2023 High Mileage Oil comparison

Chances are it's a bit of a 'snake oil sales pitch' which I must admit to buying into...
Not quite true, @MolaKule posted a few years ago about HM oils, that they have higher levels of additives (antioxidants & seal conditioners mainly, IIRC) and that there would be zero detriment to an engine if you started using those oils on Day 1 of an engine’s life. That’s hardly a “snake oil” in my book…

Certifications determine what an oil is or isn’t applicable for use in, not a ~$30 oil analysis. If all the oils carry the same certifications, you will never be able to pin a failure (or success, for that matter) onto a given oil with anything more than emotions.
Yep, look at API license requirements (or any manufacturer approval requirements) and see how many of them are obtained by a typical values PDS or spectrographic analysis. Nowhere does it say a "slug of boron" or "dose of moly" :)

Certifications determine what an oil is or isn’t applicable for use in, not a ~$30 oil analysis. If all the oils carry the same certifications, you will never be able to pin a failure (or success, for that matter) onto a given oil with anything more than emotions
agreed. which brings up a question........i wonder how many lubrication related failures there are, assuming use of the proper spec? and how many might be misdiagnosed as part failure?

Apparently the bump in oxidation is tangible evidence. From what I understand, typical synthetic (non-HM) oils have a virgin oxidation value around 4 or less. This link should jump you to the part of the video where this is discussed:

Interesting video, I quite liked that. So TBN is a little bit of an old, not so useful measure these days.

According to that video, the PP HM even though it has less oxidation levels, would have the same amount of seal conditioner as the non HM oil would have a lower natural oxidation level due to the GTL process that Pennzoil (Shell) uses.

Here's an update. I filled my 03 Civic with M1 EP HM 5W30 at my last oil change. I based my oil choice on M1 having the highest starting oxidation of the HM oils I had analyzed in this thread. From what I gathered, higher virgin oxidation indicates more seal conditioning esters.

I am now 700 miles into my oil change and the dipstick is still reading at the full mark. Previous oil was Pennzoil Platinum Euro L (a much higher viscosity oil than the M1), and after 600 miles the oil level had already dropped 25% on the dipstick. So maybe there is something to these seal conditioners...

Here's an update. I filled my 03 Civic with M1 EP HM 5W30 at my last oil change. I based my oil choice on M1 having the highest starting oxidation of the HM oils I had analyzed in this thread. From what I gathered, higher virgin oxidation indicates more seal conditioning esters.

I am now 700 miles into my oil change and the dipstick is still reading at the full mark. Previous oil was Pennzoil Platinum Euro L (a much higher viscosity oil than the M1), and after 600 miles the oil level had already dropped 25% on the dipstick. So maybe there is something to these seal conditioners...
Now at 970 miles on this oil and the dipstick is about 15% below the full mark. On my previous oil (PP Euro L), at 900 miles I was already 40% below the full mark. So I'm still losing oil, just at a much slower rate.

Certain engines like certain oils. Older engines like yours usually always prefer HM oils (leaks and/or otherwise).

I don't recall seeing HM oils at either the Amsoil or HPL websites. What's built into their additive packages show the lack of need.

Quality shines! One just needs to know how to find it and have enough moola' to buy it....lol
I did the Pennzoil-thing for at least two decades. No complaints along-the-way. Now for $25-$30 purchases of five quart jugs, I'd reach for Mobil-1 HM if needed (EP whenever possible). Less consumption worries with Mobil-1 and everything else remains on-par with the Ultra Platinum (what I used)

Last edited:
I use high mileage oil in my Accent with near 200k miles on it. Have for about the last 50k miles. Works great and uses less oil every oil change but that has been going on since new. No leaks, no smoke, just rust.

This thread reminded me to put Valvoline FS HM w/Maxlife 10W-30 on my short list of oils for certain cars i know. It should be the same as the 5W-30 but with less VII and .1 higher HTHS.

......plus i do likes me moly.

Thanks for this.

Yep, look at API license requirements (or any manufacturer approval requirements) and see how many of them are obtained by a typical values PDS or spectrographic analysis. Nowhere does it say a "slug of boron" or "dose of moly" :)
And robust or not …
also swirled it in a wine glass - let it breath - checked for legs …

Quaker State HM
QS HM FS 5W30.jpg

Back