Flashlights - what's worth purchasing?

Weapon mounted lights are Surefire for me....

I have been impressed with Streamlight ProTac HL-X. The rechargeable battery stick is easy to recharge (direct plugin into the stick) and replacement sticks are inexpensive.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Weapon mounted lights are Surefire for me....

I have been impressed with Streamlight ProTac HL-X. The rechargeable battery stick is easy to recharge (direct plugin into the stick) and replacement sticks are inexpensive.

I liked Surefire, but they just don't have the output I want at this time.

Originally Posted by fsdork
I've also had a Fenix PD35 for several years, and it's been great.

I have the same light and have no complaints. It's bright, it works, and most importantly it has separate buttons for changing mode and on/off. I don't like lights that you have to cycle through all the modes every time you turn them on/off.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

For a basic single AA light, the Ultratac A1 is great, IMO. 200 lumen output from an AA nimh cell, and nicely spaced out L-M-H modes, and no silly blinky modes.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

That is a nice little light. Where does one find the pleasing blue color like you show? I'm only seeing black.

It's black. My white balance was probably off. Is this better?

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The blue was most pleasing. You had my hopes up
smile.gif

https://www.harborfreight.com/588-lumen-tactical-flashlight-black-63934.html

This is my go to. I use a flashlight at work and they provide us the lights. I tell them to keep theirs and I buy these. Very bright and quite durable. I wait until they are on sale for like $9 or $10 and buy two at a time. The 2 lights usually last me a year and a half of daily use while being constantly beat up. Work provides the batteries so my investment remains low.

Don

if you really want an easy to obtain $3 china zoomie at least get the $6 one at dollar general. it can take a 21700 cell with nothing more than a strip of cereal box as a spacer.
or 18650 with a longer strip of cereal box.
otherwise start with the convoy s2+.
i have never seen anyone unhappy with them.
Originally Posted by Dadillac
https://www.harborfreight.com/588-lumen-tactical-flashlight-black-63934.html

This is my go to. I use a flashlight at work and they provide us the lights. I tell them to keep theirs and I buy these. Very bright and quite durable. I wait until they are on sale for like $9 or $10 and buy two at a time. The 2 lights usually last me a year and a half of daily use while being constantly beat up. Work provides the batteries so my investment remains low.

Don

I have a Streamlight and it is very bright, but I bought a pocket light at HF that is rechargeable with a phone charger. It is the handiest light I have ever had. Always right there in my pocket.

As mentioned here there are flashlight snobs and guys REALLY get into this. There's entire forums dedicated to nothing but.... although hey we're on a forum about motor oil (shrug)

I hate letter batts and button cells and am a Milwaukee cordless junkie....I run the M12 flashlight. I've seen afficionados say it's too big, lumen per $ is bad, the body is constructed of the wrong alloy, and more nit-picking I can't even remember.

For me, I love them. They're bright enough for what OP requests (home and campground), have a beam that can be focused spot to flood, and I've got two dozen M12 batteries from 1.5 to 6.0ah kicking around. Furthermore the rechargeable batt is of course NOT integrated so there's ZERO downtime if a battery goes dead - just pop in a new one while others sit on the charger.

I know, I know - I'm a hack, I'm a squid, I'm an idiot. I just don't need to launch a tactical assault with my flashlights -- I just need a good, solid LED flashlight that's rechargeable as I refuse to buy single use batteries (not because I'm a greenie but because they're a nuisance) and I can't stand rechargeable batteries that are integrated into a tool such that the tool is down during charge time (kinda like a Tesla I guess?)

Anyway, I'll stop making sense....carry on with formulas of lumens per dollar etc...

I am sorry to hear that the Maglite is junk for you. Maglite has been my go-to flashlight for decades now. I returned one flashlight for repair and promptly received it back fully repaired by Maglite free of charge.

Last I knew, they are stilll proudly made in Ontario, CA.

That Harbor Freight light linked by Dadillac is the same thing you can get on Amazon with dozens of different brandings. There's some factory in China cranking those out and slapping different labels on them. I got two a few years ago labelled "Wsiiroon" for $16, $8 apiece. Takes 3 AAAs. Nice and bright with a good "zoom' range from wide and soft to focused.

jeff

I like to buy American when possible and I recently read that Maglites are still made in USA. That's what I have.

Be careful, many Maglite are just "assembled in USA", if that makes a difference for you. Still securing some US jobs IMO, but not the "knowledge" (do you know how hard it is to have an orange peel reflector made in the US? The knowledge is almost gone).

Want a real made in USA light, with as much as possible USA made components (not possible for many electronic parts sadly, but reflector, switch, rubber boot, etc), and it's probably not going to be the same price.

My Stream lights and Sure fire lights have not held up like the Maglights I have

I drove myself nuts one year ago looking for a perfect to me flashlight and finally found it. Coast Polysteel 400

I LOVE this flashlight. As stated, been using it a year (or more) and it simply amazes me.
Construction first rate, really nice, well made feel, including the battery compartment/holder. Fantastic battery life which is a pet peeve of mine regarding most LED flashlights, yeah, its great to get a super bright flame throwing flashlight only to replace the batteries constantly.
Forget that, not for me, this Coast is simply a great well constructed flashlight which gives you a choice of 3 levels of brghtness and killer great battery life on standard AAA batteries. In fact I just checked and still have not replaced the batteries... though maybe I should .
Also check out the Coast Polysteel 600 which runs on AA batteries.

Last edited:
Back