Brake job coming up, what do I need?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
The brakes on the Camry are getting close to needing replacement, although I do have some time based on the last inspection about 6-mos back. I'm starting to look into my options, but I don't know what I'll need besides rotors and pads. The last time I did any brakes was around 1988-89 and they were on two much newer cars than the Camry. The only other brakes I've done were in 1972 when I slapped a set of front pads on my Mazda.

Should I consider new calipers and pistons? AFAIK, they're fine now, but do they get replaced as preventative maintenance, and doing it "while you're in there?" Is there some sort of maintenance to be done on the calipers and pistons? I'd just as soon not spend the $$, but I've no concern about doing so if it's something to be done.

What else should be looked at or replaced? What about the parking brake? Does it get adjusted or need maintenance? And brake fluid? Dot 3 or Dot 4? Is all brake fluid pretty much the same? Should the brake hoses be replaced?

The bottom line is this: I'm OK doing anything that has to or should be done ... I don't want to skimp or overlook anything ... but I'll be happier if more $$ can stay in my wallet.

Quality pads (they will have new hardware) and rotors. Clean everything with brake cleaner and Lube correctly and then fresh brake fluid. That should be all you need.

I have used silicone grease on Toyota/Lexus caliper slide pins for decades with zero problems. I usually clean and lube every 2-3 years, at least. Toyota lithium soap grease sucks.

Fascinating. I wonder if Toyota uses silicone rubber (eg FKM) for those bushings? That's the only rubber that could swell from silicone grease as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

Just goes to show that every application can be unique and the OEMs know more than us mere mortals. Sometimes it's safer to simply clean and reinstall with no grease. That's what the BMW FSM calls for at least.

The brakes on the Camry are getting close to needing replacement, although I do have some time based on the last inspection about 6-mos back. I'm starting to look into my options, but I don't know what I'll need besides rotors and pads. The last time I did any brakes was around 1988-89 and they were on two much newer cars than the Camry. The only other brakes I've done were in 1972 when I slapped a set of front pads on my Mazda.

Should I consider new calipers and pistons? AFAIK, they're fine now, but do they get replaced as preventative maintenance, and doing it "while you're in there?" Is there some sort of maintenance to be done on the calipers and pistons? I'd just as soon not spend the $$, but I've no concern about doing so if it's something to be done.

What else should be looked at or replaced? What about the parking brake? Does it get adjusted or need maintenance? And brake fluid? Dot 3 or Dot 4? Is all brake fluid pretty much the same? Should the brake hoses be replaced?

The bottom line is this: I'm OK doing anything that has to or should be done ... I don't want to skimp or overlook anything ... but I'll be happier if more $$ can stay in my wallet.
I just did my 09 Camry with 341,000 miles. I only needed Bosch pads, which came with the hardware needed. I also bought grease for the caliper pins, which I pulled out, cleaned, and then reinstalled.

It was a very simple job. I use a large C-clamp and an old pad to push the caliper piston back in.

Back