16,106mi M1-212A failure C&P

I think the problem is with the high bypass in cold climates, perhaps because the bypass activation pressure is so high it causes a rapid drop in differential pressure, shuts again cause a rapid spike in pressure on the inlet side again, which rapidly opens the bypass but then it bleeds pressure quickly and shuts and then the cycle repeats and the repeated compressions and decompression are ripping the media apart.

I think the problem is with the high bypass in cold climates, perhaps because the bypass activation pressure is so high it causes a rapid drop in differential pressure, shuts again cause a rapid spike in pressure on the inlet side again, which rapidly opens the bypass but then it bleeds pressure quickly and shuts and then the cycle repeats and the repeated compressions and decompression are ripping the media apart.
Combined with that stellar Puro media & pleat spacing, it's a miracle they last 5-7500 miles.

This is an issue with either bypass, weak media support, or both. Either by too wide media spacing or not enough backing media support (Wire backed) etc. When the pressure goes as high as the bypass PSI it takes out the weakest link in the process. However, this bad I wouldn't be surprised if there was bypass not opening when required. It has 20k intervals written on the side & lower efficiency so this filter shouldn't have torn. Was the media real griddy/dirty/carbon?
Media has some grit in the bottom of the pleats but I wouldn't say its excessive

That's a different media tearing failure, in that the media tore down deep in the pleats, and on pleats that didn't have any wide spacing - so the media didn't tear from the pleats excessively bending. Leads me to think (like others already mentioned) that this filter was seeing repeated high bypass valve dP across the media - Note, the max dP across the media is way less than the max oil pressure seen on the dashboard. The dP is at or maybe lightly above the filter's bypass valve setting. Could be where the media tore, the pleats were not fully contacting the center tube and with repeated high dP events they finally tore open.

Last edited:
Maybe the engine can't handle the 16K interval. I wouldn't go over 10K. How good the filter is, is irrelevant if the engine is the culprit. Get a UOA at the 10K mark.

Maybe the engine can't handle the 16K interval. I wouldn't go over 10K. How good the filter is, is irrelevant if the engine is the culprit. Get a UOA at the 10K mark.
The owner has taken uoa which has brought him to 16k interval. I collected sample for him and he can decide with uoa what interval he wants to use next.

Thank you everyone for the helpful feedback. I am less concerned of the engine having a mechanical problem and will likely switch out the current m1 212A for a wire backed titanium or endurance at some point this interval, even though this interval wont likely have cold outside temps and higher media dP. I will post the uoa from this oil interval if possible.

I am less concerned of the engine having a mechanical problem and will likely switch out the current m1 212A for a wire backed titanium or endurance at some point this interval ...
Note that the Titaniums are switching over to non-wire backed media, as the Ultras did. Bring a good flashlight and verify if it has wire backing through the center tube.

I believe it. mobil's filters and oil are a joke. It's why ill use orange cans before m1 filters.
Mobil doesn't make oil filters, they are produced by the same pair of companies that produce all the other filters. We've seen tears on many filters from across the spectrum, the only filters we've never seen tears with are the synthetic media ones like the OG Ultra, EaO, RP...etc.

This isn't on Mobil (and their oils are just fine, that assertion is baseless tripe) it's on who manufactured it, though Mobil may or may not be who handles the warranty depending on how the arrangement works.

I think I would dial back the OCI to the recommended interval, or maybe 7500 miles max and go for a wire-backed filter like the Fram Endurance, then if all looked well at the next change gradually increase to get back up to 15K or so.

A UOA will show if the oil change interval needs to be changed, but regardless the filter is the issue here, not any of the other factors. There is a post a few lines up from this one currently of a cheap Champ WP2835 that took 16,000 miles of abuse and looked much better.

Obviously a wire-backed filter would be a better solution, but they are more expensive.

A UOA will show if the oil change interval needs to be changed, but regardless the filter is the issue here, not any of the other factors. There is a post a few lines up from this one currently of a cheap Champ WP2835 that took 16,000 miles of abuse and looked much better.
But that's a filter with the standard ~8-14psi bypass not the ~16-28psi used on newer GM engines. A PH10063 or PH10064 used is a cold climate is a better comparison.

Back