Fram XG7317 on 2024 Impreza

Hi, I've been reading through all the Subaru oil filter threads which usually devolve into who knows more than who...Anyway, I'm looking to use the Fram Ultra filter (XG7317) on my new Impreza as they are cheap and seem to be very well rated in filtration, but the bypass rating is holding me back.

So here's what I'm thinking with my simple understanding of the topic. The pressure at the filter should be lower due to the higher quality media, so really the lower bypass rating should even out since the filter won't see as much pressure as the OEM filters. Is the bypass even going to open in any normal situations? I'm thinking mainly really cold starts and that's about it?

I know I'm overthinking it, just want to see if my understanding of it's function is correct. I will be using the required 0w16 so that's not a factor.

Thanks!

Subaru oil filter has a much higher BPV rating compared to XG7317 and for me I would use the OEM filter.

“ Is the bypass even going to open in any normal situations? “

What about higher RPMs as oil pressure builds as you accelerate from traffic light ?
Will it immediately go into bypass ?

I wish Fram made a dedicated oil filter for Mazda and Subaru, not cross reference to a Honda filter.

Last edited:
It's true that a filter with a lower dP vs flow curve doesn't need as high of a bypass valve setting, but you don't exactly know what the dP vs flow curve is unless you assume that Ascent and BR testing is representive of the new Ultra too. The thinner 0W-16 oil will help reduce the dP across the filter, as well at not screaming around near redline and keeping revs down until the oil is warmed up well. If you want to sleep better about the bypass valve, then just use a fitter that's specified for that engine that has a higher bypass valve setting.

Ok, so it looks like taking a chance that the media is better is not worth it. Carquest Premium #84712 seems like a better choice then with the 20-30 PSI bypass rating.

So here's what I'm thinking with my simple understanding of the topic. The pressure at the filter should be lower due to the higher quality media, so really the lower bypass rating should even out since the filter won't see as much pressure as the OEM filters. Is the bypass even going to open in any normal situations? I'm thinking mainly really cold starts and that's about it?
There have been some dP-flow tests done on FRAM Ultras. The XG3614 (which is a bit larger than the XG7317) measured 8.8 psi at 10 GPM with 15-16 cST oil. The XG7317 bypass is rated 9-15 psi, 9 psi being the initial opening pressure, so it would start bypassing at ~10 GPM.

I believe the oil pumps on the FB engines are rated at around 55 L/min, or 14.6 GPM, so they can flow a lot more oil than is necessary for the filter bypass to open, even when the oil is pretty warm. As the filter gets dirty, the dP will increase and it will bypass even more.

The most efficient filter available that has the proper bypass rating is probably the PurolatorOne.

I think there is a lot of discussion that the vehicle in question requires the correct/higher bypass.
You might look at the Fram HP17. It has 94%@20micron, and higher relief valve setting 16-28PSI.

There have been some dP-flow tests done on FRAM Ultras. The XG3614 (which is a bit larger than the XG7317) measured 8.8 psi at 10 GPM with 15-16 cST oil. The XG7317 bypass is rated 9-15 psi, 9 psi being the initial opening pressure, so it would start bypassing at ~10 GPM.
The 0W-16 at operating temp would be well below 15 cSt which would help keep the dP down. He'd have to rev to near redline before the oil warmed up to get into filter bypass.

If the OP is concerned about unfiltered engine oil I would recommend ponying up for the fram endurance FE7317. I take care of many subarus and have seen the new Ultra and carquest tear a handful of times in them which wont happen on the wire backed Endurance.

Reactions: NO2
Hi, I've been reading through all the Subaru oil filter threads which usually devolve into who knows more than who...Anyway, I'm looking to use the Fram Ultra filter (XG7317) on my new Impreza as they are cheap and seem to be very well rated in filtration, but the bypass rating is holding me back.

I know I'm overthinking it, just want to see if my understanding of it's function is correct. I will be using the required 0w16 so that's not a factor.

Thanks!
Good Morning Flat4wagen,
The Ultra is an excellent filter with excellent performance specs. You can use them with confidence. With the 6,000 OCI of your Subaru you have over a 3X safety factor on the media. Enjoy that new WRX!

The bypass rating is dependent on the filter media. A higher resistance media will require a higher bypass pressure in your oil filter. The bypass rating of 17psi on a Subaru filter does not necessarily equate to the same PSI rating on a different filter. The

An excellent comparison of the different types of Fram filters is available on YouTube:

At 2:41 (Fram Ultra) and 3:05 (Fram Endurance) you can see the difference in tested pressure. At 10 gpm the Ultra/Endurance differential pressure was 8.8/8.3. The Subaru FB25 oil pump puts out 14.5 gpm at 6000 rpm. If the output is roughly linear, it is around 10 gpm at 4000 rpm, and 5 gpm at 2000 rpm. Your FB25 will spend very little of its operating life at 4000 rpm or above.

The bypass pressure of the XG7317 Ultra is 9-15 psi. The FE7317 endurance is 11-17 psi.

The output of the oil pump is not exactly linear, and the XX7317 is around 9% smaller than the tested XX3614, but if the filter media perform in a similar fashion, both the Ultra and Endurance will be perfectly fine for normal use on your Subaru.

We have Outbacks with the FB25 and we use the Endurance because of superior construction and better flow characteristics. The Ultra is also an excellent choice and both will work well.

Back