Consensus: Alignment before or after getting new tires?

I feel the same about tire rotations. And costco does this. If all 4 tires are the same for wear by tread depth, what is the purpose of changing their positions?

They almost never are. Even if you have a *perfect* alignment, and the center tread depth is the same, front wheels tend to wear out the edge of the tread more... unless you only drive in a straight line.

If my old tires were wearing evenly, I don't get an alignment done, but with new tires I do check for even wear often, to double check that I still don't need an alignment.

They almost never are. Even if you have a *perfect* alignment, and the center tread depth is the same, front wheels tend to wear out the edge of the tread more... unless you only drive in a straight line.

If my old tires were wearing evenly, I don't get an alignment done, but with new tires I do check for even wear often, to double check that I still don't need an alignment.

I’m surprised more people don’t concur with this notion… the front wheels are constantly taking the heavier dive of weight transfer when braking and the constant wear when taking turns.

Tire rotations are necessary. The notion that they are needed every oil change and-or every 7,500 miles isn’t necessary. Warped rotors and stretched lug studs aren’t appealing to me. Again just my opinion.

Reactions: hrv
Tire rotations are necessary. The notion that they are needed every oil change and-or every 7,500 miles isn’t necessary. Warped rotors and stretched lug studs aren’t appealing to me. Again just my opinion.

Can you explain a bit more about how tire rotations are stretching lug studs and warping rotors? Genuinely asking..

I would know there was a problem long before that, and it won't cost $5,000 to repair.
I'm talking about the clueless person who knows nothing about cars and is going to pay way too much to get it fixed. They should try to get the car aligned before buying new tires.

Reactions: hrv
Do you not do your own maintenance? I ask because I do my own work and use impacts to loosen and snug down nuts and bolts but always use a torque wrench (where I can fit one)..
Yes I do my own maintenance. You are protecting your vehicle. We are the exception, a dying breed. These issues occur because 17 year old high school dropouts working in a tire store is turned loose with an impact wrench.

Worn out ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings and things of that nature. When those parts are sloppy, there's no way to hold an alignment.
A car doesn’t “hold” an alignment.

There may be slip and play in the suspension but that doesn’t change the geometry when the car is stationary on the alignment machine.

Every car goes through geometry changes under cornering

That’s why race cars are rosejointed or have polybushes instead of rubber.

I'm talking about the clueless person who knows nothing about cars and is going to pay way too much to get it fixed. They should try to get the car aligned before buying new tires.

I think you may be talking about yourself

It wouldn’t cost $5000 to rebuild the suspension on a nearly new 7 Series.

And that would included every part other than the dampers

And I have never had to replace dampers on a car due to wear, only when fitting uprated parts to improve handling.

I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on cars and not replaced more than a couple of bushes and the odd lower front arm.

Back