Flashlights - what's worth purchasing?

I have like 3 of these. We gave away a few as gifts also. They run on double AA so you can keep lots of cheap batteries handy for quick swapping and they really bright and can hang underneath the hood with the magnetic end. Made of metal, very sold and durable. No issues so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231223-093834.jpg
    Screenshot_20231223-093834.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 11
I like rechargeable headlamps. The only problem is when the battery gets low they can turn off with no warning, instead of just getting really dim

I like rechargeable headlamps. The only problem is when the battery gets low they can turn off with no warning, instead of just getting really dim
That may depend on whether they use "Protected" 18650 (or similar) cells or not. The protection prevents over discharge with regard to current and/or low voltage. Emergency workers often choose unprotected, rechargeable flashlights, as it's pretty obvious when the battery is going dead, but if it's needed, they don't shut off.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
It'll be used around home, campgrounds, etc.

While I love li-ion powered flashlights, it's good to also have something that takes regular AA/C/D batteries, just in case.

For camping, a lantern is also useful. And so is a headlamp.

I have more flashlights/lanterns/headlamps than I know what to do with, and that's not even all of them...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

As an all-rounder, Convoy S2+ XP-L HI is probably my favorite - good output, and nice beam pattern with decent amount of spill and throw, alas, that requires an 18650 li-ion cell.

For a basic single AA light, the Ultratac A1 is great, IMO. 200 lumen output from an AA nimh cell, and nicely spaced out L-M-H modes, and no silly blinky modes.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
I just saw that. What's the state of the collection at the end of 2023? I do have that grey LED lantern you have but mine is bright orange.

A superb choice for a compact all purpose flashlight is the Olight Seeker 4 or Seeker 4 pro. Both use a single 21700 (Tesla model 3 style battery cell)

The 4 is a single 3100 lumen LED with a smooth reflector. Superb beam and spill. USB-C charge port
The 4 pro is a 4 LED configuration with 4600 Lumens. Magnetic charge port. Wider beam, but so stupidly bright that it will reach out down the road.
They are both superb, high quality, long run time, general purpose lights. Either will do.

When on sale, about $70.

1695125129_1786358.jpg

olight_seeker_4_red_seeker_4_usb_c_rechargeable_1702036549_1799628.jpg

If you want a conventional LED, "3D" cell flashlight, the Maglite ML300L provides 625 lumens. While that seems shy of the Chinese competition, it's a more honest rating. Very good conventional flashlight, adjustable beam. Makes a good spotlight. Available for about $45 if you look.

Product_ML300L_3D_3-4_red_NTOA_1400x.png

If you want a conventional LED, "3D" cell flashlight, the Maglite ML300L provides 625 lumens. While that seems shy of the Chinese competition, it's a more honest rating. Very good conventional flashlight, adjustable beam. Makes a good spotlight. Available for about $45 if you look.

Also good for beating racoons and stray dogs and other pesky animals if you're out for a walk

Newer LED and battery technologies have left Maglite behind, but Maglites have a certain desirable quality to them that is hard to quantify.

I have a few cheap LED flashlights that are brighter, have better beam patterns and last longer than my Maglites but my Maglites are definitely nicer things.

I've got one of those. Keep it in my truck. U-Line gave it to me as a freebie right after they came out. It's a big heavy old school Mag but the LED really throws quite well and 3 D batteries in the chamber give it more than enough heft to knock an idiot out.

Newer LED and battery technologies have left Maglite behind, but Maglites have a certain desirable quality to them that is hard to quantify.
The Maglite 3D with 625 lumens will run on high for 16 hours without getting hot. It's an adequate blend of output, throw and battery life.

Clearly, there are far more capable options. But for $45, the 3D cell ML300LX Maglite is a good defensive choice (vehicle or walking light) and is not likely to get easily lost. The longer 4D version makes 1002 lumens.

The ML300"L" has a standard Maglite grip. The "LX" version has a Matte finish, with a machined (instead of knurled) grip. I have one of each.

ML300LX_3D_FG_3QTR_1220_1800x1800.png

I converted my old 2D and 4D maglights to LED, and added glass lenses. The lights still not great but I have had them for 20 years. I only load them during hurricane season anymore.

I have 3 lights from Sorirn. All use 18650 batteries. Had the oldest for almost 2 years and its still working good. Like $30 from Bezos.

When things go bump in the night I reach for the 4 D cell Maglite. Can't deliver an enthusiastic beating with a Streamlight. It's a better club than flashlight.

The only problem is when the battery gets low they can turn off with no warning, instead of just getting really dim

That's a feature, not a bug.

Apply the same principle to your vehicles -- would you want one where engine performance drops as the fuel level diminishes? Probably not.

But if that is still a desired trait, a lot of the budget LED flashlights lack regulated drivers, so output does decrease as the cell is depleted, albeit over a more gradual decline that might not be noticeable to some eyes. Li cells can sustain permanent damage if overdischarged, so protective measures in the driver or the cell step in to try to mitigate that risk.

They may also have charge indicators, or firmware that can blink out voltage level to the tenth.

In any task, it's incumbent upon the user to understand the operation and limits of the the tools they use, and be prepared to work within those constraints.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Apply the same principle to your vehicles -- would you want one where engine performance drops as the fuel level diminishes? Probably not.

But if that is still a desired trait, a lot of the budget LED flashlights lack regulated drivers, so output does decrease as the cell is depleted, albeit over a more gradual decline that might not be noticeable to some eyes. Li cells can sustain permanent damage if overdischarged, so protective measures in the driver or the cell step in to try to mitigate that risk.

They may also have charge indicators, or firmware that can blink out voltage level to the tenth.

In any task, it's incumbent upon the user to understand the operation and limits of the the tools they use, and be prepared to work within those constraints.
Im fine with it turning off when it runs out of battery, but I'd like some warning instead of being in the middle of something and it suddenly shutting off. Many headlamps flicker a couple times before they shut off, but some don't.

And the little green light on top of the headlamp that turns red eventually isn't always helpful, because I don't take the headlamp off every 30 minutes to check the battery level.

I just picked up a very well made Convoy 4x18 (4ea, 18650 battery in the tube) with the SBT90.2 5400Lumen LED. I got it on Amazon, but one can save money ordering direct from the Convoy store on Alibaba. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1100591265

For those who don't know, Convoy lights are the best deal going. High quality, bright, inexpensive. The store is a bit confusing to navigate. Search the store for Titanium for a very cool "AA" Ti flashlight. Might have to get one...

Impressive compact spotlight. About 4000 lumens out the front. Nice tight spot beam with plenty of spill light to make it useful. It's about as bright down the road as my Jaguar F-Type HID headlights on high beam. Which is to say, pretty epic.

61r44PoicVS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Back