Fram Ultra XG9688 Before HPL Cleaner and Post HPL OCI 5200Miles

Vehicle is 2017 Outback 3.6 I've owned since new. 160K miles on the clock. Post FF she has had about 16 Fram Ultra XG9688 filters and Mobil 1 5-30 (with IIRC 2 Pennz Plt 5-30 runs). OCI is 7500 -10k. Until the HPL run I've never had one of these filters show anything but excellent visual results. I do cut every filter post OCI.

I've done 5 or 6 UOA's with excellent results. I ran HPL cleaner for 5200 miles. My guess was there would be little to no cleaning but the filter has me guessing.... @ZeeOSix I'm really interested in hearing your thoughts on this. Is it the filter? Or did the HPL have anything to do with it?? The filter before HPL was bought along with the filter used for the HPL run within the last 6 months from Amazon subscribe and save. The previous filter was a 7500mile OCI.

No visible debris in the HPL run but certainly dark color (not that it matters much). Pics below! The wavy one is the HPL 5200mile OCI.

OB1.jpg
OB2.jpg
OB4.jpg
OB5.jpg
ob6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What differences are you noticing between these photos and prior inspection?

I've never had a wavy filter at 7500-10k with the same filter. HPL and 5200miles and I had heavy waves on two sides of the filter. Not so clear on the image but the HPL run filter is most certainly exhibiting a greater degree of contaminants. The 3.6 isn't hard on oil and I am on top of maintenance with quality products so I did not expect much to clean. I can certainly see HPL did clean as the pleats seem to have a greater degree of contaminants at 5k as opposed to my standard 7500k run without the HPL. That is all visual though and subjective.

@BISCUT ... Both look like non-wire backed filters (true?), but one has louvers and the other has holes in the center tube. What are the data codes on each?

The HPL could have had an effect, even though it doesn't look apparent, it could be loaded up more than normal and caused more dP for a longer time period. Also, since the center tube is different I wonder if that could have any effect on how the oil flows past the media - long shot perhaps? Was one ran during colder climate than the other?

You're going to need a wire backed filter the next time you run the HPL cleaner. Apparently. 😳
What are the newer or better wire backed filters these days? I've seen multiple threads and pictures with Fram Ultra and being wavy, sloppy glue and someone had seams that didn't stay together or had holes.

My last unknown # of OCI's over the years has been Fram Ultra's or OEM (Toyota/Honda/Hyundai-KIA).

I wouldn't know what to switch to at this point when my stash supply runs low.

What are the newer or better wire backed filters these days? I've seen multiple threads and pictures with Fram Ultra and being wavy, sloppy glue and someone had seams that didn't stay together or had holes.

My last unknown # of OCI's over the years has been Fram Ultra's or OEM (Toyota/Honda/Hyundai-KIA).

I wouldn't know what to switch to at this point when my stash supply runs low.
Purolator Boss

fram endurance. same filter as the royal purple and amsoil. unless you can find an old stock titanium at AAP. take a flash light and look down the center tube. you’ll know it it’s an OG if you see the wire/pink media.

That's common knowledge. It's generally known as "wire backing" here on BITOG isn't it? Or do we need to separate it & call it "Nylon mesh" now?
Not common enough apparently. 😄 Wire and polymer are two different materials. Wire being more stout of course.

Call it "reinforced" media. Or call it "wire backed" when it's actually wire, or call it "polymer mesh backed" when it's actually polymer. ;)

Back