Esso XD3 0W30 in 2005 Tacoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend on mine was by the house the other day when I was doing an oil change on my truck. He saw that I used XD3 in it, and wanted to try it in his Toyota. The current batch I bought is rated SL, which is what his Tacoma requires, so I figured there'd be no problem. His truck has run Mobil 1 5W30 exclusively since it was broken in. It only has about 40 K miles. It is a 4.0L 1GR-FE V6 auto 4x4 truck.

Any opinions?

I'll have to see if he'd do that, but I think it'd be a good oil to try in the Tacoma.

Any other input?

I use 0-30 XD3 in my Nissans, son's Olds, the CJ-4/SM is much more gas engine friendly too with less Zinc for cat concerns. I have used nothing but C1-4/SL with zinc levels of 1500 ppm for last 7 years with no problems on an cat or engines, I still have many jugs of this CI-4/Sl to use up in my stock until I do start buying the CJ/SM version. Put this O-30 XD3 in a glass jar, cap it, put in your freezer as I do, anytime you question using this oil in your engine go to the freezer and tip this jar up side down, watch this oil pour like water, you will keep using it with this reminder. XD3 is a group 1V POA as is Mobil oil, XD3 0-3 is made by Mobil, difference is more additives and 40-50% less cost than Mobil group 1V. I can still get 0-30 XD3 for under $6.00 litre if I look around at UFA (polar plus) etc for sales. Years ago in here Olympic posted UOAs on his Vibe Toyota engine which he ran 50,000 kms on 0-30 XD3 with stellar results, Pitzel runs 52,000 kms on his 3.1 Olds successfully with 0-30 XD3.

Cyprs

Thanks for the post Cyprus. You don't have to list the merits of XD-3 0W30, I've been using it for years and love it. I used in in my old Olds 307 V8 in my now late 1985 Olds Delta 88, and I have used it in my '93 Suburban with a 350 Chev for the last 4 years (exclusively, all year round). My old 350 seems to do well on this oil, virtually no consumption or leaks (and this engine has over 200,000 miles on it, never been opened). I have never done a UOA, but that's only becuase I have no place near-by that does them.

I haven't seen the CJ-4/SM XD-3 in this area yet. I just bought a case last week and it was still CI-4/SL. I guess my Esso distributor still has old stock (I don't think he moves much 0W30, he always tries to push 0W40 on me). Speaking of the oil dealer, he always tries to talk me out of using a "diesel" oil in a gas engine. He tries to sell me Esso Extra instead. Now, I just tell him it's going in a diesel truck just so he leaves me alone!

BTW, I also use XD-3 10w30 in my summer only '72 Torino.

I think I will suggest my friend try out the XD-3 in his 'Yota. If anything, I am sure it will help the cold morning sub -30 starts in January and it will save him a few bucks over Mobil 1.

I do get on a role when it comes to XD3 oil, bad habit.

72 Torino, my father bought one in 1973 with 4K miles, good car, the first 4K kms saw -45F winter starts in Uranium City, Sask, 30 miles from NWT, lasted a long time and tough, we took it up the Alaska Highway as far as Dawson City in 75, ran out of time and had to come home, roads were rough and it took the severe beating. I drove that Torino as a teenager and it took that punnishment too. Dad always maintained the gas mileage never changed whether he drove 60 or 75 mph. Was a nice midnight blue in colour, lasted till 1980.

I had the Esso Tech try to get me to buy Mobil 1 for my gassers rather than XD3 0-30, at the time XD3 was less than half the price of Mobil 1, I simply told him quietly that if 0-30 XD3 was not suitable for my gasser then the rating would be CI-4 and not CI-4/SL. He backed off quietly too.

Esso Dealers in western Canada is now quite rare, in my rural farm/ranch area Esso was networked all over in every small town, now an oil company called BOSS OIL out of Calgary has quietly become the new oil on the block along with Co-op oil which is a long time player. Co-op DMO get basestocks from Esso and puts thier own additives in them to come very close to Esso specs. Co-op DMO 0-40 is nearly exactly the same as 0-40 XD3 in a full group 1V POA, the 0-30 DMO is Esso basestocks but semi syn. I have gone to UFA in the city for Polar Plus which is XD3 syn or Walmart if lucky enough to find XD3 which is 0-40 only if there. UFA is now going Shell, Esso oil being phased out from what I here.

If you ever suspect XD3 to be sold under an other lable by another distributor look for a green stamp of E------------- at bottom of neck of bottle and for 3 stars at bottom of container, dead give aways that it is oil from Esso bottled by Esso with another lable.

I remember the days of buying Super Store Presidents Choice 15-40 oil for 1.88 per litre, classic green stamp and 3 stars, XD3. YUK from Edmonton actually called Esso Tech and gave the green stamp # from a President Choice bottle of 15-40, he told Esso tech that his child tore off the lables from his Esso bottles and he wanted to know what multi grade oil was in them, the Esso tech confirmed that the stamp # indicated XD3 15-40 from Strathmore refinery in Alberta. Bitog members can be resourceful.

Lot of Esso oils under a lot of lables everywhere for good deals, I believe Unival is Esso oil at Home Hardware, last I checked years ago I saw the green stamp and 3 stars on the bottles at Home Hardware, some Ford oils were Esso a few years ago, not up on all this now as I was before, there are a few out there if one looks around for stamps and stars, funny how companies like Esso can have thier products sold for less by others.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back