Fram Ultra restict flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I went to the redline and it peaked at 74 and did not rise for another 4500 rpm. The oil is fairly new just changed a month ago.

I wonder if the Ceratec clogged up the filter? That is something that was just done too since last oil change.

Originally Posted By: MParr
SHOZ
Checking some of the Genesis Coupe forums, most owners are running K&N HP1004 oil filters.

I have one of those on my 2.4 Kia right now. 0 degree F starts this winter, sometimes less. No chain rattle. I really like the ability of a K&N oil filter to flow. If I don't use a H/K 504 I use a K&N.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Yes I went to the redline and it peaked at 74 and did not rise for another 4500 rpm. The oil is fairly new just changed a month ago.

I wonder if the Ceratec clogged up the filter? That is something that was just done too since last oil change.

According to the PI Sheet, the Ceratec particle size is < 0.5 microns. I am not certain what the Fram Ultra’s efficiency is at 0.5 microns. I would avoid it until more info can be gathered.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
According to the PI Sheet, the Ceratec particle size is < 0.5 microns. I am not certain what the Fram Ultra’s efficiency is at 0.5 microns.

0.5 microns will flow through any filter, even bypass filters.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: WellOiled
According to the PI Sheet, the Ceratec particle size is < 0.5 microns. I am not certain what the Fram Ultra’s efficiency is at 0.5 microns.

0.5 microns will flow through any filter, even bypass filters.

What if the Ceratec agglomerates into a larger particle the Ultra can catch?

OK, if the oil peaked at 74PSI at 3,000 and stayed the same up to redline, it's the pump by-pass opening. That is controlling maximum pressure. The filter is irrelevant ...

It could have been that you had a slight restriction in the oil pump by-pass circuit and you saw 80 PSI due to that .. The restriction has been dislodged and now the pump by-pass circuit is flowing a bit more freely, so you only see 74 PSI. But a flat pressure over an RPM spread is almost always pump by-pass opening ...

OR, your sender could be off due to the cold. 5*F will do a lot of things to electronics (I'm assuming this is not s straight mechanical gauge).

If the boss for the filter base has been milled flat, as long as the base gasket fits on the flat, it's good. Exact sizing to OEM is not important. If the gasket must fit into a recessed area, that's another issue ...

Last edited:
SHOZ
My suggestion is to get the old filter off and replace it. Use whatever you like. Just a reminder, your Genesis isn’t a granny cruiser Buick. It’s a sports car.

You mean like a GN is not a cruiser ...
laugh.gif

On my Genesis Coupe 2L turbo I am using Mobil 1 0w40 and a Fram XG3593A filter. That filter is just a bit bigger than the Fram XG9688 which is the recommended filter. I have about 12k miles on the filter, second oil change for it.

I don't usually drive the car in the extreme cold but did last night at 5F. The oil pressure peaked at 74psi at around 3000 rpm and would not go higher. This is cold or hot (180F) oil.

In the past I have seen upper 80's usually at redline, 7500 rpm.

I was surprised that at 3k rpm and cold oil it peaked so low. I'm guessing the oil pump is seeing higher pressure and bypassing?

Realize everyone is saying not the filter, but it could be interesting if you changed out the filter to an OEM (or something other than Ultra) and see if the problem persists.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
OK, if the oil peaked at 74PSI at 3,000 and stayed the same up to redline, it's the pump by-pass opening. That is controlling maximum pressure. The filter is irrelevant ...

It could have been that you had a slight restriction in the oil pump by-pass circuit and you saw 80 PSI due to that .. The restriction has been dislodged and now the pump by-pass circuit is flowing a bit more freely, so you only see 74 PSI. But a flat pressure over an RPM spread is almost always pump by-pass opening ...

OR, your sender could be off due to the cold. 5*F will do a lot of things to electronics (I'm assuming this is not s straight mechanical gauge).

If the boss for the filter base has been milled flat, as long as the base gasket fits on the flat, it's good. Exact sizing to OEM is not important. If the gasket must fit into a recessed area, that's another issue ...

What BrocLuno says makes a lot of sense.

It could be the sender but it usually fail by reading high.

The last filter I took off was a Fram XG9688 and it was on two oil changes around 10k miles total. I cut it open and it looked great.

Just me but, I don’t believe in running an oil filter through two changes. Oil filters are relatively cheap. A FRAM Ultra is something like $10.00 at Walmart. An OE filter is around $8.00 at the dealer. A NAPA Gold 1334 is about $7.00. The requirements for normal service is 4,800 miles or 6 months. You said that you recently changed the oil. It’s worth a try to change out the filter and top it off.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

When the oil pump is in pressure relief the filter's flow resistance certainly is relavent.

When the pressure sensor is located after the filter the only time you can see a flow restriction difference in the filter is when the pump is in pressure relief.

Only way to prove the filter is getting loaded up causing more delta-p (and decreasing oil pressure at redline) would be to just swap out the filter with a new same exact one, then go run the engine near redline again with the oil at the same temperature to see if the max oil pressure has increased.

If that test doesn't show an increase in redline oil pressure then something else is going on, like the cold temps on the sensor output itself as you've mentioned.

More likely possibility? Shear. Your oil isn't going to make as much pressure (resistance to flow) if it's been knocked down a grade or more.

You say cold weather. I wonder if FD isn't knocking your oil down.

Perhaps cold weather is making your oil pump bypass (pump bypass. Not filter bypass) a little more conservative?

Lot could be going on here.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The flow stays the same unless the oil pump relief valve opens, or the oil pump is worn. This should be a class on here. Lower oil pressure, all else being equal, oil, temp, etc, means parts clearances in the galleries beyond the oil sender are wider. Higher oil pressure, more restriction. Lower oil pressure, less restriction. At the sender. It took me a while reading here to understand this. I still am working on it. ZeeOughtSix does a better job of explaining it.

Your explination is very good and spot on.
grin2.gif

That tsb is the same as what the owners manual says.

The viscosity you've chosen is immaterial, given what's stated in the TSB. You're well within the range of viscosities expected to be seen.

The oil only has a month on it, less than a 1000 miles.

I'll change the filter for a XG9688 before I take it out again later when the snow is all gone.

I'm thinking it is clogged up with the Ceratrec which I added 150ml about a 100 miles ago. Just a guess. I have the old XG9688 from last year cut open and I can compare the filter media under a microscope camera I have.

the hyundai sonata/kia optima 2.4 gdi engines are supposedly picky when it comes to filters-----ive heard people running all sorts of filters without problems but also heard people having noises at startup or when cold......i have only run the factory filter which is about $6 from the dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back