Do you shake your oil containers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never used to... but after reading on this site about additives settling, and seeing sediment at the bottom of bottles I do now!

ALWAYS!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Superflan
What about oil in big 208 liters barrels?

Additives settle out. I've had to toss a few barrels Mobil Jet for additive settling.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Additives settle out. I've had to toss a few barrels Mobil Jet for additive settling.

Turn the barrel over for a day or two then roll it.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Turn the barrel over for a day or two then roll it.

Nope, we chucked 'em. 4 or 5 barrels with the same lot #. Oversight decided it wasn't worth the risk. You try finding a few Klimov TV3-117VM engines under current sanctions and you'd understand.

In an auto shop you could probably just roll the barrels around, but my decision would just be to purchase an appropriate amount of oil and make sure it gets used before additive settling becomes an issue.

How about this, though. If you shake the container to mix in additives that may have fallen out of suspension, you're also mixing in contaminants that have settled out on the shelf, too.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
How about this, though. If you shake the container to mix in additives that may have fallen out of suspension, you're also mixing in contaminants that have settled out on the shelf, too.
wink.gif

You sneaky tailor

Yes, became more careful after seeing additive fallout in the bottles of the Pennzoil Platinum I was using.
Now, I made it part of the oil change. Going through the different steps, warm up the oil by going for a drive, drain oil, change oil filter, put the funnel in the oil fill in preparation to pour in the oil, shake the oil container, and then pour.

When it comes to shaking the containers, after trying a couple different ways, I now shake them by turning them upside down and rocking the container back and forth. By turning the oil bottle upside down, this puts the air gap right there where the additive fallout is, then, sloshing the oil in this air gap against the sediment really works well to dissolve it back into suspension in the oil.

wink.gif

I have heard this argument before, that the stuff that settles could be contaminates. No idea if they are or not.

I usually don't shake the containers, but I do look in the bottom after I pour. If I see anything, I pour a little oil from the next container into the empty one, enough to cover the bottom of the container, and shake that while the current one is going in, then repeat with the rest of the bottles. The last little bit that pours out after shaking in 4-5 other containers is a lot darker than the oil that had come out, but it is a "super" concentrated additive (or contaminate) dose. Maybe I should save all of it, and after a few years, I would have a super strong oil additive oil change.

It would be interesting to see the VOA difference of oil poured without shaking, and then a sample from 5 qts of "residue" boosted oil.

It is funny Pennzoil is mentioned above, they have been one of the ones that pretty much always has some fallout left at the bottom, but I have seen it in Valvoline and Peak as well.
Oddly enough, I have not seen it in Quaker State, but have not had a bunch of that (I have 3 5 qt jugs of it).

wink.gif

What? There better not be any contaminants in my brand new oil!
smile.gif

I do, since the day I bought some old valvoline gear oil bottle, after peak inside, i saw some dark stuff at the bottom of the bottle, so I shake it and its dissappear , from then I shake every bottle include oil lol , that was since 2003

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

I wonder if Blackstone shakes samples for UOA before tests, anyone know??

USPS shakes it for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back