Do you shake your oil containers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange.. Somewhere on here I remember reading that new oil in fact does have some "type of containments". Thus a good reason to run a higher efficiency oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What? There better not be any contaminants in my brand new oil!
smile.gif

I believe Jim Allen did some particle counts, and things aren't always as rosy as we'd hope for them to be. Bottles certainly are better than bulk oil in that respect, but not as good, even, as well filtered used oil. So, what about shaking about an hour before using, and see if that gives sufficient time for contaminants to drop back out, or would the additive fallout win the race?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher
It would be interesting to see the VOA difference of oil poured without shaking, and then a sample from 5 qts of "residue" boosted oil.

Apparently, some of the residue on the bottom of the jugs doesn't exactly blend in very readily, to say the least, at least the stuff that people talk about seeing in Pennzoil bottles. I've never really had the experience with it (i.e. really never checked to see if there was any, let alone try a remedy).

My gap year, I worked at a Shell service station. Shell Manuka to be precise.

The two oils that we sold were Shell Super, 20W40, and XMO which was a 15W30...if only I knew then what I know now....then XMO HI (Hi vis, a 40 grade came in with XHVI basestocks).

I had access to the 40/50ml of oil that was left in every litre bottle that was left in the bins, and quickly came up with full litres. Used them for top-up.

The white bottles, (plus Dad's GTX) always had a residue in the bottom that was very dark grey, nearly black...never sandy or dirt looking.

Former member Stinky Peterson did all the VOAs with particle count, and virgin oils were quite putrid. Here's a couple from my hard drive.

At work, the turbine bypass system needs to be filtered to 5um before we add the oil, or it will never clean up in service.

When Blackstone tested the old ebay oils, they took a can, and put it in a paint shaker versus just testing another. They had no difference between the thoroughly mixed and the stagnant oil WRT additive concentrations.

Leads me to think that it's just dirt.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I knew you'd come up with the data; you had before.
wink.gif

I can't believe that I never saved all of the VOAs hat he published

I never used to shake oil and I never thought about it until....
My '71 Cougar needed a transmission oil change. This car has a drain plug on the torque converter, so by the time you are done, it takes a few quart of type "F" oil.
I started out with about 4 quart of Pennzoil and then continued the fill with another brand, possibly SuperTech. I looked at all the old, empty Pennzoil bottles and they all had quite a bit of fallout in the bottom of each yellow bottle. I put some oil in each empty container and shook each bottle for a good 30 seconds to get it all out.
Since then, I always shake engine oil quart bottles. I pour about 3/4 of a quart into the engine and then shake the remaining 1/4 quart vigorously and then pour it into the engine.
No, I'm not worried about the foamy oil that I pour in. It will separate.

Of course something is going to fall out of suspension, if at all possible, if oil has sat for an appreciable amount of time. Common sense. Shake the blessed bottle before opening, pour it in and be done with it.

Got 5 pages out of it so far in this thread!

Last edited:
I only shake products that say shake well before use like Ketchup and other kitchen condiments. I have owned vehicles since 1976 and have had ZERO, yes ZERO engine issues to date related to not shaking the motor oil before pouring it in. LOL!! But my whiskey always shaken not stirred.

Yes! Every time! I sometimes cut the bottom off an empty quart to use as a funnel. One time I saw the additives had settled in a bottom corner of the bottle. That was enough to convince me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back