Virgin C&P Comparison Between: Mobil 1 M1-206a, Fram Force FF3675, Fram Drive FD3675, Microguard Select MSL51522 and STP XL S3675XL

If it doesn't even have a bypass valve, then how can you say you think it has too small of a bypass valve? Just trying to understand why it was even mentioned if the filter doesn't have a bypass valve. The filter bypass valve built into the filter mount on GM engines is pretty small too.
i am not saying its too small. i’m saying it shouldn’t be there. re read the post. “not in spec for this size”

i am not saying its too small. i’m saying it shouldn’t be there. re read the post. “not in spec for this size”

In post 8 you said: "i did find it interesting that the microguard has a bypass that is not in spec for this size." Which was the very first time you even mentioned a bypass valve in the whole thread.

When I see "has a bypass" that means has a bypass, not that it doesn't have a bypass valve - literally just reading the words, so wasn't following. ;)

Ok, got ya now ... it has a bypass valve when it shouldn't, seems like a more clear way to say it from that start. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it because the built-in bypass valve on GM engines is set pretty low, like around 10-12 PSI and will open way before the bypass valve on the filter. I highly doubt that filter has bypass valve setting that low.

Last edited:
built-in bypass valve on GM engines is set pretty low, like around 10-12 PSI
Here’s something I’ve always wondered. Whats that translate to? Say you’re hot dogging your truck/car a little… running it up to 5-5,500RPM. Oil pressure climbs to 60-65-70 PSI.

Is that bypass opening?

Here’s something I’ve always wondered. Whats that translate to? Say you’re hot dogging your truck/car a little… running it up to 5-5,500RPM. Oil pressure climbs to 60-65-70 PSI.

Is that bypass opening?
i really depends on the dp through the filter. that 12psi is only dependent if the pressure drop through the filter meets or exceeds 12psi.

^^^ To add, keep the hot dogging RPM down until the oil is fully warmed-up and has thinned down. Thinner oil creates less dP at the same flow rate (ie, same RPM).

Think of the guys at the Friday night drag races on a cold night. Those engines are usually relatively cold when they roll-up to the burn-out box - oil isn't at full temp. They do a big burn-out, stage and redline the engine down the strip. Certainly some filter bypassing going in that case.

^^^ To add, keep the hot dogging RPM down until the oil is fully warmed-up and has thinned down. Thinner oil creates less dP at the same flow rate (ie, same RPM).

Think of the guys at the Friday night drag races on a cold night. Those engines are usually relatively cold when they roll-up to the burn-out box - oil isn't at full temp. They do a big burn-out, stage and redline the engine down the strip. Certainly some filter bypassing going in that case.

Exactly right Zee…

Nascar would have the drivers take 4-6 laps of warm up before stating a race if the ambient temperature was rather cool or cold. And those laps were after they were sitting on pit road for 4-5 minutes losing and trying to warm the motor up.

For the exact reasons you state here.

There was a Richmond race in 1990 in February where it was literally 35 degrees at the start of the race. They ran 4 or 5 laps around the track to get everything up to temp before throwing the green flag.

Another race at North Wilkesboro in March 1987 they had to do the same thing. Snow was on the local hill tops right near the race track that day. Interestingly that race weekend in North Wilkesboro there had been a major snowstorm in the mountains of NC, TN… Some places saw 40 plus inches of snow. And west of the Appalachian Mountains even the valleys saw 12-24 inches of snow.

Not gonna lie, your C+Ps are influencing my thoughts on what filters to get. Those MSL51522s are gorgeous. Thanks again.

Not gonna lie, your C+Ps are influencing my thoughts on what filters to get. Those MSL51522s are gorgeous. Thanks again.
if you can get your advance auto rep to let you look at the filter before you buy, it’s the same filter as the microguard if it has a silicone gasket. check my carquest premium 84502 C&P today.

******UPDATE******

filter media measurements
height was taken at the crimp, OD was taken 180° off of the crimp, ID was either if the center tube allowed or guestamating based on the end cap if “~” and pleat depth was taken one pleat off of the seam.

fram drive : 3.440” tall, 2.567” OD, 1.5435” ID and 2.320” pleat depth

fram force: 2.9365” tall, 2.6110 OD, 1.4205” ID and 0.2960” pleat depth.

microgard select: 3.1345” tall, 2.6345” OD, ~1.6305” ID and 0.2685” pleat depth.

STP XL: 2.3815” tall, 2.6345” OD, ~1.3140” ID and 0.3565” pleat delth

Mobil 1: 2.7430” tall, 2.6590” OD, ~1.6480” ID and 0.3015” pleat depth.

Last edited:
Thanks for the C&P post OP! Microgard for the win! I've been using and recommending the Microgard for awhile now. This thread just confirmed how good they really are. :)

Dang ya made me do it.

They’re a nice product. I gotta look thru here for other posts and re-read about the STP XL filters as I remember them being about the same with the peel-off cellophane covering the filter. Which is a nice touch.

IMG_3486.jpeg

But it was first time I’ve ever been in an Orielly Auto Parts in my life as they’re new to the Buffalo NY/Western NY Area.

Back