What 1.5 million buys in Maryland Heights, MO- interesting

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
@Wrenchturner44 - if you buy this, I will help with the rehab.

Interesting home. Not a match for me for many, many reasons- especially that I want a ranch at my age, but a fascinating home none the less. I have no idea what Maryland Heights, MO is property value wise, but I suspect this home is worth about what the lot is worth (9.5 acres), or maybe a even less for the demo of the home. I suspect this house is going to sit at 1.5 million unless someone with very deep pockets has some wired connection to the area.

Very interesting property, looks like a former American Horror Story movie set or wouldnt be misplaced in the Civil war era. I like all the traditional wood.

Reactions: GON
I don't live too far away from there. My wife's Maid of Honor when we got married lived on Midland Ave. in Maryland Heights MO. They bought an old run down farm house there in 1985 for $60K and rehabbed & expanded it. There is a 7-11 store just down the block and a Quick-Trip just around the corner. Our friends (Don & Lorraine) discussed their property (many years ago) with the City of Maryland Heights Zoning commission; Don told me they COULD have it rezoned as commercial, and that potential is also listed on Zillow. There is an Attorney's office as a neighbor on one side and a Dentist office on their other side. I told my friend Don he could NOT reduce his property value if he bulldozed the house, and he MIGHT actually INCREASE the property value. His real estate COULD become a McDonald's...This property you have posted is nearby and it's probably the same situation. Location, location, location...

A white elephant. Big, ungainly, expensive to feed. The landscaping is pitiful. There are some nice features and lots of space, but the cost of upkeep and the cost to make everything in the property nice? crazy...It should be priced at about $450,000.

Interesting that Zillow doesn't tell you what it sold for in 2010...

Hard pass.

Considering it has been for sale for over 4 years now...

Unfortunately, the house is situated poorly on the lot. Nearly 10 acres of ground, but the house is near both of the streets.

There's a Menards's that is 10 minutes away, the new owner will be needing it...LOL. $1.5 million is only the beginning.

I wonder how much it would cost to heat and cool that home.
My very limited experience with big old homes made of stone/brick/ masonry is they stay reasonably cool during the summer months, but are bone chilling cold during the winter and other seasons...

Very neat old place! At one time, that was a true showcase and someone's pride and joy.

I agree with Astro14 though, hard pass.

It's only worth the land value - unless you want to burn money on restoration.

And unless it has some really cool history (that is currently PC), it's not worth it.

@GON, LOL, I am rolling on the floor. I am trying to go the other direction and talk my wife into downsizing. If it were up to me I would be there already living in something between 1700 - 1800 sq ft. with no grass to cut or any exterior maintenance to do. Big houses are like yachts, you need a staff to care for them and constantly perform maintenance.

I am getting to the age whereby I want to vacate the midwest after Thanksgiving and not come back until mid May. If I had that kind of money to spend on an abode it would have a view of Tidy bowl colored ocean waters, and sugar colored sand and the trade winds would be blowing all of the time.

• Haha
@GON, LOL, I am rolling on the floor. I am trying to go the other direction and talk my wife into downsizing. If it were up to me I would be there already living in something between 1700 - 1800 sq ft. with no grass to cut or any exterior maintenance to do. Big houses are like yachts, you need a staff to care for them and constantly perform maintenance.

I am getting to the age whereby I want to vacate the midwest after Thanksgiving and not come back until mid May. If I had that kind of money to spend on an abode it would have a view of Tidy bowl colored ocean waters, and sugar colored sand and the trade winds would be blowing all of the time.
WT, I think after two weeks you would be bored with a tropical drink every evening, and get frustrated with sand in your shoes......

Buy this house, I will do the PEX A plumbing for you, and the electric. Give it a second look, take your Wife to tour the house, and report back please......

Is the back part (with the flat roof) an addition? I'm guessing that it was added later to more easily include a "modern" kitchen and bathrooms. Unfortunately, that huge addition is what makes the house really unwieldly at this point.

Also, not a single picture of the dungeon.... I mean the "basement".

Is the back part (with the flat roof) an addition? I'm guessing that it was added later to more easily include a "modern" kitchen and bathrooms. Unfortunately, that huge addition is what makes the house really unwieldly at this point.

Also, not a single picture of the dungeon.... I mean the "basement".
Yes, it sure looks like an addition......

$1.4M for land
$100K for structure
I’m not sure how much 10 acres of land in a low rated school district of Missouri is worth.
Obviously not much they have been trying to sell the property for four years now at the same price.

I’m sure it will cost way over $100,000 to demolish that house and remove the debris

If it was unchanged since 1905 it might be an interesting arts and crafts house to restore, but looks like a few not well thought out reno's have occured since then, and little maintenance... The cheap pine panelling on the bar is a clue to at least one of the previous owners doing things the inexpensive way, which may not be good in a place like that. Would be interesting to know the full history of it, but someone has to have some big plans to make it worth 1.5M to them?

Back