16,106mi M1-212A failure C&P

But that's a filter with the standard ~8-14psi bypass not the ~16-28psi used on newer GM engines. A PH10063 or PH10064 used is a cold climate is a better comparison.
For sure, you are definitely right about that. My only point is that this filter isn't a cheap "jobber" type filter, and it makes me skeptical about the blanket claims many of these filter companies make about 20,000 mile filters. I'd be very curious what a Supertech MP filter for this application would look like after 16k miles, or even something like a Fram TG.

For sure, you are definitely right about that. My only point is that this filter isn't a cheap "jobber" type filter, and it makes me skeptical about the blanket claims many of these filter companies make about 20,000 mile filters. I'd be very curious what a Supertech MP filter for this application would look like after 16k miles, or even something like a Fram TG.
Good point jeepman3071. I won’t ever use these anymore.

I took the old champion labs version M1 filter out to 20k and it looked perfectly fine. They were never wire backed then either.

Why did you install the same filter that you are questioning its quality? If I saw that I wouldn't use another one.

Why did you install the same filter that you are questioning its quality? If I saw that I wouldn't use another one.
Because the old filter was torn apart after the new filter already put on. New filter will be short changed and different new filter will be put on.

M1 212A filter off a 19 Silverado 4.3 V6. Dudes truck has 83k miles and it was a 16,106mi interval. I see at least 4 media failures. Am I missing something? What causes this level of failure? Oil was m1 5w30 ep. I dont think he abuses his truck. Mild towing and daily commuting since November 22.

Another m1 212A went on, and m1 0w40 in.

He samples his used oil. Collected sample for him. Will share if possible.
M1 filters have a 20,000 mile rating so I'd speculate its a manufacturing defect in the media.

M1 filters have a 20,000 mile rating so I'd speculate its a manufacturing defect in the media.
Though I always wonder how many filters fail and we never know. Unless you're cutting your filters regularly you probably would have no idea in most cases. After all, a lot of vehicles ran with no oil filters before they became a thing. Not saying it is a good thing, just that oil filtration may be well down on the list of things to worry about.

Yes how many people even check a filter? Only about 13% of the people even do their own oil changes according to current statistics. My guess is 1 in 10 of those cut their filters to check them. I've been cutting them for years now and yet to find a Boobalator!

Not saying it is a good thing, just that oil filtration may be well down on the list of things to worry about.
For some, it's just as important than other things that keep an engine healthy. ;) Not ignoring anything in the trifecta of engine heath (oil, oil filter & air filter) is an good thing IMO.

M1 212A filter off a 19 Silverado 4.3 V6. Dudes truck has 83k miles and it was a 16,106mi interval. I see at least 4 media failures. Am I missing something? What causes this level of failure? Oil was m1 5w30 ep. I dont think he abuses his truck. Mild towing and daily commuting since November 22.

Another m1 212A went on, and m1 0w40 in.

He samples his used oil. Collected sample for him. Will share if possible.
So much for “extended performance”. Louvers look like a blind man made them. I’ll stay far away from these. Nice photos sir. Thank You

The louvers on the filter in post #1 look pretty good. The media tearing, not so good however.
Dunno but these look like 💩💩💩

Attachments

• IMG_6388.jpeg
    IMG_6388.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 37
I did post earlier in this Thread, my thought, and it is a thought, is that a Non Wired Back Oil Filter should not be extended more than 10K. If it says this Oil Filter type can go longer than 10K then it has to be under the right conditions. What are the right conditions, I do not know, but maybe highway driving.

To the OP, a slight media failure will not kill an engine, but it is something we do not want to see. I saw a media failure with a non wire backed oil filter at 5500 miles, and all I use now are Wire Backed Oil Filters.

I did post earlier in this Thread, my thought, and it is a thought, is that a Non Wired Back Oil Filter should not be extended more than 10K. If it says this Oil Filter type can go longer than 10K then it has to be under the right conditions. What are the right conditions, I do not know, but maybe highway driving.

To the OP, a slight media failure will not kill an engine, but it is something we do not want to see. I saw a media failure with a non wire backed oil filter at 5500 miles, and all I use now are Wire Backed Oil Filters.
I pushed ancient fram tough guard to 20k plus without issue. And it was on a beater Toyota that drank oil like water.

I’ll disagree on non wire backed statement. A media failure is a failure no matter how you slice it. Un-acceptable. I don’t want media flowing thru my engine; maybe you don’t care but I darn’d sure do!

I pushed ancient fram tough guard to 20k plus without issue. And it was on a beater Toyota that drank oil like water.

I’ll disagree on non wire backed statement. A media failure is a failure no matter how you slice it. Un-acceptable. I don’t want media flowing thru my engine; maybe you don’t care but I darn’d sure do!

Agree or disagree, my point is there is a better chance of media failure with a non wired back oil filter as opposed to a Wire Backed Oil Filter.
I care, that is why I am using a Wire Backed Media Oil Filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a follow up here is the used oil sample analysis from this oil change. It is a screenshot so hopefully image is visible. Oil was sampled hot from oil pan drain hole. Universal averages show the 5.3L V8 and his is the 4.3L V6. I made him aware of it. Insolubles appear similar to previous oil samples

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230802-175441_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230802-175441_Messages.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 36
As a follow up here is the used oil sample analysis from this oil change. It is a screenshot so hopefully image is visible. Oil was sampled hot from oil pan drain hole. Universal averages show the 5.3L V8 and his is the 4.3L V6. I made him aware of it. Insolubles appear similar to previous oil samples
Wonder if they can get the silicon down any. Or try to get Universal mileage avg to get an idea how much silicon these produce to see if it's out of the ordinary. The avg Iron reading is 4.459 for all samples shown. That is not terrible but not exactly great & the Avg's that blackstone has would clear that up. Thanks for sharing!

Wonder if they can get the silicon down any. Or try to get Universal mileage avg to get an idea how much silicon these produce to see if it's out of the ordinary. The avg Iron reading is 4.459 for all samples shown. That is not terrible but not exactly great & the Avg's that blackstone has would clear that up. Thanks for sharing!
Seems that Blackstone's "Universal Avg" wear particles number is just the average without any mileage reference. IMO, their Universal Avg should be expressed in ppm/1000 miles, that would normalize it for a better reference to compare someone's UOA numbers to, which should also be looked at in the ppm/1000 miles format.

Last edited:
Seems that Bkackstone's "Universal Avg" number is just the average without any mileage reference. IMO, their Universal Avg should be expressed in ppm/1000 miles, that would normalize it for a better reference to compare someone's UOA numbers to, which should also be looked at in the ppm/1000 mile format.
For the price they charge... That would be wonderful! It would save me from doing more math :LOL:. I'm fairly sure BS has an average mileage but they choose to state it only once in a while on the analysis results given to the customer.

I'll look into the silicon for sure. Intake seems well sealed from dirt but I'll check for sure. Thanks for the insight!

Back