Found this interview interesting - Piston Rings

any particular section/statement we are looking for?
Although there are a lot of interesting thought provoking topics throughout the interview. 40:30 to 42:00 has captured my attention the most, because he said that oil consumption is going to be higher using higher viscosity. Just 90 seconds not 45 minutes. What do you think?

Last edited:
What I heard from that segment was:
Cylinder wall finish, oil control ring tension (and design), and lube oil viscosity need to be matched as a system in order to minimize oil consumption.

My first thought question was:
Viscosity as measured how? The ring-cylinder interface is about the highest-shear area in most auto engines. Does that mean something other than kinematic viscosity is the most relevant viscosity parameter in the above system?

What I heard from that segment was:
Cylinder wall finish, oil control ring tension (and design), and lube oil viscosity need to be matched as a system in order to minimize oil consumption.

My first thought question was:
Viscosity as measured how? The ring-cylinder interface is about the highest-shear area in most auto engines. Does that mean something other than kinematic viscosity is the most relevant viscosity parameter in the above system?
HT/HS might be more relevant in high temperature around the piston rings. He might be referring to this viscosity?

Back