test.

Oil temp will be the same or within 10f normal (180f).

But if it's another temperature influenced issue, like the oil pressure sensor electrical output being offset by cold temps, then testing at higher ambient temps wouldn't show that.

Oil temp will be the same or within 10f normal (180f).

But if it's another temperature influenced issue, like the oil pressure sensor electrical output being offset by cold temps, then testing at higher smbient temps wouldn't show that.
I don't think the sensor is affected by temperature. But it is still winter here......

In order to have a valid good test, need to change only one variable at a time. Do the same test on a much warmer day without swapping filters and see if it shows a diffetent result. Will tell you if it's ambient temperature related.

Well could you give me the conditions and i will endeavor to meet them.

I'm sure more 5f nights will be here but I don't see how air temp would be a big influence. The coolant does run hotter the more heater you use.

Well could you give me the conditions and i will endeavor to meet them.

I'm sure more 5f nights will be here but I don't see how air temp would be a big influence. The coolant does run hotter the more heater you use.

What I would recommend is on a warmer day that you plan on swapping filters, go do a test drive and record the pressure readings. Then swap out the filter with a new Ultra, same model number. Then go run the exact same driving tests. All done on the same day over an hours time period. Only thing changed in the mix was the oil filter.

And the verdict is....

Bad electrical connection at the gauge.
21.gif

I was going to change the filter but the gauge was showing some pressure after the car had been off for a week or so. So I loosened the filter to relive any residual pressure, hardly any oil came out. And was still seeing 22 lbs of pressure.

I changed the sender and still the 22 lbs so it had to be in the wiring or the gauge itself. Unplugged the gauge and plugged it back in and the pressure dropped to 0 psi.

Tightened up the filter again and took it for a drive. The pressure again goes to +80 psi and does not "stall" at any pressure but continues to rise fairly evenly as the rpms rise.

^^^ There ya go, root cause found, fixed and verified. Glad you found the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back