Flashlights - what's worth purchasing?

I like to buy American when possible and I recently read that Maglites are still made in USA. That's what I have.
Be careful, many Maglite are just "assembled in USA", if that makes a difference for you. Still securing some US jobs IMO, but not the "knowledge" (do you know how hard it is to have an orange peel reflector made in the US? The knowledge is almost gone).

Want a real made in USA light, with as much as possible USA made components (not possible for many electronic parts sadly, but reflector, switch, rubber boot, etc), and it's probably not going to be the same price.
Yeah, my Modlite stuff isn't especially cheap, but I can run it next to a brake and expect it to survive just fine.

I have the Seeker 2, by Olight. It’s downright amazing. Small, 3 LED’s, 3200 “real” lumens, and a high quality Tesla model 3 style 2170 battery. (Bigger than the 18650‘s that are so common)

I absolutely love it. It’s bright enough when on turbo mode, I can stick it out of the car window and it augments my high beams wonderfully. This little flashlight is brighter than all 4 beams on my Jag. 2 of which are HID.

I'm a big fan of Fenix lighting as well. I have a few of the headlamps that are bombproof. One of them is almost 4 years old of every night use at work. They are a huge provider for law enforcement and military as well.

As mentioned here there are flashlight snobs and guys REALLY get into this. There's entire forums dedicated to nothing but.... although hey we're on a forum about motor oil (shrug)

I hate letter batts and button cells and am a Milwaukee cordless junkie....I run the M12 flashlight. I've seen afficionados say it's too big, lumen per $ is bad, the body is constructed of the wrong alloy, and more nit-picking I can't even remember.

For me, I love them. They're bright enough for what OP requests (home and campground), have a beam that can be focused spot to flood, and I've got two dozen M12 batteries from 1.5 to 6.0ah kicking around. Furthermore the rechargeable batt is of course NOT integrated so there's ZERO downtime if a battery goes dead - just pop in a new one while others sit on the charger.

I know, I know - I'm a hack, I'm a squid, I'm an idiot. I just don't need to launch a tactical assault with my flashlights -- I just need a good, solid LED flashlight that's rechargeable as I refuse to buy single use batteries (not because I'm a greenie but because they're a nuisance) and I can't stand rechargeable batteries that are integrated into a tool such that the tool is down during charge time (kinda like a Tesla I guess?)

Anyway, I'll stop making sense....carry on with formulas of lumens per dollar etc...
Love my Milwaukee m12
flashlight.

Love my Milwaukee m12
flashlight.

I have one of those, because, why not? Also an M18 one. I already have the tools and batteries. The LED light throws a good beam and works well. For underhood work, I have a Milwaukee light bar, that thing is excellent, and also takes M12.

I did buy one of those UltraTac lights that QP showed, it’s a real nice and handy form factor. I didn’t get the one with the rechargeable battery, but I probably will get another that has it.

HF sent a coupon for a folding LED - Braun branded, for like $26. I had seen it used in some YouTube auto repair videos, and we went to look at it mits. A good unit, and has a replaceable 18650 inside. So if the cell fails the light isn’t done for.... My kid thinks it’s a light saber, so we got one.

Everything else is surefire or mag lite. Honestly I haven’t refilled my D-cell mag lites due to lack of storms, their size, and heavier use on the rechargeable M12/M18 lights. But AA size mag lites are great.

modlite.
great.
maglites are great mod hosts.
i have a few rare ones here i wont do anything to thats not easily reversible but i have several at any given time with upgrades that may cross the line from flashlight to directed energy weapon.
Yeah, my Modlite stuff isn't especially cheap, but I can run it next to a brake and expect it to survive just fine.

Watched this Saturday about rechargeable flashlight on GIZ WIZ during ABC News . Here's his Youtube of the flashlight(s) , .

Last edited:
I bought 3 of the 4 AA cell Stream Light and one of the 3 C cell Stream Light at the local Batteries + many years ago. I gave away 2 of the 4 AA ones (one to my mother, and one to an Uncle in NY who has since passed away). My 3C and 4AA and my mothers 4 AA have all broke at least once over the years. I drop them off at Batteries + and pick them up about 2 weeks later fixed for free. They have a lifetime warranty, and you do not even need to show the sales receipt. Just bring them in and give them your name and phone number so they can call you when it comes back from Stream Light.

Not the greatest flashlights out there and they ain't cheap, but the life time warranty is still good, and I thing it has been somewhere around 25 or 30 years since I bought the first one. I keep the 4 AA in the car, and the 3 C in the house.

Also as someone already posted, with flashlights quantity has a quality of its own. I have several LED flashlights that I have bought with various sales coupons or discounts over the years, and a few that were given to me as gifts.

One thing for certain, when the power goes out I have a collection of flashlights to chose from to light the house and or get a generator running.

modlite.
great.
maglites are great mod hosts.
i have a few rare ones here i wont do anything to thats not easily reversible but i have several at any given time with upgrades that may cross the line from flashlight to directed energy weapon.
If it's not weapon mounted, I've honestly been super happy with my Streamlight HLX. My only complaint is that they seem "battery picky", not liking my unprotected 18650's even though as best I can tell the battery is making full contact where it should.

Anyone have one of these? I am curious as to how well it actually works.

This one is really bright.

Attachments

• 2BCD338A-B2D7-48CD-9D53-72E10F581721.jpeg
    2BCD338A-B2D7-48CD-9D53-72E10F581721.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 10
Purchased 2 rechargeable GIVERARE L.E.D. Tactical falshlights from Amazon at $6.97 each . These are shown in video above .

I have the Seeker 2, by Olight. It’s downright amazing. Small, 3 LED’s, 3200 “real” lumens, and a high quality Tesla model 3 style 2170 battery. (Bigger than the 18650‘s that are so common)

I absolutely love it. It’s bright enough when on turbo mode, I can stick it out of the car window and it augments my high beams wonderfully. This little flashlight is brighter than all 4 beams on my Jag. 2 of which are HID.
Wow! That is saying a lot if it augments your high beams. I will have to look at the Olight Seeker 2.

I got a little Nicron lite before covid, because it had decent lumens and could run off regular AA batteries or a 14500 li ion, with more output. That led me down a path to a couple lights from Sofirn that I alternate carrying everyday. No issues with any of them over about 3 years. This year, I picked up a tiny light for the Mrs. to keep on her keyring from Lumintop, as well as a Wurkkos light with a nice simple UI and an easy to press switch for my Mom (she has Dupreetrends contracture and sometimes struggles with hand dexterity)
I have come to appreciate Li Ion batteries from a good source after some skepticism. Buy a solid brand and treat them reasonably, no issues. I don't feel I can trust regular chemistry batteries much anymore, Duracell used to be my go to, but I've had problems with them leaking in the past few years.

I got this for $22, and it's insane. Too big and too bright (is that a bad thing?) but cheaper than the ones you get on amazon for $30 and are rechargeable. It has a rechargeable battery, and also comes with C batteries. Both.

I actually used it when I dropped a torx bit into the engine bay. My DeWalt can't concentrate/focus the light in such a tight space, when this could.

I think Costco does that thing where online costs more than in store.

Back