Fram Endurance or OE Toyota for HPL?

I’m gonna run HPL on the Prius and maybe extend my OCI to 7-10K. Should I run a Fram Endurance FE4967, or will the OE Toyota Denso filter be fine for that run?

Toyota filters should be able to run the specified 10K OCI. Is that the OCI the OM calls out? Only thing you might consider is any possible debris cleaning by the HPL oil. In that case, might be worth using the Fram Endurance to be safe for unknowns.

Toyota filters should be able to run the specified 10K OCI. Is that the OCI the OM calls out? Only thing you might consider is any possible debris cleaning by the HPL oil. In that case, might be worth using the Fram Endurance to be safe for unknowns.
OE calls out 5K OCIs. I did a run of VPBR, HPL EC and a piston soak. The current fill(Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40) is pretty darn dark.

My reasoning for the FE is better media. The Japanese OEs, however don’t consider the oil filter to be important.

OE calls out 5K OCIs. I did a run of VPBR, HPL EC and a piston soak. The current fill(Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40) is pretty darn dark.

My reasoning for the FE is better media. The Japanese OEs, however don’t consider the oil filter to be important.
If the OM calls out 5K oil/filter changes, then get a better filter if going longer oil/filter changes. The FE might be overkill, but it's going to handle anything without question.

FE is my vote. If your oil is cleaning up the engine then you want a good net to catch most of the debris while keeping the ODI to a minimum. As you stated some japanese have given poor filtering efficiencies. My view on that is the Japanese use more local type driving than open roads we get in the USA & have more wear as a result. It's an island after all right. 😀 All those low mileage engines being resold in the US from over there are city miles not OTR miles. lol

I’m gonna run HPL on the Prius and maybe extend my OCI to 7-10K. Should I run a Fram Endurance FE4967, or will the OE Toyota Denso filter be fine for that run?
Yes, I would upgrade the filter if you decide extend the interval beyond what is recommended by the manufacturer.

For the first 10k mile FCI, I'd use the FE and then cut it open and see how much debris (if any) is present.
Then you can make a determination as to what would be necessary after that.
It's likely that you could then "step down" to a TG for subsequent 10k mile FCIs.

Toyota usually specs 5k with conventional and 10k with synthetic using THE SAME FILTER.

You’ll be fine with the OEM.

Back