Ford uses Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call my local Ford dealer to inquire about Motorcraft prices for filter and oil just out of curiosity for my new to me F150.

Parts guy tells me the price for a MC filter and MC 5W20 Semi-Syn oil. He then says for Full Syn they use Mobil 1. I thought this was pretty interesting as MC has a Full Syn oil and shouldn't a Ford dealer be using it lol

Of other note the Semi-Syn price was really good at under 5 bucks Canadian per L

I already have two jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 ready for the next OC....now need to pick a filter.

Last edited:
here in the states, dealers get bulk oil from whomever local supplier they like (ie cheapest)- i'd guess that's how your's has M1 available. i'm sure he'll get you the ford full syn stuff if you like, but not at the M1 discount they get from the local supplier

M1 has market appeal so they can charge their outlandish up charge for synthetic. Even Then they still don't make any money on oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
I already have two jugs of Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 ready for the next OC....now need to pick a filter.

Get a Napa gold or Fram Ultra (when they are on sale at Canadian tire) and use the oil filter for two OCI's.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
M1 has market appeal so they can charge their outlandish up charge for synthetic. Even Then they still don't make any money on oil changes.

This IMO. People who will pay a dealer for a full syn oil change are probably not oil nerds, but I can guarantee you they have all heard of Mobil 1.

Sure they do.....But only as a loss leader for other work they upsell.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Parts guy tells me the price for a MC filter and MC 5W20 Semi-Syn oil. He then says for Full Syn they use Mobil 1. I thought this was pretty interesting as MC has a Full Syn oil and shouldn't a Ford dealer be using it lol

Canadian Motorcraft stuff should be from Imperial Oil anyhow, aside from the 5w-50 stuff. Some Ford dealers weren't carrying synthetic anyhow over the past number of years. It would probably make more sense for them to just use Mobil Super 1000 as service fill and be done with it, but I can't see Ford being very willing to cut buck use of the Motorcraft name.

The only Ford I know of that was supposed to get Mobil 1 was the 2000 Cobra R, said it right on the radiator shield. Dealers will use Mobil 1 because customers recognize the name, there is no requirement that they use Motorcraft as long as the fluids they use meet the specifications.

Dealership does not equal manufacturer. They are private businesses and use whatever oil they care to pay for. So usually the cheapest that meets specs.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
Dealership does not equal manufacturer. They are private businesses and use whatever oil they care to pay for. So usually the cheapest that meets specs.

Some manufactures do the same. One year they use one oil when they have good deal with that supplier, next year they may use another.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Justin251

Some manufactures do the same. One year they use one oil when they have good deal with that supplier, next year they may use another.

Yep. Chrysler used to use one manufacturer for their quart containers and another manufacturer for their bulk oil, even though the oil has the same specs. So you could use a quart of Chrysler oil from a quart container and then add Chrysler bulk oil and the oil was from two different manufacturers, even though it was the same weight. This was before they went bankrupt, so I don't know who their supplier is now.

I'm also in Ontario and our local Ford dealer has a relationship with Mobil and so they promote the Mobil 1 product line. I think it is a good move due to the brand identity, as others noted, Mobil 1 is the most recognized name in synthetics.

"........Even Then they still don't make any money on oil changes.

That's the truth. My local Ford dealer is charging $9.95 for an oil & filter change. He's using Motorcraft semi-synthetic and the spec. motorcraft oil filter.

I know they just want to get you in the door so they can try to upsell some other services, but still, that's pretty low.

Z

The local Honda dealer I went there few years ago to have free oil change for my S2000(with coupon), they have M1 0W20 in quart bottle but no HGMO in quart bottle. The part manager said most people asked for M1 when they went in to buy oil and filter. Other Honda dealers may have something else.

Toyota dealer in Saskatoon had no tgmo whatsoever when I checked a couple years ago when the craze hit. They only stock quarts and only Mobil 1.
This was a couple years ago so things may have changed since then however I thought it was interesting that this dealer wouldn't stock something the own put a lot of r and d into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back