2023 High Mileage Oil comparison

Would you be able to add Walmart SuperTech High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 to the grid above,
as that is the only oil I'm currently using.
That’s the plan. I’m hoping someone else tests this oil or contributes to help me pay for it. Someone has already PayPal me $25 to help cover the costs.

If I remember correctly they don’t test for oxidation or TBN. Plus it would be better for all the oils in this comparison to be from the same lab.
Not true they show TBN and its at no extra cost,
Toyota Corolla UOS QSUD 5w-30.jpg

Here's another one https://partshawk.com/wix-24382-engine-oil-filter-kit.html

But since RA's website is not being user friendly perhaps these folks can help you out!
Both of those are fuel test strips. But I dug around a bit and found the correct stuff. A bit more expensive these days though.
- RockAuto: $31 shipped.
- FPC: $15 kit plus $32 shipping...
- Amazon: $24.99
- NAPA: $21.99 (same kit, just under NAPA name)

I decided to use part of the $25 @Pokoki79 sent to buy the oil this weekend. My WM was out of single qts of Super Tech HM 5W30, but I did pick up a qt of the new Quaker State HM Dexos1 Gen3. Interesting that Quaker State has not updated their website or PDS sheets yet. They still show the old HM version from over 2 1/2 years ago:

Has anyone figured out how to get a PDS sheet from Warren for Super Tech oils? There was someone on these forums awhile back that had gotten some, but I haven't figured out who to email or call to get that info.

Quaker State HM FS 5W30 D1G3 sample is on its way to Oil Analyzers. Should have results in about a week or so. Thanks again to @Pokoki79 for helping pay.

My local Walmart has been out of stock on the Supertech HM FS D1G3 in single quarts for a couple of weeks now. As soon as it comes in, I'll buy a quart and get it tested.

Quaker State HM FS 5W30 D1G3 sample is on its way to Oil Analyzers. Should have results in about a week or so. Thanks again to @Pokoki79 for helping pay.

My local Walmart has been out of stock on the Supertech HM FS D1G3 in single quarts for a couple of weeks now. As soon as it comes in, I'll buy a quart and get it tested.
AAANNNDDD...Supertech was on the shelves last night in 1qt bottles, so that sample will get mailed today and hopefully have a VOA back in about a week.

Here is an updated chart with Quaker State and Supertech added in. I also listed the claimed viscosities on the PDS along with a percentage of how different the VOA was to the PDS. Pennzoil Platinum the the lowest visc. compared to PDS while a few of them overachieved slightly. ;)

The Castrol, Quaker State and Supertech have Dexos1 Gen3 approval. Mobil 1, Pennzoil and Valvoline do not.

HM Comparison Pt 2.png

Chances are it's a bit of a 'snake oil sales pitch' which I must admit to buying into...
Just so I'm not double-posting, here is a link to a post from another thread:
The videos I linked to are queued to play from the relevant part, so you only have to watch a couple of minutes rather than the entire videos. He certainly makes it appear that High Mileage oil is definitely NOT snake oil.

After watching his videos and looking at these VOAs, it appears that focusing on the Oxidation values will tell us which oil has the most seal conditioning esters. From that standpoint, the Mobil 1 EP wins, followed closely by Valvoline EP.

Just so I'm not double-posting, here is a link to a post from another thread:
The videos I linked to are queued to play from the relevant part, so you only have to watch a couple of minutes rather than the entire videos. He certainly makes it appear that High Mileage oil is definitely NOT snake oil.

After watching his videos and looking at these VOAs, it appears that focusing on the Oxidation values will tell us which oil has the most seal conditioning esters. From that standpoint, the Mobil 1 EP wins, followed closely by Valvoline EP.
My reaction after watching the videos...

1693277711175.jpg

Just a note. These are the only high mileage oils on the Dexos Gen 3 list (GM Approved):

#1. Mobil 1 High Mileage
#2. Quaker State High Mileage
#3. O'Reillys Syntec High Mileage
#4 Castrol Edge High Mileage
#5. Royal Purple

interestingly to me that Mobil 1 High Mileage is not listed as being Dexos 1 Gen 3 approved on their own website and their bottles no longer carry any Dexos approval...however I do see it listed on GM's own Dexos listing...curious

Bill

Last edited:
Just a note. These are the only high mileage oils on the Dexos Gen 3 list (GM Approved):

#1. Mobil 1 High Mileage
#2. Quaker State High Mileage
#3. O'Reillys Syntec High Mileage
#4 Castrol Edge High Mileage
#5. Royal Purple
The M1 I tested was Extended Performance High Mileage. I wonder if their regular HM is D1G3 approved, but the EP is not? I bet even if it's not, it is. ;)

Reactions: wlk
Do we know what Shell/Pennzoil is using that doesn't show up in these reports? The add pack seems pretty weak but is there a non-metallic they could be using, or is it that the GTL base oil is that good? Mobil 1 uses GTL too though, since at least the Triple Action formula came out, and the add pack looks more stout.

Do we know what Shell/Pennzoil is using that doesn't show up in these reports? The add pack seems pretty weak but is there a non-metallic they could be using, or is it that the GTL base oil is that good? Mobil 1 uses GTL too though, since at least the Triple Action formula came out, and the add pack looks more stout.
I wish I knew the answer to that. :)

How would you all rank these, based on the VOAs?

My personal ranking would be:
1. Mobil 1 EP
2. Valvoline EP
3. Castrol EDGE
4. Quaker State
5. Pennzoil Platinum
6. Supertech

Back