What kind of oil do you use in your Ford 3.5 N.A. engine..

If you were above - 35 why would the 0w 20 be thicker than 5W30 I can understand it being equal to 5W-20??
I’m assuming you meant 5W-20, not 5W-30. If you really meant 5W-30 then I don’t know what you’re asking. One is a 20-grade and one is a 30-grade.

It’s because the winter rating isn’t directly connected to the operational viscosity, especially within the same grade. It is only meaningful at very low temperatures. Especially within a grade the base stock composition can have a lot to do with it.

It’s a common misconception you have.

at one point we had 3 of them in the driveway, now just 1.
Mom's 2009 Taurus... first 90k mi, all Ford Dealer changes, now, where ever we can find a deal...VIOC with a groupon, Walmart, indie we go to if it needs other work..
I used to have an 09 Sable, ran what ever 5w20 Syn i could get on sale... mostly store brand, for 6 mos/5k mi intervals. eventually i switched it to 0w20...
and for a while Dad had a 2012 Explorer...dealer only service.

0W-20 THRU 5W-40

We tore down one 3.7L and on 3.5L and both had near zero wear on the timing components using bulk drum 5w-20 that the state buys on contact. It can be any brand. Frankly these engine had TONS of idle time and 120 thru 150k miles. Neither had oil consumption issues and leaked coolant externally which was caught in time before they let loose.

I only wish they used this design and made it into a V8.

my only issue with them is the packaging driven decision to put the waterpump internal (down in the valley) so they could fit it in any engine bay the old 3L Duratech fit in. any time after 90 k mi it's a bit of a ticking timebomb... you have to be vigilant and watch for coolant dribbles/seepage from the weep hole. if you miss that, and the pump fully lunches, it dumps the coolant right into the oil pan....new engine time!

my only issue with them is the packaging driven decision to put the waterpump internal (down in the valley) so they could fit it in any engine bay the old 3L Duratech fit in. any time after 90 k mi it's a but of a ticking timebomb... you have to be vigilant and watch for coolant dribbles/seepage from the weep hole. if you miss that, and the pump fully lunches, it dumps the coolant right into the oil pan....new engine time!
Either that or engine flush time, and prayers.. 🤣🤣

Back