Motomaster Low Viscosity ATF - Dexron 3 Application?

I'm doing a drain and fill for a 2003 Suzuki XL7. I believe it's a 4sp Aisin 03-72LS. It's spec'd for Dex 3. Dex 5 is apparently backwards compatible although lower viscosity. The vehicle in in a very cold climate half the year, - 40c/-40f so a good synthetic would help a lot. Low Viscosity not necessarily a bad thing.

MotoMaster used to sell a Dex 3 and a Dex 5 ATF. It appears they still sell a Dex 3, but the Dex 5 is gone from shelves. Probably they don't want to pay licensing for "Dexron 5"? The product that appears to have replaced it is:

Which by the MSDS is made by Irving, likely their Transflo Multi-Vehicle https://www.irvingoil.com/sites/default/files/2023-09/TRANSflo LV_ENG.pdf.

Assuming it is, that product is licenced Dex 5.

Or, use MM Dex 3. Or Transmax Full Syn or Maxlife. After 2 or 3 drain and fills, on the last one, I'll add Lubegard Red.

Thoughts?

Well first off there is no such thing as DEXRON-V. That was skipped in the licensing.

DEXRON-VI is backwards licensed to prior classifications. And although it starts off as a lower viscosity it has better viscosity retention as required by the license.

You can use any LV ATF with no problem, including Motomaster and Maxlife :)

I haven't see the Castrol Full Synthetic ATF anywhere since they came out with the ATF/CVT combo

Did someone say Dex 6? One of the independents here sells it for the equivalent of $30 US per jug.

39C4CB75-6804-40E7-B36B-E39C28803E99.jpeg

Last edited:
Back